What Should I Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCF145

Not Politically Correct
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This isn't a what are my chances thread, but I was wondering what you guys would do in my situation. Obviously I want to optimize my chances for an acceptance, but I don't want to apply to 50 schools. So I was wondering what tier of schools that I should focus my applications on (I'm pretty sure that the top tier is a no go for me). Here are my stats.

3.75 GPA (4.0 past two years and fall freshman year)
-Biology major; Biochemistry minor
31 MCAT (11-8-12)
Honors College
Honors Thesis
Provost's Scholarship
Dean's List
National Dean's List
Good LORs
Biochemistry and Cellular Physiology Tutor
Pre-medical Study Abroad program in Maastricht, The Netherlands during the fall of 2004
~50 hours of shadowing ER doctor, neurosurgeon, and anaethesiologist
Human Physiology laboratory assistant
Social Fraternity
And I will be working full time this summer as a phlebotomist at a regional medical center.

Any suggestions about what types of schools I should focus on would be greatly appreciated, as I don't want to spend a few thousands on apps alone.

Members don't see this ad.

You'd be screwed in CA! =P

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you I would apply 10-12 schools and make sure you have a nice range of schools in there. Identifiy a few reach schools were your particular strengths align with the school and you (or your advisor) know that a few people from your school have gained admission in recent years. Then pick some mid tier schools, places like SLU, MCW, NYMC that accept a fair amount in a given year (ie tons of waitlist movement just in case). And round it out with your state school (s) and maybe a couple of schools where your stats crush their averages. The key is to make sure you actually want to go to that school, I realize right now you just want in somewhere and unless you blow your interviews you stand a decent chance of going somewhere and likely having a choice. Thus, don't apply to schools like say Wayne State because you think you can easily get in, but then realize you'd actually never move to Detroit. Other than that avoid in-state schools whose classes are composed of greater than 80% state residents (U-dub, Wisconsin, UNC-CH etc.), it isn't worth the application fee unless you really really like the school and the location. Lastly your state residency is going to play a big role in selecting schools. Life is tougher if your from a big state on the coasts.

Um.... apply wherever you like because you are lookin good! Make sure to apply to schools in your state and your region. Have a couple "reach" schools as well.

CMismo

MollyMalone said:
What's your state of residence? That could make a difference.

I'm a Texas resident.

NCF145 said:
I'm a Texas resident.

While I'm certainly no expert on the Texas schools, from what I've read you're in great shape.

I don't see any reason you shouldn't go for the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 formula.

1/3 schools that have average stats above yours

1/3 schools that have average stats at about your level

1/3 schools that have average stats lower than yours

Unless there's some black flag that you can't adequately explain, you should be just fine with that. 12-15 schools, like someone else posted, sounds like a good number and is (relatively) affordable. Don't be afraid to apply to some dream schools - you might be pleasantly surprised at your reception. Conversely, there are people with great stats who wind up disappointed, and there's no such thing as a sure thing in this process.

OP you're gonna get in (to the school you want) if your desire is to become a doctor...END OF THREAD!

Thanks to everyone for their help and comments. :)