What the He!! Mizzou...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ribbi_j

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
all right, just when I start to think that I am starting to figure a tiny portion of this process out - something like this happens. I'm lucky, have been accepted to three programs to date, have interviewed at 12 schools, and as a result of my travels have been able to predict- based on what I feel to be a very honest evaluation myself - generally what my chances are with any particular program. Yes, I know that each school ultimately has their own criteria for selecting their entering class and that much of that is largely due to adcom's random decrees at any given point... however, sometimes you just KNOW you're in, right?

my state school. my stats are "highly competitive." I even qualify as their token "rural and medically underserved" applicant. I've visited their campus and made contacts with important people. I got my application in and interviewed early - my interviewers both told me they thought I would be accepted in the first wave (obviously didn't happen- it was months ago). Anyway- I finally get the letter yesterday and not only am I on the alternate list- but my spot has to be the very last on the list - #91. I can't believe they even take the time to rank them that low. I know I probably sound ridiculous, but I don't know what went wrong. Obviously something didn't jive when the committee reviewed me and as a result I don't exactly feel wanted or desired here anymore. Somehow I think that would bug me for my entire 4 years if I were to attend... I guess I'm ungrateful or jealous or just ticked off and just needed to vent but hey- screw you mizzou- you're in state tuition sucks anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

Eh, that's bizarre. This process is RIDICULOUS.

Congratulations on your 12 interviews and many acceptances though! :D

mizzou has a rep for not taking competitive in-state applicants because they assume you'll go elsewhere

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same thing happen to me. I am a senior at a top private school and have competive gpa, mcat, lots of research, and clinical experience. I was using Mizzou as a backup and instead was out right rejected. They must have something against applicants that are not currently within the boundaries of the state and distrust our commitment to the state. My dad is even adjunct faculty for the medical school. What a bizzare application process.

I thought you guys might like to know that there are more people out there getting screwed by Mizzou. :( And here I thought I was the only one. I was born in Missouri, grew up in rural Missouri, and graduated from Mizzou a few years ago with two degrees (summa cum laude in both). My MCAT scores are more than competitive for MU. I have been living in another state for the past few years ( I decided I wanted to go to medical school after graduation) but really wanted to return to MU for medical school. I enjoyed the tour, loved the medical school, and thought my interviews went well. I drove hundreds of miles each way to the interview in snow, freezing rain and fog only to receive a rejection email last week. (After all that, they couldn't even spring for postage for a rejection letter).
Apparently my interviews didn't go as well as I thought they did. Funny how the opinions of these people who talk to you for a little while one day mean more than the opinions of those people who actually know you and took the time to write letters of recommendation for you. I feel like I might as well have worn jeans to the interview, spat on the floor, and commented on my interviewer's weight. Would have gotten the same result. Did I forget to mention that my father is an alumni of MU medical school as well?? Sorry this post is so long but I am feeling slighted and needed to vent. I am sorry that you guys had bad experiences too. I am shocked at Mizzou!