What Should I Do Now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BEEKAY24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my DAT.....

...and let's just say I want to ball up and cry.

My scores were pitiful to say the least. I was expecting a 18-20 AA due to the fact that I wasn't able to study to my fullest potential because of personal issues...

I did consider pushing it back, but I was getting great scores on all of my practice exams, so I figured I would be good.

My top choice was Howard and I don't even think I can get in.

I'm going into my final year of undergrad, so what do you all recommend that I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Well how did you actually do and what is your gpa? We can't even comment on your situation without knowing those two things. Also are you URM?

It's so embarrassing.

RCT 22
QRT 17
PAT 16
BIO 18
GC: 17
OC: ....11 (going into the exam this was my strongest subject, I almost broke down in the testing center because I was that shocked)

My GPA is a 3.44, and yes I'm an URM.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should definetly retake. Also, why is Howard your top choice? their tuition is really high. Because you have a good GPA, and are a URM you should think about more cheaper schools- but your DAT scores are kind of weak to do that now. It seems your TS/AA will come out lower than 17 and that's not good.

It's so embarrassing.

RCT 22
QRT 17
PAT 16
BIO 18
GC: 17
OC: ....11 (going into the exam this was my strongest subject, I almost broke down in the testing center because I was that shocked)

My GPA is a 3.44, and yes I'm an URM.
Don't be embarrassed, it is okay. You can bounce back from this, it's just not something you planned on.

I would say a retake is a must. Because you can't retake for another 90 days, you will be very late into this cycle by the time everything else gets verified. I say your best bet would be to apply next cycle. Doing very well on your retake will help you tramendously, plus you will have the advantage of being able to apply early next June.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Don't be embarrassed, it is okay. You can bounce back from this, it's just not something you planed on.

I would say a retake is a must. Because you can't retake for another 90 days, you will be very late into this cycle by the time everything else gets verified. I say your best bet would be to apply next cycle. Doing very well on your retake will help you tramendously, plus you will have the advantage of being able to apply early next June.

I know, it's just when you're so set on something, and the fact that outside factors played a big role in me not being as prepared as I could stings. Also the money that I spent sending out my applications hurt my pocket. But I will definitely take the exam again, just spend this time studying.

You should definetly retake. Also, why is Howard your top choice? their tuition is really high. Because you have a good GPA, and are a URM you should think about more cheaper schools- but your DAT scores are kind of weak to do that now. It seems your TS/AA will come out lower than 17 and that's not good.

Honestly it wasn't at first, but since I'm from the area I guess it was just complacency. But I'll definitely will retake.

My advice? Take all your notes and store it well and take 2 weeks to chill. The thing with DATs that are much less discussed is the mental toll it takes on students. I came home crying because I thought I failed (and it was the Canadian version so I didnt get my grades for 3 months). Obviously you arent good emotionally right now so my suggestion is to relax. Take it easy and think about what you want without the baggage of having to do anything for 2 weeks. Go on a mini vacation. You tried your best and at least now you know what its like and come back and try again later.

Don't be too upset, you can always just retake the exam. Tell us a bit more about how you prepared for the DAT the first time and we can definitely give you some advice to improve.

Don't be too upset, you can always just retake the exam. Tell us a bit more about how you prepared for the DAT the first time and we can definitely give you some advice to improve.

Honestly, that was my main problem. My studying habits were all over the place. I used the Princeton Review book for Chem and Orgo and Cliff's AP Bio, well I used the condensed notes someone made for it. I took the free practice exams on DAT Genius and DAT Bootcamp for the PAT. I wasn't able to seriously study until about a month before the test. I know my bio, QR, and PAT scores will probably rise with studying. I need the most help in orgo and gen chem.

Just some advice from someone who had been in your shoes, my first dat practice aa was 13 (11 bio, 16 chem, 13 orgo, didnt do rc and qr) and i thought i would fail. What i did was do the bootcamp exams over and over again making urself a "mistakes" note. Do this till you get 30 30 30 for all practice tests. This raised my score to a 23 aa on the real test in 5 weeks. I wrote a breakdown sometime back maybe it can help. Best of luck to you.

Just some advice from someone who had been in your shoes, my first dat practice aa was 13 (11 bio, 16 chem, 13 orgo, didnt do rc and qr) and i thought i would fail. What i did was do the bootcamp exams over and over again making urself a "mistakes" note. Do this till you get 30 30 30 for all practice tests. This raised my score to a 23 aa on the real test in 5 weeks. I wrote a breakdown sometime back maybe it can help. Best of luck to you.

I definitely will take these notes into consideration, I will plan on retaking it in February or March. So, I'll have about 5 months of study time. My course schedule shouldn't be too bad this upcoming semester so hopefully I can really practice a lot.

Look into datbootcamp. Ari's study schedule was ideal for me and I simply followed through. Stick with it and you should see a huge improvement. Good luck!

DAT Bootcamp, DAT Destroyer/math destroyer, and feralis notes are all your need. Know those 3 resources inside out and you will be good to go. Guaranteed.