What specialty can you NOT see yourself in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What specialty can you not see yourself in in a million years?

• Allergy/Immunology

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Anesthesiology

Votes: 10 1.7%
  • Cardiology

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Colorectal Surgery

Votes: 37 6.4%
  • Dermatology

Votes: 31 5.4%
  • Family Practice

Votes: 26 4.5%
  • Family Practice

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • General Surgery

Votes: 28 4.9%
  • General Surgery

Votes: 8 1.4%
  • Hem/Onc

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Infectious Disease

• Internal Medicine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nephrology

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Neurology

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Ob/Gyn

Votes: 137 23.8%
  • Ophthalmology

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • Orthopedic Surgery

Votes: 14 2.4%
  • Otolaryngology

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Pathology

Votes: 29 5.0%
  • Pediatrics

Votes: 52 9.0%
  • PM&R

• Plastic Surgery

Votes: 19 3.3%
  • Psychiatry

Votes: 59 10.3%
  • Pulmonology/Critical Care

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Radiology

Votes: 14 2.4%
  • Rheumatology

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Urology

Votes: 13 2.3%
  • Another medical specialty/subspecialty not listed above (please specify below)

• Another surgical specialty/subspecialty not listed above (please specify below)

• I haven't ruled out any specialty yet.

Votes: 42 7.3%

• Total voters

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there one you think you'll never be interested in in a million years? Why?

For me, it's Ophthalmology. Eyes kinda freak me out. I can handle just about anything else, but something about the eye just gets to me. Maybe I feel like it's looking at me the whole time, but I nearly hurled the last time I had to dissect a cow's eye, especially when the humor spilled out. :barf: And that one bit in Kill Bill 2, forget about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably gynecology... That just isn't what I want to look at everyday for the rest of my life... :eek:

ob/gyn - the smell
ortho - bones freak me out, especially broken ones
psych - just not interested
ophtho - i couldn't handle cutting into one
derm - absolutely no interest
peds - kids hate me (though I do have some interest in peds surgery)

but all of this is before rotations. we'll see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Peds because I hate kids and OB/GYN because I hate fat bitchy pregnant women.

Ob/gyn because I just can't see myself doing it, and psychiatry because I'm just not interested. Also pathology maybe because I need patient contact. And basically no to all the primary care fields.

One of them would probably be forensic pathology. I'm already a little bothered thinking about autopsies performed on homicide victims. Reading books about forensic cases is fascinating though.

Peds... It's not the kids I'm worried about as much as the parents.

Maybe colo-rectal surgery. I don't know though...I'd have to go through rotations first. I still have a long ways to go.

optho - shadowed one, just didn't like it
ob/gyn - no
peds - can't deal with kids in a general pediatric setting
psych - doesn't interest
derm - for the most part, not a real doctor :p
neurosurgery - too crazy
neuro - too many pure pain patients
family med - too in-between peds, ob/gyn, and im

....I think that's it :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. At this point, I can't see myself doing anythis else other than surgery. It's like the only thing I want to do.

I have some I really like (neurosurgery) and some that I'm not as interested in, but none that I really dislike.

Gastro..
ob/gyn
umm..
surgery im ok with.. however just not with the neurosurgery..
neurology..

thats about it.. lol..

I know this isn't a real option or whatever, but dentistry. EEKS. D:

Um, for MD, pediatrics and ob/gyn.

Peds... It's not the kids I'm worried about as much as the parents.
Ain't that the truth? (Love the avatar by the way.) I'm interested in peds but I think if I went that route I'd want to subspecialize in neonatology.

Most of you have mentioned the specialty I'm most interested in (Ob/Gyn). Ha!

Damn I forgot, one specialty I really reALLY can't even consider is ......

colorectal surgery/proctology>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>gyn

There simply isn't enough $$ on Earth to pay me for this field...

I want to keep an open mind, but at this point. . . Plastics

peds -- kids hate me too.. :-/
ob/gyn -- no interest
family practice -- too boring
psychiatry -- volunteered at psych ward.. totally freaks me out

Ain't that the truth? (Love the avatar by the way.) I'm interested in peds but I think if I went that route I'd want to subspecialize in neonatology.

