What specialties want to see research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current M1, trying to decide if I should do research or not. What specialties like to see research? Right now I want to go into IM, and probably be a hospitalist. Is this something I should probably look into doing research for? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reseach > no research.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm a current M1, trying to decide if I should do research or not. What specialties like to see research? Right now I want to go into IM, and probably be a hospitalist. Is this something I should probably look into doing research for? Any help is appreciated, thanks!
If you want to go academic IM yes it will help, I would recommend doing some research in medical school. It’s always looks good and makes you more well rounded as an applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
They all probably want to but it’s only needed as much as your competitors have. Aka hard specialities to match in.

Mid tier IM? Helps but I know dozens that got it with none.

Diff story for ortho ent neurosurg derm etc etc

But this is sdn so 280+ and Nobel prize for medicine and physio required for everything but fm

Reactions: 7 users
I mean how hard do you want to work? Really if you are aiming for a really good IM program this would not be a question you would ask.

Thinking about doing research this summer... however, I just don't want to get involved in some small deal research at my private DO school and waste my last good summer off, esp right before the craziness of second year boards and class balancing, if it isn't worth it.

Help!

Anything academic. Will like research

Getting a couple posters is not that hard, you can do it in a weekend during third year. Do well in your classes and opportunities to do preclinical research will present to you, take something if it meets your fancy, otherwise some case presentations during third year is good enough. This is per local Derm PD and an Ortho PD in my area, both gave lectures on getting into their programs. They want to see initiative, they’re not looking for Nobel laureates.

Reactions: 1 users
Thinking about doing research this summer... however, I just don't want to get involved in some small deal research at my private DO school and waste my last good summer off, esp right before the craziness of second year boards and class balancing, if it isn't worth it.

Help!

Gotta play the game bro. Do you have any residencies in the nearby vincinity?

Reactions: 1 user

Reach out to them. With ACGME accreditation programs now have to have a certain level of research output and, in my experience, are more than happy to let a medical student do a lot of grunt work.

I would think that only FM would not care at all for research, and I'd say as more competitive and academic the program is, the more likely they are to appreciate it. If you just want to match, I'd say anything non-surgical you can get away with no research. Not that you'd have to if you're going surgical, but I would imagine you'd be at a disadvantage as most applicants would have something.