What should I do next ? What are my chances ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nknhatkhanh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some basic info about me
1. International Student (Vietnamese) - F1 student Visa
2. Major - Biology
3. Just graduated (undergraduate degree)
4. Overall GPA 3.79
5. Science GPA 3.80
6. DAT (17AA - PA 20, QR 16, RC 13, BIO 19, GC 18, OC 19, TS 18). I KNOW IT'S REALLY LAME (4 weeks of medium study). Going to retake it in the end of July (2nd time)
7. Shadow hours ~ 130
8. Extracurricular activities, volunteer hours ~ 200
9. Research hours ~ 180 (both undergraduate & graduate research)
10. Work Experience - Teaching Assistance for Bio (4 semesters)
11. Applied last cycle - late applicant (early October), low DAT score --> didn't get in any school.
Since I'm an international student, I have to _____ (below) to extend my immigration status.
1. Continue going to school (graduate or undergraduate).
2. Apply for work
Something interesting about me
1. All of my relative are engineers
2. plan B is to switch major
My questions are...
1. Should I work as an engineer ? (I have relatives that can hook me up without any experience, sounds impossible but possible. But, will it affect my application ???)
2. Should I continue as a master degree in General Biology? (Can buy me 2 extra years in the US, if I won't get in to Dent school, then what?)
3. Should I switch major into Engineering? (Pros - buy me 3 extra years, later can get a job & stay in the US. Cons - will this affect my application ?)
All it boils down to
1. I really want to be in dental field but don't know what road is best to choose.
2. Don't want to choose the way that can jeopardize my hard work of the last 4 years
Something I know little about
1. International students (like me) have very low acceptance rate -->What are my chances of getting in ?

I would take any advice/ opinion from any of SDNers that has been through this.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Retake DAT, boost shadowing hours and you'll be fine