What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wilburr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've currently just finished about 2 semesters of post bacc and have not done well. I have a cumulative GPA of 2.3, which is the same as my undergraduate GPA (biological sciences). I took some tough courses and retook one undergraduate level course (this is my 4th time taking it and I got a C).
I'm taking the mcat in about a month and I feel like this is my last chance at medical school.
Are my chances completely shot now?
post bac:
Undergrad retake: C
Grad level course: B
Grad level course: D+

During undergrad and still now, struggling with depression, anxiety, and possibly ADHD. I'm getting tested to get a formal diagnoses in about a month to see what's really up.
I'm considering getting a masters in an unrelated field, clinical psychology, online while working part time at a hospital or mental health clinic. And then deciding from there whether I should pursue MD/DO again after working for about a year or pursue psyD. I guess what I'm wondering is if my failures have completely eliminated my chances of ever getting into medical school. There's a part of me that knows I slacked and am facing the repercussions, but there's also a part of me that has ignored so many red flags in my behavior and health (mental health related issues).
I think I've been self medicating with caffeine or purposely depriving myself of sleep or both, to help with my anxiety and lack of focus but that has been destroying my mental and physical health. I'm not sure what to do here.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First things first is get yourself right mentally. Things fall into place after that. Maybe people further along in the process have more ideas but as a non-trad starting MS1 this year that's what I had to do after dealing with similar struggles

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
First things first is get yourself right mentally. Things fall into place after that. Maybe people further along in the process have more ideas but as a non-trad starting MS1 this year that's what I had to do after dealing with similar struggles

Do you mind elaborating a little on how you got to where you are now?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to take a couple years off after undergrad, got some therapy, meditated, and found new ways to frame things where instead of bringing me down, challenges invigorate me. Found myself a few new hobbies to come back to when the poop hits the fan too. But the big thing that changed was finding ways to center myself and keep calm when things are going nuts around ya.

EDIT: Also simply retook the classes I needed to and retook my MCAT in addition to a clinical job as a CNA at a hospital

Reactions: 1 user
I've currently just finished about 2 semesters of post bacc and have not done well. I have a cumulative GPA of 2.3, which is the same as my undergraduate GPA (biological sciences). I took some tough courses and retook one undergraduate level course (this is my 4th time taking it and I got a C).
I'm taking the mcat in about a month and I feel like this is my last chance at medical school.
post bac:

During undergrad and still now, struggling with depression, anxiety, and possibly ADHD. I'm getting tested to get a formal diagnoses in about a month to see what's really up.
I'm considering getting a masters in an unrelated field, clinical psychology, online while working part time at a hospital or mental health clinic. And then deciding from there whether I should pursue MD/DO again after working for about a year or pursue psyD. I guess what I'm wondering is if my failures have completely eliminated my chances of ever getting into medical school. There's a part of me that knows I slacked and am facing the repercussions, but there's also a part of me that has ignored so many red flags in my behavior and health (mental health related issues).
I think I've been self medicating with caffeine or purposely depriving myself of sleep or both, to help with my anxiety and lack of focus but that has been destroying my mental and physical health. I'm not sure what to do here.
Definitely get your mental health in order first, that's paramount no matter what career choice you decide. Then, if you are prescribed medication that allows you to better focus on school and you are able to take more classes and get an A in EVERY CLASS, then you may have a shot of DO school in the future.

At the moment, your grades will not be looked upon favorably.

I wish you the best of luck!!

post bac:

I don't know what your next step is. Going to tag @LizzyM @Goro @gyngyn @gonnif for some input

Forget about med school unless you get ALL of those issues out of the way. As of right now, you have demonstrated that you can't handle med school.

post bac:

There is no MCAT score that will get you past the GPA, imho. As people have said gotta get in the right place to knock out a couple years of academics with great grades first.

Doing the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. You need to fix the issues preventing you from excelling in your academics. Take care of your self, treat the root cause of your poor performance, and then redo some classes to see if you can. Afterwards I would research some schools that do linkage programs if you are still interested in pursuing this.

Academically, it would take a long and difficult time to repair what has happened. Non-academically, you have a lot of personal work that has to get done before even thinking about trying to fix the academic side of things, let alone figuring out what path to take.

I really things turn out for the best for you. You can live a great life and not become an MD/DO. It doesn't have to be your path.