What should I do NOW?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureMD4294

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I def def messed up big time.
Hi, I am a recent May graduate from UGA, I spent my last 2 months traveling and taking summer courses for PA school (I was pre-PA) and recently I have decided to go, PRE MED. I have landed an OR Assistant job that I will start working part time for on August 8th. My GPAs/EC are all descent; As far as MCAT, I've took one practice FL and received a 487 with NO studying on Kaplan. At this point I have a few options:

- Option 1: Take MCAT on September 10th (<6 weeks) GO ALL IN, apply this cycle to only DO schools because their cycle runs a lot later than MD. {If I score low on last 2 weeks, I will not take the exam}

- Option 2: Take MCAT later in the year, January and/or May, apply early to both MD and DO schools (2 GAP YEARS THO :/ might be discouraging, what would i even do?)

- Option 3: Apply to popular Caribbean schools such as ROSS, with my September MCAT and save 2 years!

mom recommends: September MCAT, and giving it a shot this cycle

Any other suggestions/potential options would be lifesaving.... Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

What's wrong with taking 2 gap years?

Reactions: 1 users
Option 2. Give yourself the time to do your best and know that you are able to pursue all of your options. During that time, shadow, volunteer, and work. Get a good perspective of medicine and make your app strong!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely Option 2. Studying for the MCAT in less than six weeks is a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: 6 users
I think you should rush the decision because heaven forbid you wait until you're 25 to apply to med school. I mean you might as well pay for med school with your Social Security checks if you apply at that age. It's not like you could get a job and work. Maybe volunteer more or work in lab. Do things that not only put money in your pocket but improve your resume.

Reactions: 3 users
You can try both 1 and 2. If you score very well on multiple practice tests prior to the exam, then take it, no need to postpone until January. As for applying, see how you do with MCAT first.
Option 3, no.

Reactions: 3 users
Ain't nothing wrong with 2 gap years. I had 2 gap years and started school in GA and doing fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I think your biggest mistake was attending UGA.

THWG!

I kid, but not really.

Take the MCAT once, see what your score is. If it's competitive, apply MD. If you don't get in, apply MD/DO next cycle.
If your MCAT isn't competitive, apply DO.
Do NOT go to the Caribbean. Ever.

A year or two will be trivial over the course of your entire career.

You sound very young, do NOT go option 3 whatever you do. Also, do not rush the MCAT that is a death sentence.

You need to sit back, relax, and chill out for a minute.
Taking time off is never a bad idea, as it has been said time and time again, it is better to apply once and apply well. You have plenty of time, medical school is not going anywhere and why not take that time to improve your resume?

What's wrong with taking 2 gap years?[/youQUOTE ]
I honestly don't know what Id do besides
I think you should rush the decision because heaven forbid you wait until you're 25 to apply to med school. I mean you might as well pay for med school with your Social Security checks if you apply at that age. It's not like you could get a job and work. Maybe volunteer more or work in lab. Do things that not only put money in your pocket but improve your resume.
change the way you word your help man. You can discourage so many people with harsh inaccurate opinion... Really?... "Social security money" give me a break

You sound very young, do NOT go option 3 whatever you do. Also, do not rush the MCAT that is a death sentence.

You need to sit back, relax, and chill out for a minute.
Taking time off is never a bad idea, as it has been said time and time again, it is better to apply once and apply well. You have plenty of time, medical school is not going anywhere and why not take that time to improve your resume?
I agree thank man. I'm gonna move my date to January. And if I'm not ready by then, I'll takes it in May.
Haha im 22.

I think your biggest mistake was attending UGA.

THWG!

I kid, but not really.

Take the MCAT once, see what your score is. If it's competitive, apply MD. If you don't get in, apply MD/DO next cycle.
If your MCAT isn't competitive, apply DO.
Do NOT go to the Caribbean. Ever.

A year or two will be trivial over the course of your entire career.
why is the carribean terrible???

why is the carribean terrible???
You are really kicking a dead horse on this forum, use the search bar, type "carribean," and read literally any resulting thread for an answer.

Match Rates:
MD, DO, Caribbean
94%, 80%, 53%

The End.
OP,

Keep in mind these percentages don't reflect how much more difficult it is for Caribbean students to land more competitive residencies. So these percentages are even worse than they look.

OP,

Keep in mind these percentages don't reflect how much more difficult it is for Caribbean students to land more competitive residencies. So these percentages are even worse than they look.

Even worse is the uncertainty of how the merger will affect these numbers (general consensus is negatively due to more US DOs graduating every year).

All credit to the moms out there, but taking advice from people unfamiliar with this process is unwise.

The MCAT is really, really important, arguably more so than GPA. Do not put yourself in the situation where you need a retake; this test is not a joke and every attempt you have scored will follow you on your application record forever. Multiple scores will likely be averaged and questions of your character/abilities may start to become factors with multiple takes depending on performance. Scoring a 487 on a practice with no studying probably means you are a ways out from your prereq classes. Have you taken Biochemistry? That is fairly essential for the new MCAT format in both the C/P and B/B sections and might not have been emphasized when you were knocking out prereqs as a fresh/soph.

Anyways, take your time with option 2. Utilize the second gap year to bulk up the resume while also pursuing your other interests or goals that you wont have time for when you are in med school/residency/attending. People take more than one gap year all the time, don't sweat it and screw yourself over for haste sake.

but why are the match rates terrible?

They are not accredited by the same body (LCME) as US Medical Schools so represent an unknown entity from that point of view.

Second, students have a tendency to drop out, fail, and re-do entire courses at higher rates than US grads.

Third, Carib schools have tenuous or non-existent ties to clinical education opportunities in the US. The ties they do have do not have the best reputation and there is a further concern about conflict of interest given that financial ties between the school and the hospital might also be involved. Many Carib students are left on their own to seek out whatever clinical opportunities they can find period, let alone in the states.

Fourth, the institutions that own and run Carib schools don't have the best reputation in the states for being ethical institutions with a serious educational commitment.

Disclaimer: Puerto Rico schools while being physically in the Caribbean are LCME accredited and totally valid options (provided you fit their mission)

All of these things are more important than the letters on the diploma. Obviously, some people do manage to match in spite of all of these barriers, not to mention the general bias that Carib students went to the Carib because they were subpar to begin with and were not patient or diligent enough to find another way. Going Carib is like trying to run in a marathon after shooting yourself in the foot.

To answer Op: Option 2 is probably best, you are making the right choice by taking your time and ensuring that you are well prepared.

Last edited: