What Should I Major/Minor In?

Doctor Hill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
O.k. Guys Idk how college works sorry if i sound dumb. (Lol) but I want to know what I should minor/major in. Like do I get to choose what base courses I want and based on my major/mnorother courses get added? I am an english/history person. Don't get me wrong I love science but I am naturally good at those two. I heard that they like diversity so that would be a plus. So I was thinking of majoring in something like english physics or computer sciences, with a minor in neurobiological sciences. I want to go to UF so any other ideas??:D:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Whatever you want
hatever you want
atever you want
tever you want
ever you want
ver you want
er you want
r you want
you want
ou want
u want
want
ant
nt
t

Last edited:
O.k. Guys Idk how college works sorry if i sound dumb. (Lol) but I want to know what I should minor/major in. Like do I get to choose what base courses I want and based on my major/mnorother courses get added? I am an english/history person. Don't get me wrong I love science but I am naturally good at those two. I heard that they like diversity so that would be a plus. So I was thinking of majoring in something like english physics or computer sciences, with a minor in neurobiological sciences. I want to go to UF so any other ideas??:D:confused:

Major in what you like....

And use the search button because this question has been asked multiple times.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I don't think everyone who asked the question is going to uf. Also I want to know how exactly college works.....

Well I don't think everyone who asked the question is going to uf. Also I want to know how exactly college works.....

Oh, I didn't know you were going to UF. In that case:

Whatever you want
hatever you want
atever you want
tever you want
ever you want
ver you want
er you want
r you want
you want
ou want
u want
want
ant
nt
t

How college works: Random **** happens for four or so years and suddenly you graduate with an advanced understanding of one or more subjects and moderate liver damage.

As long as you get your pre-requesites done, it doesn't matter. I love biology, that's why I'm a bio major.

For your freshman year, you will take prerequisites. These are generally classes that everyone must take in order to graduate. These are things like basic English Composition, a math course, a biology/chemistry course, etc.

After you get some pre-reqs out of the way, that's when begin to decide what to major in.

I majored in history, and just did all the other required classes for med school along the way.

UF is no different in this regard than any other university. Here is how it works:

So schools require that you "declare" a major right away. Others do not. If yours is the former, understand that you can change your major if you decide that your declaration is not what you want to do.

You can major in whatever you want. Diversity is nice, but good grades and a good college experience are more important.

As noted above, all schools will have GE (general education) requirements which you need to complete to graduate.

On top of that you will have required coursework toward your major field of study.

You finish all of the above and you graduate. Hopefully in between you've had some fun, met some wonderful people and had experience which will last a lifetime.

Get your Pre-reqs done and major in something that your interested in

Oh, I didn't know you were going to UF. In that case:

Whatever you want
hatever you want
atever you want
tever you want
ever you want
ver you want
er you want
r you want
you want
ou want
u want
want
ant
nt
t

How college works: Random **** happens for four or so years and suddenly you graduate with an advanced understanding of one or more subjects and moderate liver damage.

What? We were supposed to learn stuff? You mean all I got was liver damage?!?! Dang it. Well, hopefully medical school will be different

I'm thinking in majoring in Biology, but then I also have this feeling majoring in that will have a disadvantage because I wont have "diversity" in my application.

Any truths to this?

I'm thinking in majoring in Biology, but then I also have this feeling majoring in that will have a disadvantage because I wont have "diversity" in my application.

Any truths to this?

SDN Lore.

Your major is an insignificant portion of your application.

While it is true that programs like to have a few Phil or Spanish majors thrown in for diversity, you should major in whatever interests you and that you will do well in. Do not simply pick a nonstandard major for medical school to appear more diverse.

How risky is it to take an engineering major (biomed engineering in my possible case) rather than a hard science major (biology). Just how detrimental may engineering be on the GPA?

I'm interested in both the biology major and biomedical engineering major. I suspect I'm a bit better at hard science than at more applied science like engineering but I can't say for sure because I've never tested this notion.

Any truths to this?

Well, I am double majoring in Biology and Psychology right now because I absolutely love the two. If you have all of your ECs higher up than a person who majored in Humanities/Mathematics, you'll be in better shape. Don't think that because you chose a non-science major that you'll be at a disadvantage. You'll have to work hard to keep up with grades/ECs.

SDN Lore.

Your major is an insignificant portion of your application.

While it is true that programs like to have a few Phil or Spanish majors thrown in for diversity, you should major in whatever interests you and that you will do well in. Do not simply pick a nonstandard major for medical school to appear more diverse.

This.

How risky is it to take an engineering major (biomed engineering in my possible case) rather than a hard science major (biology). Just how detrimental may engineering be on the GPA?

I'm interested in both the biology major and biomedical engineering major. I suspect I'm a bit better at hard science than at more applied science like engineering but I can't say for sure because I've never tested this notion.

Biology is not a "hard" science major. Biochem is much harder, if not the hardest. You definitely want to go with a major that you're interested in first of all. I would've picked Physiology if I could do it all over again, however that wasn't a major available at any of the colleges that I applied to. Therefore, I just stuck with Biology and Psychology and am currently making the best of what I can.

Well as a senior UF student, I can give in my 2 cents.

Its just like all other colleges. Signing up for classes is a pain (especially since theres A LOT of freshmen pre-meds) and get ready for the pre-med classes being weed out classes. UF is notorious for weeding out pre-medical students. I'm not saying its imposible to get a good grade in the pre-med classes, but get ready to work your ass off and receive a grade you weren't anticipating/hoping for in certain classes (Most gen chem/orgo and bio only have about 15% receive A's in a 200+ person class). Also, most people here use tutoring services (Such a TutoringZone and StudyEdge) since some of our professors are god-awful at teaching the material.

Its tough, but overall a great school, tons of research/other opportunities and besides the usual gunners, you'll meet a ton of interesting people and faculty. Just don't be disheartened if you see SO many pre-med when you first enter since by senior year, most call it quits and do something else. Just make sure you start taking classes seriously since day 1.

Good luck and Go Gators!