What the "easiest" and hardest MD schools to get into

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jorge921995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
sgafasdfas

Members don't see this ad.

To seriously answer this question, low tier and top schools are hard to get into for different reasons. Private schools with comparably low stats receive over 10k applications a year so they're pretty low yield. Top schools usually require a high GPA and MCAT with exceptional achievement in activities.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Reactions: 8 users
Different tiers of schools cater to different tiers of applicants. The Harvard matriculants probably gets outright rejected from many low tiers bc of yield protection. Many of the sweet spot mid tier schools see higher numbers of applicants and make the yield low. Any school in a popular city does as well. So essentially they are all about equally as difficult to get into, but for different reasons.

A better answer is that the easiest school to get into is about fit: stats, mission, in state and in house preference. But as you can see this is not black and white, it differs for each individual applicant.

Assuming only talking about US MD schools:

Easiest: depends on what state you are from but in many cases, your state school

Hardest: IMO, Stanford. HMS isn't too easy to get into either.

The easiest is the one where your dad met with the dean of admissions and gave him a 7-figure check to build a new cancer ward.

The hardest is every one where that didn't happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
What the "easiest" and hardest MD schools to get into

All of them.

Reactions: 3 users
I visited a friend at Southwestern and the layout is really confusing. I was in Dallas a couple of days and I don't think I ever really figured out which entrance was the front and a hospital is connected to the school which just adds a lot more spacial confusion when you are outside....

Yah very hard to get into.

Last edited:
Reactions: 35 users
Personally, I've always found the ones with revolving doors always pretty tricky. Can never get the timing right.

Reactions: 10 users
Personally, I've always found the ones with revolving doors always pretty tricky. Can never get the timing right.
EDIT: can't get the gif to show. Here's a link: http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/1014819/revolving-door-o.gif
revolving-door-o.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 1 users
Not a black and white situation, for a lot of apps (including mine) it is equally impossible to get into top programs and bottom tier programs.

Top schools don't think I'm interesting, low tier schools look at my MCAT and think I won't matriculate.

Point is none of them are easy to get into from a relative standpoint.

Easiest - the classic 'Caribbean U'
Hardest - every other legitimate med school

The easiest are your state schools or schools where you fit their mission very well.

The hardest are the ones where your applicant profile don't fit the school's mission at all.

It would be harder for a white, monolingual applicant from Kansas with an impressive GPA, MCAT, and research portfolio to get into a Puerto Rican school than it would be for them to get into Hopkins or WashU.

Of course you can make a case for stratifying schools within categories, but saying that one school is objectively more difficult to get into than another is meaningless without considering the applicant as well.

Reactions: 3 users