What stethoscope do you use/recommend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpb80

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'll be applying to EM for residency, and wouldn't mind upgrading from my old Littmann single tube. Deciding btwn the following scopes:

Welch Allyn Harvey Elite
Welch Allyn Harvey DLX
Littman Cardio III
Littman Cardiology Master

Any recommendations? Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

I have a Littman Cardiology II SE (which is essentially a III) which I've had for over 10 years - I use it daily, and have had it refurbished once. It's done me just fine. I didn't/don't like the Master 'scopes, because of the single diaphragm and having to push less or more on it. I prefer having the bell and diaphragm.

I cannot speak for the Welch/Allyns.

i had a cardio III which i loved and got stolen a few months ago. i replaced it with a master cardio which i don't like at all. i just can't hear as well with it. i'm looking to sell it so i can buy another cardio III.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I have the master (no bell, single diaphragm alluded to above) and its all I need. Truthfully, for hearing breath sounds, obvious murmurs, and abdominal sounds I don't see how a more expensive model of stethoscope will make a difference. That and, as also mentioned above, they can have a habit of disappearing. Just don't get the same one the nurses use and you'll be ok.

I use the Welch Allyn Harvey Elite and love it. But I'm a big proponent of KISS, which steered me clearn from some of the Littman's.

Littman Cardiology II SE - Had it for 12 years. Probably going to have to replace the tube as it's starting to get stiff. I like having the diaphragm for most stuff and the little bell for peds. I'd definitely get another one if I lose this one.

Littman Cardiology II SE - Had it for 12 years. Probably going to have to replace the tube as it's starting to get stiff. I like having the diaphragm for most stuff and the little bell for peds. I'd definitely get another one if I lose this one.

The refurb through 3M replaces the tube and all the plastics, and they buff and polish the metal, for less than 1/2 the price. My II SE (Special Edition, if people are wondering) looked like brand new - literally, even smelled like it - when it came back (about 2 weeks).

edit: it was less than 2 weeks, but I don't remember how short it was (I had it done 2 years ago).

My interns. :D

I have the Harvey DLX and absolutely love it. Unlike my experience w/ the Littmans, it transmits far less ambient noise (a big issue in the ED or ICU) and you'll actually be able to hear murmurs and rubs and the like. Of course this will require you to change your "no m/r/g" template/default when writing your notes since you'll finally hear those 1/6 diastolic murmurs.

I've had mine for 10+years and changed the tubing 3 yrs ago after it got kinked/creased from living in my pocket which cost ~$25. Also, the stainless steel head can work as an implement of self-defense as needed.

The refurb through 3M replaces the tube and all the plastics, and they buff and polish the metal, for less than 1/2 the price. My II SE (Special Edition, if people are wondering) looked like brand new - literally, even smelled like it - when it came back (about 2 weeks).

edit: it was less than 2 weeks, but I don't remember how short it was (I had it done 2 years ago).
I've been planning on doing that. Just haven't gotten around to it. I'm like a 90 yo with a bad hip, the dicision will get made for me soon.

But if you walk around relying on your terns and students to have a stethoscope don't people mistake you for an ortho?:D

*snerk* no. I am to girly for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having used both kind of stethoscopes, I really found no significant difference between the two aside from the fact that a regular stethoscope just works and a electronic provides the added hassle of having to worry about its batteries running out in the middle of a shift.

90% of auscultation takes place between your ears. Very few of things that actually matter clinically are really that hard to hear from a mechanical standpoint...it's all having the ability to recognize the sounds that your ears are picking up.

any opinions on the electric volume-amplifying stethoscopes, such as the on by 3M? very expensive but any better?

