You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
what states dont have saturation
Started by pharmacistforever
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Louisiana
are you joking lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
just got accepted class of 2019
yeah and i am ethnic so the white folks probably wont like me over there
So are you actually willing to relocate to any state like the original post? If you give people some more parameters, people may make more appropriate suggestions.yeah and i am ethnic so the white folks probably wont like me over there
I live in Louisiana lol and he is right. Between Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama there is only 7 pharmacy schools. The town I'm from has a population of about 20,000 and there is 14-15 pharmacies each staffing 3-5 pharmacistsSo are you actually willing to relocate to any state like the original post? If you give people some more parameters, people may make more appropriate suggestions.
yes i am willing to move to any state. i hate nj and ny anyway
Baton Rouge has a openings pop up at least once a month. They had 4 come open in the last week. And there are places not far from Baton Rouge that would be great places to open up your ownOK Louisiana -- you are going to be placed in a rural location far from New Orleans or Baton Rouge. No jobs in those cities.
I was offered Shreveport, but I'm too white to move there.
haha nice come back brothabut I'm too white to move there
Southern California in the desert area really needs pharmacists!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's not specific states that are saturated or unsaturated. It's the metro areas that are saturated in those states. And it's not just pharmacy, it's a national health care issue. Fact of the matter is that those graduating choose floating/half-time work instead of working out in the boonies. No one wants to live in rural TX border towns when one could live in Austin, Dallas, San Antonio or Houston. That's why the wages are so different.
Health care is very different when compared to "normal jobs". Normal jobs have a city "bonus". The IT worker in Chicago makes more than his/her counterpart in rural Illinois. Not so for the doctor, nurse and pharmacist.
Health care is very different when compared to "normal jobs". Normal jobs have a city "bonus". The IT worker in Chicago makes more than his/her counterpart in rural Illinois. Not so for the doctor, nurse and pharmacist.
Northern Alaska!! I know one SDN member actually went there (not there anymore though)
I just got an e-mail yesterday from a DM who is looking for help in Northern Alabama (Huntsville area).
Two months ago, it was Louisiana.
Two months ago, it was Louisiana.
It's not specific states that are saturated or unsaturated. It's the metro areas that are saturated in those states. And it's not just pharmacy, it's a national health care issue.
This. There are saturated areas in every state (big cities and any city with a pharmacy school.) There are a few states which are completely saturated (Pennsylvania), but generally, you CAN get a pharmacy job in any state, its just not going to be in the area you want to live, and it probably won't be the job you want.
New York
Iowa, Nebraska. The states where nobody wants to live lol
I went to school in Iowa; I felt like there weren't many good jobs there. Though its ADI is kinda high so I could be wrong.
Seconding Minnesota and Wisconsin for jobs.
We just had a new district manager transfer from Kansas and said they couldn't find enough RPhs for positions. They were hiring staff at 65-70 an hour.
I believe it. But it wasn't Kansas City/Johnson County area. It was probably rural middle of nowhere children of the corn area.
yea, I think it was po-dunk KansasI believe it. But it wasn't Kansas City/Johnson County area. It was probably rural middle of nowhere children of the corn area.
just got accepted class of 2019
The answer to your question will likely change by 2019. If you want to stay in the NJ area, try to make as many contacts as you can. You will hear "it's not about what you know, it's about who you know" over and over again because it's the truth. Network! Form good relationships with your professors and preceptors. Get an intern job. Attend pharmacy conferences.
iowa is saturated - it was saturated 10 years agoIowa, Nebraska. The states where nobody wants to live lol
FYI - there was a study that Des Moines was the richest city in the country when you combined average income with cost of living
and PS - Nebraska sucks
I've been to Omaha before and yea that place was terrible.iowa is saturated - it was saturated 10 years ago
FYI - there was a study that Des Moines was the richest city in the country when you combined average income with cost of living
and PS - Nebraska sucks
http://www.pharmacy.la.gov/assets/docs/NewsLetters/NABP-LaNewsltr2015-01.pdf
CVS just paid a couple hundred thousand dollars in fines for not having a PIC at a bunch of their stores in Louisiana, safe to say they need people there, especially PIC's.
CVS just paid a couple hundred thousand dollars in fines for not having a PIC at a bunch of their stores in Louisiana, safe to say they need people there, especially PIC's.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how about washington state? is it saturated?
Have you read the thread?
It's not state specific. It's urban/rural specific. I bet the jobs are east of the Cascades (Spokane excepted) And I bet they pay more than the jobs in Seattle.
Another thing that grinds my gears about the rural shortage. You just get the chains whining to the state boards that they need an exception, blah, blah, blah. Can't staff. Blah, blah, blah. But they won't raise the wages enough to attract. I guarantee that if the chains would put $100/hour with a 3 year commitment to PIC a podunk Kansas store you WILL get ONE new graduate to say YES. But they won't. Because they are cheap.
According to recent job postings on my company's website, the states with most openings in no particular order are...
