What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhsong91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so reading through the forums on this website has made me extremely depressed and have lost complete hope in becoming a dentist. I currently have a 2.4 GPA and am in my last year of undergrad. I've had a hard time finding the best way to study. Every year, I spend hours and hours studying nonstop and stay up for days just to study for an exam that I felt I was completely ready for, but ultimately finding out that I bombed it. However, I found my most efficient way of studying just this recent semester and received a 4.0. This included high level science courses included biochem, microbio, and immunology. I know now that I have the smarts to do well, but I guess it really wasn't too smart to find out at the last second. I'm pretty confident in getting another 4.0 for the spring semester. Do I still have a glimmer of hope? Or would my only choice be to do post-bacc for a couple of years to raise my GPA to a 3.3+? And would the post-bacc even be enough? Would I have to do an SMP? I'm just so frustrated with myself. I guess my backup backup would be to work in research?

Members don't see this ad.

Do a post bacc and raise both your science and overall gpa to at least 3.0. Score 20+ on your DAT and you will have a better chance at acceptance. A strong upward trend goes a long way. I had a 2.97 after graduating, did a 48 credit post bacc and recieved nothing less than a 3.5 and recieved 4 acceptances this cycle. Its possible, good luck!

You still have hope. I personally would recommend SMP from my personal experience.FYI, I would suggest build some good ECs including research. Good DAT alone won't compensate for poor GPA.