What the heck! Parent is attacking my major T_T

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've had similar issues and it wasn't until I took control of my life from my parents and proved to them that I was responsible and capable of making decisions by myself, sticking to those decisions, and succeeding because of them. It was then that they finally realized that I was mature enough and responsibile enought to make my own decisions without their input. They realized that their advice was exactly that, ADVICE, not law.

They just want whats best for you but sometimes that leads to them imposing their ideas which may not be in your best interest although they think it is.

Bottom line: You should make your own informed decision by doing research and considering all points of views including your parents. Sometimes this will results in agreeing with your parents other times it may not.

Just remember these decision affect the rest of your life not necessarily your parents

Members don't see this ad.

Compass said:
I must point out that I'm the first generation ABC in my family. And the stereotype of "OMG THEY'RE EVERYWHERE" combined with every family wanting their kid to succeed (no, my ABC friends are not all becoming doctors, but they're all wanting to succeed) is kind of taking a toll on society and the average student. :eek:
You've already gotten lots of advice on the issue of whether or not your parents should determine your major, so I figure you've got the points there firmly in hand and will make the decision that suits you.

So instead I'll offer some (I hope) practical advice targeted at talking to your dad: Is there a career center at your school? If so, are they any good at providing descriptions of employment options stemming from the major you're in, and statistics about what people with your degree really do? Becasuse if so, you might consider arming yourself with this information so you can set your dad's fears at ease a little bit. The process of telling your father "this is my decision" might be a little calmer and more effective if you are also able to say "and this is why I think it's a good one."

ps: I realize you may have already tried this route, and apologize if this is redundant.

630670 said:
I've had similar issues and it wasn't until I took control of my life from my parents and proved to them that I was responsible and capable of making decisions by myself, sticking to those decisions, and succeeding because of them. It was then that they finally realized that I was mature enough and responsibile enought to make my own decisions without their input. They realized that their advice was exactly that, ADVICE, not law.

They just want whats best for you but sometimes that leads to them imposing their ideas which may not be in your best interest although they think it is.

Bottom line: You should make your own informed decision by doing research and considering all points of views including your parents. Sometimes this will results in agreeing with your parents other times it may not.

Just remember these decision affect the rest of your life not necessarily your parents
Um, yeah, what 630670 just said. (nice post)

Members don't see this ad :)
Look at it this way:
Do you really want to be able to know how to enable a sound icon without even touching a computer?
More than your current path?

If yes, then maybe your dad's on to something. If not, draw eyes on your eyelids and take a nap whenever he wants to talk about schools.

MeBeans said:
Look at it this way:
Do you really want to be able to know how to enable a sound icon without even touching a computer?
More than your current path?

If yes, then maybe your dad's on to something. If not, draw eyes on your eyelids and take a nap whenever he wants to talk about schools.
Hey, I know how to do that.....uh oh.