Texas
Oklahoma
Wisconsin
Oregon
Texas
Oklahoma
Wisconsin
Oregon
Another thing that grinds my gears about the rural shortage. You just get the chains whining to the state boards that they need an exception, blah, blah, blah. Can't staff. Blah, blah, blah. But they won't raise the wages enough to attract. I guarantee that if the chains would put $100/hour with a 3 year commitment to PIC a podunk Kansas store you WILL get ONE new graduate to say YES. But they won't. Because they are cheap.
Yes. Saturated.how about washington state? is it saturated?
Yes. Saturated.
Depends where. Seattle yes. Tacoma yes. Spokane maybe. Enumclaw, Black Diamond, Eatonville, Yakima, Forks, etc. (boonies) no.
Well, I guess instead of starting a new thread I can jump into this one. My better half is potentially moving to Cincinnati, Ohio. Any input on the job market there? He will only be gone for 2 years-3 years then off to a new job. So, I don't know if it's worth asking for a transfer. The only transfer within the same chain I heard of did not go so well. The guy was doing really well in our area (PIC and good numbers) but he moved out of state and the new area just had him floating around and really far, so he quit. I don't know, we don't know. Should I just stay put with the 3 bambinos here in TN or follow him around? at what cost? I know that no one can really answer that for me. but it would help to hear from someone that knows someone that had to make the difficult choice of leaving an established position for unknown territories.
There are plenty of pharmacies needing pharmacists in Western Kansas. My friend also got a sign on bonus to work in a small town in Missouri. Joplin, I think.
I don't get this general aversion to working in 'the boonies'. I never had a doubt that I'd move to a rural area after graduation. I filled out one and only one application [before getting my diploma in 2011, before being licensed, no residency] at the hospital out here, and will probably be here for many years to come. It's allowed for some great opportunities, things you can only get away with at smaller institutions. Low cost of living, can easily buy a place with privacy and acreage. . .Sure there are negatives, but I'd take it over working retail in an urban setting any day.
Last edited:
I targeted one particular company in the process of applying for retail positions and got what I wanted. However, the position is in AK. I applied for positions with RAD, WMT, and Safeway in the Northwest and AK. I'm farely certain offers would have been dished out by all companies (all rural). I took the first one. Everybody in my class got a job, most of them before graduation (mostly NW rural). BTW AK is awesome if you can endure the dark winters.
I don't get this general aversion to working in 'the boonies'. I never had a doubt that I'd move to a rural area after graduation. I filled out one and only one application [before getting my diploma in 2011, before being licensed, no residency] at the hospital out here, and will probably be here for many years to come. It's allowed for some great opportunities, things you can only get away with at smaller institutions. Low cost of living, can easily buy a place with privacy and acreage. . .Sure there are negatives, but I'd take it over working retail in an urban setting any day.
There's nothing wrong with rural areas if that's what floats your boat. Some people like the land and freedom.
Well, I guess instead of starting a new thread I can jump into this one. My better half is potentially moving to Cincinnati, Ohio. Any input on the job market there? He will only be gone for 2 years-3 years then off to a new job. So, I don't know if it's worth asking for a transfer.
Generally, transferring, will make you float, but it depends on the need. Guaranteed, any big city near a pharmacy school, you will be floating. I guess what I would consider, where will your SO be going after 2 -3 years? It doesn't sound like he will necessarily be returning to TN after 3 years (if that were the case, I would think you could make it work staying in TN, until he came back.) But if he has no idea where he will be going after 3 years, then you are talking a possible permanent long-distant relationship, which I think is a bad idea, I would say move with him, and take your chances. That is the good thing about a chain, you can transfer jobs as you move with your SO, and if it really is a bad situation, then go part-time or PRN, and maybe try to get a different job on the side.
Thank you for you input. Much appreciated.Generally, transferring, will make you float, but it depends on the need. Guaranteed, any big city near a pharmacy school, you will be floating. I guess what I would consider, where will your SO be going after 2 -3 years? It doesn't sound like he will necessarily be returning to TN after 3 years (if that were the case, I would think you could make it work staying in TN, until he came back.) But if he has no idea where he will be going after 3 years, then you are talking a possible permanent long-distant relationship, which I think is a bad idea, I would say move with him, and take your chances. That is the good thing about a chain, you can transfer jobs as you move with your SO, and if it really is a bad situation, then go part-time or PRN, and maybe try to get a different job on the side.
Well, I guess instead of starting a new thread I can jump into this one. My better half is potentially moving to Cincinnati, Ohio. Any input on the job market there? He will only be gone for 2 years-3 years then off to a new job. So, I don't know if it's worth asking for a transfer. The only transfer within the same chain I heard of did not go so well. The guy was doing really well in our area (PIC and good numbers) but he moved out of state and the new area just had him floating around and really far, so he quit. I don't know, we don't know. Should I just stay put with the 3 bambinos here in TN or follow him around? at what cost? I know that no one can really answer that for me. but it would help to hear from someone that knows someone that had to make the difficult choice of leaving an established position for unknown territories.
Ohio is very saturated. That's what you get when you have 7 pharmacy school in a state of that size. But you are doing a transfer, so at least you get preference over a new grad.
Kentucky cities and towns right across the river might have better job markets. The traffic across the bridge is a bit of pain. Note cinci has 2% city income tax.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 4K