The Littman Classic II SE is really all you need. Anything more expensive than that is wasted money, provided your skills are up to par. IMHO

Was v[SIZE=-1]is[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]it[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ing a f[/SIZE]r[SIZE=-1]iend recently who [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]is a Phys[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ical Therap[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ist. Glanc[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ing around her house, [/SIZE]I[SIZE=-1] couldn't help but not[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ice a L[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ittmann Card[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]iology [/SIZE]III[SIZE=-1] box. Sa[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]id she needed [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]it for tak[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ing [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]blood pressures. :D[/SIZE]

i'll be applying to EM for residency, and wouldn't mind upgrading from my old Littmann single tube. Deciding btwn the following scopes:

Welch Allyn Harvey Elite
Welch Allyn Harvey DLX
Littman Cardio III
Littman Cardiology Master

Any recommendations?

I'd go with the Harvey Elite. Do a side-by-side comparison test, if possible. The difference is usually pretty obvious.

I'd go with the Harvey Elite. Do a side-by-side comparison test, if possible. The difference is usually pretty obvious.

When I need to hear everyone in the room talking while I'm trying to auscultate heart sounds, I borrow somebody's Littman. When I want to hear the heart sounds, I use my Harvey Elite.

I think it was a few posts you made about the Harvey Elite a couple years back in the Family Practice forum that got me interested in the Harvey Elite. I borrowed one first chance I had, bought one, and have yet to regret it. Thank you.

Was v[SIZE=-1]is[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]it[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ing a f[/SIZE]r[SIZE=-1]iend recently who [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]is a Phys[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ical Therap[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ist. Glanc[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ing around her house, [/SIZE]I[SIZE=-1] couldn't help but not[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ice a L[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ittmann Card[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]iology [/SIZE]III[SIZE=-1] box. Sa[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]id she needed [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]it for tak[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ing [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]blood pressures. :D[/SIZE]

I'm in pharmacy school and bought a Cardiology III... I like the color (dark green) and know I can resell it if I find I never use it... But I also ask to listen to everything when preceptors find anything funky.

The Peds bell is overrated. I can't think of a single time when my Master Cardiology hasn't sufficed on even the smallest infant. Plus it looks cooler with gold plating....

The Peds bell is overrated. I can't think of a single time when my Master Cardiology hasn't sufficed on even the smallest infant. Plus it looks cooler with gold plating....
Eh. Your love of gold plating must be a left over frm LA. It does'nt fly in Lone Star land. It's the doctor equivalent of having your grill done.:D

When I need to hear everyone in the room talking while I'm trying to auscultate heart sounds, I borrow somebody's Littman. When I want to hear the heart sounds, I use my Harvey Elite.

When I want to hear heart, lung, bowel sounds, the heart monitor, and the drunk-tank down the hall, all at once, I borrow a Littmann...

I forked over a bunch of money to buy a Littmann cardio III when I started med school. One day I forgot it at home and was forced to use the $ 9.95 Sprague-Rappaport I keep in the trunk of my car. Needless to say, the cheap-o scope was more than adequate-and it doesn't suck as much when it disappears or gets ruined.

I lost my Littman master cardiology last year. Since then, I've been using whatever stethoscope I can find lying around... A lot of times that means using one of those disposable ones for latex allergic patients. My management has never changed based on a 200$ stethoscope vs. a cheap little plastic toy.

any opinions on the electric volume-amplifying stethoscopes, such as the on by 3M? very expensive but any better?

3M Stethoscope

I won one of these through ACC's Heart Song audio contest, but it picks up every little movement of the tubing. You and the pt have to stay perfectly still or there is all sorts of "noise". The ability to amplify and even record sounds is an awesome feature that I could see being really useful for teaching. Yet I still use the Littman II SE.

I won one of these through ACC's Heart Song audio contest, but it picks up every little movement of the tubing. You and the pt have to stay perfectly still or there is all sorts of "noise". The ability to amplify and even record sounds is an awesome feature that I could see being really useful for teaching. Yet I still use the Littman II SE.

You actually listen with your stethoscope? Mine is more of just a shiny prop to make me seem more "doctorly".

Anybody know how long it takes to get the Littmann stethoscope tags personalized? Is that free when you buy the tag(s), or do you pay extra?

Thanks.

anybody have any advice on peds or infant stethoscopes? Nothing too expensive, but still works fairly well. I saw a website for ultrascope and they look really fun, especially for kids, but haven't found many reviews about whether they work adequately. Anybody have one?