Most of you have mentioned the specialty I'm most interested in (Ob/Gyn). Ha!

me too! lol. I actually was peds then realized how BORING it is and kinda switched over to OB when I volunteered on labor and delivery and got to see many c sections and such.

i like that it has A LITTLE surgery plus the normal and I love that moment when the kid pops out :D

I'm kinda interested in fetal medicine too...

things I can't see myself in:
neurosurgery
optho
transplant surgery
orthopedic surgery
urology
emergency medicine

thats pretty much it for now...

OB/GYN

Well, except for required 3rd yr rotation.

Surgery. I fainted in first aid class when the video showed a bloody wound.

Ortho. If anything freaks me out as much as blood, it's broken bones.

Family practice or general peds. Too general. I am looking into peds subspecialties, though.

Wait is something wrong with me?? :eek::eek::eek:

Am I the only one who can't stomach colorectal surgery??

Ophthalmology, Radiology, Family medicine, Ob/Gyn, Surgery, Psychiatry, Anesthesiology.

Surgery is more of a capability thing, I don't have the hand stability for anything 'too' precise.

Wait is something wrong with me?? :eek::eek::eek:

Am I the only one who can't stomach colorectal surgery??
I SINCERELY doubt I will go into that field, but as weird as it sounds, the thought of cutting into someone blue eyes skeeves me out way more than cutting into their brown eye.

I have a few:

Peds - Don't like kids
Opthalmology - Would puke if I had to cut an eye open
Derm - Seems ridiculously boring
Orthopedics - Broken bones are gross
Colorectal Surgery - Do I have to explain?
Urology - ^See description for colorectal surgery

OB/GYN: As a man, I like this region of the female body, but I think after years of dealing with them I would have no sex drive any more...:p

I did actually shadow an OB/GYN and found the field fascinating. I love how it combines some surgery and some primary care, but I just couldn't do it as a career.

For me, I'd say

Pathology: Want patient contact
Diagnostic Rads: Same reason (would consider interventional though)
OB/GYN: Same reason as many men.
Derm: Zero interest
Plastics: zero interest in cosmetics and would rather do ENT if i'm going to do reconstructive stuff

Other than that I'm pretty open though. I don't really see myself doing a pure surgery field, but we'll see.

OBGYN "smell" issues should usually only be present when you are dealing with let's just say very 'active' people or 'ladies of call' with PID, which you will see and smell your share of if you work in an inner city ED. Not kidding. (In fact for many of these replies, I have to say some of you might want to r/o ED in general.)
BTW many women that tend to keep a clean shop shouldn't be a problem in the smell department.

Most in OBGYN seem to really love it, except for the call early on in the practice and the serious malpractice fees and concerns.

As for ObGYn and losing sex drive, uh never heard that with those docs either. It's really not like that for them professionally. Not much different than popping up the hood of a car after a while.

A person can get grossed out from any aspect of dealing with humans--even psych. Pulmonology is interesting; but dealing with too much sputum is tough at times for me--and I work in ICUs where vents and such require dealing with sputum.

For me the list would be no to:

gen surg, vascular surg, neurosurg, CT surg, trauma/surg. . .basically anything that involves more than 20% surgery--which would include ortho--manipulating bone and such structures all the time--nah. Although, for those where it matters, pretty much anything in surgery is going to yield higher financially in the long run--for something like CT or neuro or even ortho surg, well a lot higher.

Those that move into gastroenterology are raking in the money--procedurally they can make a lot. Endo/GI labs are quite busy. This is not something I'm primarily and exclusively interested in; althoug GI issues can be interesting and not easy to figure out many times.

Radiology would make my eyes cross. Interventional does well--but again, not really interested in that.

Genetics may be interesting, but I'm interested in a wide variety of issues and types of patient populations and various treatments and such.

Cardiology is interesting; but it is overstocked in many areas--like lawyers, lol.

