What should I do?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by bluemoon27, 05.19.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. bluemoon27

bluemoon27 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I applied to DS this year and did not get into any of them from the 23 apps I sent out (most were the holistic evaluation type of schools). GPA was around a 3.0 and Sci, BCP were around 2.7. DAT is 22 overall, 23 science (21 in bio and 25's in both chem sections). 16 PAT, and 19 in RC. 18 in math.

My GPA is little better now upto 3.11ish and Sci = 2.82ish and BCP = 2.80ish.

I also had lots of volunteering, shadowing, leadership, and research hours. Served as a TA for one term. Also worked for 2 years. personal statement was checked by several people including dentist and professors and writing center tutors.

I think because I sent my app end of July and my letters arrived in the middle of August, that also put me at a disadvantage in addition to my stats.

So, my question is should I bother applying this year or will I still be thrown out of the pool due to bad GPA like this year? I am in a state of conflict because I could go for my alternate career plan or go for dentistry. Lots of people have been telling me to drop dentistry since it will take forever for me to fix my GPA so just go for the alternate career. Personally, the only reason sort of deterring me from applying and going for dentistry is my GPA (which is why I am thinking little bit about alternate career plan), otherwise I love the dental field! Right now, I am so lost, please can you give me some advice on what should I do.

Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. bluemoon27

Pre-Dental
  4. syap

syap 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would call dental schools you are interested in and ask what their minimum GPA/science GPA requirements are. If you are at least .1 higher than the minimum you should consider that school along with other factors such as in state/out of state, etc.

5. #kalel

#kalel 2+ Year Member

They're not wrong. If you were someone close to me, I would advise the exact same given your numbers. And I think you have the wrong idea about what "holistic" means. It doesn't mean that you can compensate a deficiency in one area with another, just that all areas are strongly considered (some equally, some not).

And btw, August is not late.

Last edited: 05.20.14
  6. jeffity

jeffity 5+ Year Member

Dentist
    You get to a point where GPAs can't be repaired. The math is just against you. Undergrad/unofficial post-bacc stuff. One-year masters programs are GPA fixers. Clean slate to prove you can hang. The added debt (assuming you're a loaner) sucks. But if dentistry is your desire, that might be the route. Do you have state school options? If you go the maters route, hopefully you could at least ease debt by getting into a state school...or picking some new parents.

7. Cello

Cello SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You can get into dental school by raising your stats. To do so will take a significant amount of time, money, effort, and your life. If you have something else you can see yourself doing happily then you should consider that.

8. bluemoon27

Pre-Dental
    thanks for the responses everyone! any other suggestions for me? Also MCG is my state school.

9. Dentalguy8621

Dentalguy8621

Pre-Dental
    GPA is the problem IMO. Do Post Bac or Masters. Best of luck

10. bluemoon27

Pre-Dental
    Is there really no school that will overlook it?

11. Dentalguy8621

Dentalguy8621

Pre-Dental
    Overlook the GPA?

Gaucho4Life likes this.
  12. ILLchief

ILLchief 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Masters. No schools will overlook at sub3.0 GPA.

also, that 16 PAT might also be a killer. consider retaking your DAT

13. dentalWorks

dentalWorks Nights Watchmen 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I wouldn't apply again this year. The fact you applied to 23 schools and didn't get into any of them is a good indicator.
    You should do 1 year of post-bacc (formal or informal, doesn't matter, your goal should be to hit up 15+ credits of upper level biology courses and aiming for nothing less than 3.8 GPA). It will improve your overall numbers PLUS (and most importantly) continue to show upward trend.

Lets face it, your never gonna have the right overall GPA numbers, but the thing that will work in your favor is upward trend + strong DAT.

I will also recommend you to stop doing ECs and shadowing, focus 100% on your grades. all the best

About the ads