I have a Littman Cardiology II SE (which is essentially a III) which I've had for over 10 years - I use it daily, and have had it refurbished once. It's done me just fine. I didn't/don't like the Master 'scopes, because of the single diaphragm and having to push less or more on it. I prefer having the bell and diaphragm.

I cannot speak for the Welch/Allyns.

I have one of these as well that I got at a yard sale for $2. Love it.

anybody have any advice on peds or infant stethoscopes? Nothing too expensive, but still works fairly well. I saw a website for ultrascope and they look really fun, especially for kids, but haven't found many reviews about whether they work adequately. Anybody have one?

I can't imagine actually needing a peds stethoscope for EM. Even on the tiniest babies a regular one works fine for discerning wheezes, stridor or a big honking murmur.

You should only invest in one if you're seriously thinking about going into peds.

A review of stethoscopes was recently published online. They did testing with acoustic equipment and recorded heart sounds on volunteers. The stethoscopes were rated by loudness, and clarity. It included Littmann Cardiology III, Littmann Cardiology I, Littmann Classic II SE, Littman Master Classic, Welch Allyn Harvey Tycos Elite, ADC adscope professional, ADC cardiology, Omron Sprague Rappapot, Prestige Sprague Rappaport, DRG puretone, and a nursing single head stethoscope.

The ratings mirrored some of the subjective comments on this page such as the Littman Cardiology III testing highly for loudness, and the Welch Allyn Harvey testing best for clarity. For those looking for a best buy, there was an inexpensive Sprague Rappaport style scope which was the acoustic equal of the top rated Littmann. See the review at: http://www.forusdocs.com/reviews/Acoustic_Stethoscope_Review.htm

I use a Master Cardio and have considered the Cardio 3. I picked the Master Cardion for 2 reasons:

1. It seemed to pick up sounds well and I didn't need to flip it to go between low and high pitched sounds.
2. In all black, I felt that it looked cool (this is me as an M1 talking)! LOL!

If I lost my Master Cardio, I'd probably opt to get the exact same model again because I am just so used to it. I really like my scope.

I prefer the Welch Allyn Tycos DLX. The sound quality is much, much better compared to the Littman. It has interchangeable ear pieces that come in various varieties of stiffness so that the user can choose based on comfort level. Finally, the diaphragm can be easily changed to a pediatric version. All I have to do is unscrew the adult version and then replace it with a pediatric one to convert my stethoscope into a listening device for the kids.

Take a look at the pictures below:

steth_adult.jpg

steth_arrow.jpg

steth_pedi.jpg

What now bitches? I'd like to see you pull that off with a Littman. Its users will be required to buy two stethoscopes to follow both adult and pediatric patients. I know several people who purchased new stethoscopes just to go through the peds rotation. I took a more sensible approach.

Welch Allyn triple-head Harvey:

hrvytrplhead_5079321_product1_MC.jpg

It was a gift.

2. In all black, I felt that it looked cool (this is me as an M1 talking)! LOL!

Having a black scope is is a good way to get it taken by accident. I recommend having one that is a little distinct, like green or red (but not super cool because then people will straight up steal it ie no flame decals)

I prefer the Welch Allyn Tycos DLX. The sound quality is much, much better compared to the Littman. It has interchangeable ear pieces that come in various varieties of stiffness so that the user can choose based on comfort level. Finally, the diaphragm can be easily changed to a pediatric version. All I have to do is unscrew the adult version and then replace it with a pediatric one to convert my stethoscope into a listening device for the kids.

Take a look at the pictures below:

steth_adult.jpg

steth_arrow.jpg

steth_pedi.jpg

What now bitches? I’d like to see you pull that off with a Littman. Its users will be required to buy two stethoscopes to follow both adult and pediatric patients. I know several people who purchased new stethoscopes just to go through the peds rotation. I took a more sensible approach.

More sensible than realizing that only neonates really require a pedi stethoscope?

Yeah, didn't think so.