What should I do this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alwaysworkinghard

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently struggling with what I should spend this coming summer doing. I am planning to apply to dental schools in June 2018. I am currently a junior in undergrad and have a 22 DAT and ~3.9 overall and science GPA. Plenty of shadowing experience as well.

My current thoughts on possible options are the following:
1. I could do some traveling abroad (I love it) but that would burn through most, if not all, of my savings.
2. I could it visiting family (all of which is not local to me).
3. Stay at school and do some research.
4. Immerse myself in learning a language (possibly Spanish since I know a little) and try my best to gain a relatively high level of competency in the language. I've always wanted to become bilingual. If I did this, I could probably pair it with a trip abroad.
5. And the obvious option, stay at home and work (with the possibility of some of the above).

I am open to suggestions regarding combinations of the above and/or completely different ideas. I really want this summer to be productive and fun.

Paul

Members don't see this ad.

I would honestly do any of those. Learning a language in a couple months is probably a stretch if you don't have native speakers locked down that are willing to chat all the time. But you can learn enough to get by. You're still about a year out from school but bear in mind that the application process can get pretty expensive. It's around 250 for your first school and about 100 for each school after that that you apply to. Then there are secondary application fees that are usually anywhere from 50 to 100 dollars for each school. Interviews are the most expensive as you usually have to fly and get a hotel and food uber around which usually averages to about 500 bucks per. With all that info in mind do what makes you happy!

Reactions: 1 user
Wouldn't do number 3. I would either work as a dental assistant or waiter or use money on vacation or family. Your meager savings will probably not put a large dent in loans but the memories they may create this summer could be significant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do all the things you always wanted to do before you get chained down for 4 years. Go travel or continue your hobbies. During dental school, I didn’t have any time to fix and collect watches and shoes. I didn’t have time to practice archery or draw/paint. If I had free time, then I would watch movies/tv shows and drink/eat out with classmates on weekends.

If you are attending dental school far from home, then spending time with loved ones is a good time during the summer.

Be prepared mentally and physically for the grind to come.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
lol dont go back to school.

Just travel or have some fun back at home.

With your stats? Start growing the grapes and ferment them so that you can pop open a bottle of your own wine when you inevitably get accepted