What should MS1s PCOM 2007 expect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njdesi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I will be an MS-1 at PCOM this fall. I am getting the pre-MS1
jitters. What should we expect in the first block of the year in terms of courses, our schedule (exams and class), and work load? How often do you have exams? How did you adapt to the new env, people, and school? Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

NJDESI

Members don't see this ad.

i also feel the same was as NJDESI, jitters and all,,,more curiosity i guess b/c i'm not really sure what to expect...if any pcom-er can give us their insight,,,that would be greatly appreciated...thanks!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah im interested too !!! HEy NJDESI are u waitlisted anywhere else ???

I did a search and found this (thanks to whoever wrote it):::::::::::::

Why did YOU choose PCOM over any other schools you may have interviewed at?
I was accepted at PCOM, NYCOM, UNECOM, CCOM, AZCOM, TUCOM, NUSCOM, and UCONN (MD). I chose PCOM because it seemed to be the most 'well-rounded' school. The students I talked to were happy, the education seemed first-rate, the facilities were new (and they had a really cool gym), and the school was well-established (102 yrs old) with great clinical affiliations. No other school could offer all of this.

What's a typical day like for an MS-I? (ie, how many hours spent in class per week?)
We're on a quarter system, so things change every 3 months. First quarter was intense yet fun...anatomy kicks ass and it gives you a daily opportunity to get to know your classmates (and your cadaver)...besides that you take Cell and Tissue I, Histology, OPP, and PCS (Primary Care Skills). These are relatively minor classes compared to Anatomy. Expect to spend around 6 hours a day in class or in lab. You study alot, but it's cool stuff. Quarter two is a bitch. I'm just finishing that up right now, the main class is Cell and Tissue II. Talk about intense, you are responsibe for around 1200 pages of material every month. It's like studying for finals for 3 months straight (no rest for the wicked). Argh. It's split into 3 units...the first two pretty much suck, its all molecular bio and immunochemistry. Not much medicine there, tho this last unit we're doing a lot more 'bugs and drugs' which is really cool. Don't expect much of a life during 2nd quarter, you're at school on average of 7 hours a day. Plus you still have OPP and PCS.
Quarter 3 is an enigma to me right now...they haven't told us what's on the agenda...I hear we start our systems-based studies and that its not as hard as Q1/Q2...more time for drinking!

What's a typical day like for an MS-II?
From what I hear, its just a continuation of the systems-based coursework. More pathology, more drugs, more work. The MS2s I know aren't having that bad of a time, there's a lot of work but also plenty of time to play. Q3 sucks because you have to study for classes AND for your boards.

What do you like most about PCOM?
Lots. The people are probably my favorite part...I've met some really incredible people here, not the usual gunner-type personalities, more of the type that love to learn and want to become great doctors, yet have a ****load of fun while doing it. Again, the phrase 'well-rounded' comes to mind. Besides that, the facilities are superb (a great learning environment), the education, while demanding, is well-designed, and the school is very well-established.

What do you like least about PCOM?
Two things. First, its in Philly. While there are some really cool areas of Philly, overall its a pretty poor city. There are some really shady areas, some within 5 minutes of the school. There's not much danger of crime on campus, but it's disturbing to me that there are people living in 3rd world conditions (really bad ghettos) so close. Disturbing from a sociological standpoint...there's a lot of wealth around here too...the dichotomy between the rich and dirt-poor is upsetting.
Second bothersome element is the dynamicism of the PCOM curriculum. They're always changing things around here, and while that's a good thing for the mostpart (they're always making it more integrated and more challenging), it also means that sometimes things get f-ed up because its the first time they've tried it. For example, for the last unit of C&TII they decided to give us some more in-depth lectures regarding the body's response to Cancer...for half of these lectures would be on cancer treatment (to be taught by an oncologist), the other half pathology (taught by a pathologist). However, because of the oncologist's schedule we ended up having the treatment lectures before we had the path lectures...which means we learned how to treat cancers we had not yet learned about. Sort of confusing. Also, because the courses we are being taught are different from those taught last year, there aren't back-tests and other study aids available to us. It just makes things more difficult=more work for us. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it is aggravating when you talk to kids in other schools and they just took an exam that was 90% old-test questions. On the bright side, we'll probably do a lot better on the boards.

Does the large class size bother you...do you feel like you're missing out on things you would have had in a smaller class setting?
I'm used to learning in a large lecture hall (my undergrad bio classes were 450+) so that doesn't bother me at all. Plus, they split us up regularly for small-group learning (~20 students) and for labs the class is split in quarters (so there's a reasonalbe student:teacher ratio. I've gotten to know all of the professors/docs already (and they know my name) so I don't feel that I'm being ignored. Otherwise, I look at it this way: you have ~250 people to hang out with/get to know. Plus you'll graduate with ~250 colleagues(sp?), which is a big plus (medicine is all about who you know.)

What about class dynamics? (do classmates help each other out or is it "each his/her own"?
We have some gunners in our class, but for the most part we're a pretty social group...I've never had a problem getting a study group together.

Do you happen to know the pass rate on the COMPLEX I and II?
It's 'COMLEX' btw...you'll get to know it pretty well. PCOM's pass rate is high, around 92% if I'm not mistaken. Plus, a lot of us take the USMLE for the allopathic match.

Also, do you happen to know how past classes have fared w/ residency matching?
Because PCOM is so well-established, the school offers a ton of residency positions. Hence, the match rate is a good one, and PCOM has a ton of affiliations with both DO/MD hospitals across the country.

Does the class collectively do stuff (ie go out after finals, or organize "something" together)?
We have social chairs who organize events. We always drink after tests, and some of us go out very regularly (2-3x/week). If you like to be social, you won't have a problem finding people willing to go out with you. In fact, I think its absolutely necessary so that you keep you sanity (all work and no play makes Dave a dull boy).

How often do you have exams? Do they usually fall on a particular day of the week?
Figure on a test every month at the least. Most of them are on Tuesdays, with Monday given off as a prep-day. OPP practicals are every quarter, in the afternoons.

Are you, thus far, satisfied w/ your education at PCOM?? Do you feel like you're getting your money's worth?
PCOM is challenging. They do their best to turn us into the best doctors we can be. The curriculum is integrated and so there are lots of opportunities to apply the knowledge you get in a clinical setting. I'm happy here, and I have no regrets about choosing PCOM. Whereas I wish the tuition was less, its worth it.

If YOU could change one thing about PCOM, what would it be and why?
If the profs/docs would spend a little more time getting together and working out any bugs in the curriculum, it would make things a little more easy on us students. Don't get me wrong, I think they've worked incredibly hard to put together a first-class course schedule...there are just a few bugs that need to be worked out. At least for the class of 2005...you guys may have it easier.

wow that was great and very informative. **** I cant wait to start. Oh wait yes I can, I need to work more this summer and make more money for my future med school years

hey guys,

I wanted to add that some professors at PCOM actually write some of the questions for the boards so they give you "hints" during your lectures. Im not a medical student there, but I do attend PCOM for grad school. This bit was given to me by people who are actually in the DO program:) Hope all you enjoy PCOM AND the Sixers! :D :D :D

Well, hell...I was going to chime in and give my reponses but you all seemed to have that covered already.

PCOM is a good place. Just like anywhere, there are things to rave about and things to bitch about...just depends on what you like to bitch about I suppose.

Any Q's please PM me. I dont get on here too often this summer. Too much beer in the fridge. :)

Joedo:

My roomate and I are at Lincoln Green too. How do you like it so far ? Do you have a roomate as well ?

John