What should I do to get health care experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPMo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Freshman, cause I know age makes a difference, but i've been wondering what should I do to get some health care experience. I've been thinking about either becoming an EMT or a Phlebotomist (Dont know if i spelled it right:laugh:) over the summer. Do you guys think this a good idea or should I do something else and what did you do for experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a Freshman, cause I know age makes a difference, but i've been wondering what should I do to get some health care experience. I've been thinking about either becoming an EMT or a Phlebotomist (Dont know if i spelled it right:laugh:) over the summer. Do you guys think this a good idea or should I do something else and what did you do for experience?

Sounds good to me, though I wasn't aware that they were that easy to get training, nor something that was really a part time job. Definitely do some shadowing as well, and there isn't anything wrong with working or volunteering at a hospital as a menial.

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked as a phelbotomist two summers in a row. It was great to take vitals and draw blood. however, the training is quite long and you have to commit to a schedule (sometimes bad hours) and that can be a hassle with your schoolwork. I would recommend doing it over the summer like I did or be a volunteer at a hospital (perhaps a VA) and work as a vital signs caretaker and work whenever you want. hope this helps

Shadowing is also great for quickly deciding if medicine is the right thing for you. If you know any doctors personally, call them up and spend half a day with them or so. That is always fun.