What specialty are you considering?

Started by chhsu
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chhsu

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just wondering among those of us applying for residency what you've considered for specialty or if you're going into general peds. Also, among those who know what they're going to pursue (general or specialize) it would be interesting to know what made you decide.

For me, I'm not sure yet but have found GI, NICU/PICU and hem/onc interesting because of my interests in virology such as general viral infections, hepatitis and malignancies caused by viruses. Otherwise, I'd be happy in general peds as well.
 
the first thing i knew, even before deciding on peds, was that i wanted to practice academic medicine (combining clinical medicine, teaching and research). i found peds heme/onc to be the best fit for me. personalizing treatment protocols is very intellectual, as is cancer epi, bench research, and clinical research. the relationship with the patient and family is intense and long-lasting. the other field i may consider is peds cards . . . mostly because i find congenital cards fascinating and complex and have a good ear for the diagnostic end of things. general peds is NOT for me. i generally hate non-specific clinics and would rather be focused or in the hospital. and i like treating sick kids (not that i like that they're sick of course!). figuring out what career path to take has been difficult and narrowing even more will be equally hard. though changes are always possible. best wishes.
 
Cardiology or Infectious Diseases. I'm hoping I am able to decide during my internship.

Z
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pediatric Emergency Medicine!!!

If not... general peds, peds cards, or peds pulmonary. I'm definitely more of a thoracic physiology kind of guy.
 
everything is so specialized nowadays...i mean every field of medicine you gotta sub-sub specialize...it's ridiculous, whatever happen to the good ol' days when you just a general "doctor" who walked house to house with an old black bag with like a stethoscope and some medicine potion LOL!
 
everything is so specialized nowadays...i mean every field of medicine you gotta sub-sub specialize...it's ridiculous, whatever happen to the good ol' days when you just a general "doctor" who walked house to house with an old black bag with like a stethoscope and some medicine potion LOL!

There's definitely still a place in medicine for the generalist, however, it is only natural that sub-specialization would become more and more dominant. It's called the Industrial Revolution and along with it comes modernization and technological advancement. I too yearn for those days and hope to go into a more generalist field (be it gen peds or peds ER), but it's a double-edged sword... we now have much more knowledge and much more to offer, however, with that comes the price of sub-specialization. It's just the price we pay for the advancement of medicine, take it or leave it.
 
Remember guys...this website is a bit slanted; we all know it. I mean, we're medical students who stalk online forums---that's pretty "gunner" even if we weren't all gunner earlier in the game. I have friends doing peds who are going general, but they're not on SDN. And yes, I'm sure even some who are on this site just don't post. 😎

And true to the nature of all of us, I am also going sub. I am a PICU vs. EM person---just different sides of my personality, I guess. 😳