Where some in primary practice have told me there is more of a need right now is in peds endocrinology.

And you know you could easily change on some of these things. Initially I never thought I would do peds--it scared me so--but I'm glad I was open to it and made the move.

Last edited:
Dermatology. I was shocked when I found out it was something MDs did.

Dermatology. I was shocked when I found out it was something MDs did.

I'm glad it is or a young woman I am very close with wouldn't have made it to 23.

They aren't just "pimple popper MDs"

I'm really don't know what I would or wouldn't do... but I share some common themes:

Cutting into eyes really freaks me out, too

Just because you like lollipops doesn't mean you want to work in charlie's chocolate factory.

Not sure how I'd feel about gastro stuff. My research is done on (essentially) poop.

In 3-5 years all you pre-meds should check back on this thread and see just how much things have changed. Once you start school, your views will change a lot, especially when you start mentoring and shadowing (in first 2 years) and then on the wards in last 2 years.

In 3-5 years all you pre-meds should check back on this thread and see just how much things have changed. Once you start school, your views will change a lot, especially when you start mentoring and shadowing (in first 2 years) and then on the wards in last 2 years.

i plan on it.

i can believe that dermatologists are important in recognizing skin cancers. i do not believe that dermatologists are important in treating skin cancers (usually).

seems like it's mostly a cosmetic field.

I'm sure its a lot like plastics.

You can have an entirely cash based cosmetic practice, you can have a purely insurance-based medical practice (yes treatment of unsightly, uncomfortable, itchy rashes is a large quality of life issue, not to mention skin infections, melanomas, etc.) or you can have something in between.

let's see

peds- don't want to deal with parents or kids
derm- not for me
radiology- no
opthalmology - no.
GI - I'd operate on it, but not day to day basis
ob/gyn - want a healthy relationship with my wife. ob/gyn could ruin this. (I know i have a rotation in it, though).
neonatology- goes along with peds
path - work in lab now, not a lifetime thing for me.
ENT - need a broader area to work on
ortho- shadowed in surgery a few times, can't stand the sound of metal scraping bone
psych - no thanks
neurology- shadowed here and didn't like it.

Derm - I'm sure someone will defend this, but I could never imagine picking a specialty because it was cushy. I have no interest in examining skin problems as I'm sure most derms really don't.

Fam Med - Lack of procedures. No interest

Peds - As much as I like kids, don't think I could handle working with sick children

Psych - Definitely couldn't see myself treating head problems like you would see with psych

Surgery (most if not all sub-specialties of it) - As much as I think it would interest me, I definitely don't want to devote 80% of my life to my job.

OB/GYN - Hormonal pregnant women all day for the rest of my life? PASS! Not to mention everyone jumps at the chance to sue you if something goes wrong w/ their kid

let's see

peds- don't want to deal with parents or kids
derm- not for me
radiology- no
opthalmology - no.
GI - I'd operate on it, but not day to day basis
ob/gyn - want a healthy relationship with my wife. ob/gyn could ruin this. (I know i have a rotation in it, though).
neonatology- goes along with peds
path - work in lab now, not a lifetime thing for me.
ENT - need a broader area to work on
ortho- shadowed in surgery a few times, can't stand the sound of metal scraping bone
psych - no thanks
neurology- shadowed here and didn't like it.

haha what are you willing to do?

i plan on it.

i can believe that dermatologists are important in recognizing skin cancers. i do not believe that dermatologists are important in treating skin cancers (usually).

seems like it's mostly a cosmetic field.
Don't believe the stereotype. When I was scribing in the ER, a patient came in with a fungal infection covering his entire scalp (easily the grossest thing I've seen/smelled ever). He had covered it with a do-rag and ignored the smell until the cloth stuck to his wounds. After taking multiple biopsies, we consulted the dermatologist who agreed to follow-up.

haha what are you willing to do?

lol i know that's a lot of stuff.

i like surgery, internal med, cardiology, anesthesia, emergency med, and oncology.

granted i know some of those include things that i dont want to do (ob/gyn lol), but it's not 24/7.

Last edited: