what "tier" does drexel medical belong to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sigh.

It's got a reputation for being everyone's backup, so that should tell you right there what people think of it. But in reality, med school is med school, and it really doesn't make a difference what some magazine that ranks based on research and funding says about so and so school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I never really understood the tier system with respect to med schools. Is top 21 considered 1st tier, 20-50 considered 2nd tier, and the unranked considered 3rd tier?
 
honestly i couldn't care less what the ranking is, i'm in a direct-med program affiliated with them so i'm going there regardless, so i was just curious. like other ppl said, med school is med school, and my ultimate goal is to become a doc so hey, i'm good 🙂

Well said. Humanity has an inherent need for factions, followed by the need to justify why your faction is better. To be honest, I'm quite tired of this thinking.
 
👍
honestly i couldn't care less what the ranking is, i'm in a direct-med program affiliated with them so i'm going there regardless, so i was just curious. like other ppl said, med school is med school, and my ultimate goal is to become a doc so hey, i'm good 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to hijack this thread. :hijacked:

Can I make a living in academic medicine from any medical school in the country? Let's say you are a graduate from Drexel, to stay on topic somewhat.

Of course, I feel like the answer is "yes", but are there going to be extra hurdles to overcome?
 
Well said. Humanity has an inherent need for factions, followed by the need to justify why your faction is better. To be honest, I'm quite tired of this thinking.

James Madison, the author of Federalist 10, would be proud of your recognition of "factions" and the "mischiefs" they cause.
 
I'm going to hijack this thread. :hijacked:

Can I make a living in academic medicine from any medical school in the country? Let's say you are a graduate from Drexel, to stay on topic somewhat.

Of course, I feel like the answer is "yes", but are there going to be extra hurdles to overcome?

The only major profession where your choice of school can make or break you is law. I saw a study of factors affecting residency match and the school you went to was 9th or something. It was down the list, at least, well below ACTUALLY important stuff like your USMLE scores.
 
I'm going to hijack this thread. :hijacked:

Can I make a living in academic medicine from any medical school in the country? Let's say you are a graduate from Drexel, to stay on topic somewhat.

Of course, I feel like the answer is "yes", but are there going to be extra hurdles to overcome?

Most important variables for academics:
How much you've published
Quality of published work
Where you did residency
Are you fellowship trained
Where did you do your fellowship at

So yes, any med school can get you an academic gig.
 
Going to a higher ranked medical school will not add inches to your penis. If you had asked, "Is drexel a good school?" or "Does drexel still provide good research opportunities?" or "For current students or for students who have interviewed at drexel, what do you think of the school," then I would have thought your question was pure, but your question, as asked, comes across as you simply wanting to get prestige by going to a higher ranked medical school, never caring about the education you would receive. If your napoleon complex is truly that bad, buy a large truck.
 
I'm going to hijack this thread. :hijacked:

Can I make a living in academic medicine from any medical school in the country? Let's say you are a graduate from Drexel, to stay on topic somewhat.

Of course, I feel like the answer is "yes", but are there going to be extra hurdles to overcome?

There's going to be excellent researchers at all schools, no matter what perceived "tier" people attribute to them. You can definitely make a solid career in academic medicine from wherever you go. For example, a lot of great researchers I worked with at Vanderbilt when I did research there got their MDs at unranked state schools. Sure didn't hinder them! One of them actually published one of the most cited papers on a new virus that was recently discovered and published it in the New England Journal of Medicine. So we're talking high caliber people here.

The only problem I could see arising is this: if you're not at a big academic hub, it may be harder to shop for research mentors in your field of interest. So you may have less options, but in a way, working closely with mentors at a smaller research program might be more beneficial in the long-run.

But when it comes time for residency, it's all on you and not your school's rep. And as long as you land a residency at an academic center, you won't have trouble doing fellowships and further training in academia.
 
I'm going to hijack this thread. :hijacked:

Can I make a living in academic medicine from any medical school in the country? Let's say you are a graduate from Drexel, to stay on topic somewhat.

Of course, I feel like the answer is "yes", but are there going to be extra hurdles to overcome?

Every current hospital/school has academic physicians who graduated from all spectrums of US medical schools.

Getting into academic medicine is dependent upon where you did your residency. Getting into a residency is dependent upon how/what you did in medical school. Obviously medical students from higher ranked schools get into better specialties/residencies because they tend to have a better pool of students to begin with. With this being said, if you think you are just as capable as students from the top schools and you go to a lower ranked school, then there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get whatever you want our of your medical career.

There will rarely be 2 identical applicants. If an applicant from drexel has a 250, honors in all classes/rotations, applicable research, etc, and an applicant from Harvard has the same credentials, I would hope faculty would make the ultimate decision on spending the next 3-7 years with an individual, not based on who attended which school, but on how well they liked the person during the interview, the uniqueness of the individuals hobbies and interests and how well they feel the individual will fit in with current residents and attendings.

The only real hurdle you may ever have to face is finding good research to do if you end up going to a lesser known school. Research heavy schools have more opportunities so it is easier for students to get involved. Don't let this deter you though. If you really are aiming at a competitive specialty, you can find good research opportunities at every school in the US.
 
Every current hospital/school has academic physicians who graduated from all spectrums of US medical schools.

Getting into academic medicine is dependent upon where you did your residency. Getting into a residency is dependent upon how/what you did in medical school. Obviously medical students from higher ranked schools get into better specialties/residencies because they tend to have a better pool of students to begin with. With this being said, if you think you are just as capable as students from the top schools and you go to a lower ranked school, then there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get whatever you want our of your medical career.

There will rarely be 2 identical applicants. If an applicant from drexel has a 250, honors in all classes/rotations, applicable research, etc, and an applicant from Harvard has the same credentials, I would hope faculty would make the ultimate decision on spending the next 3-7 years with an individual, not based on who attended which school, but on how well they liked the person during the interview, the uniqueness of the individuals hobbies and interests and how well they feel the individual will fit in with current residents and attendings.

The only real hurdle you may ever have to face is finding good research to do if you end up going to a lesser known school. Research heavy schools have more opportunities so it is easier for students to get involved. Don't let this deter you though. If you really are aiming at a competitive specialty, you can find good research opportunities at every school in the US.

Thanks for the response. So the key is to excel enough in medical school to land a residency at an academic center. I'm glad to have been accepted to a school that is reputable for producing strong clinicians and seems to be a supportive and nurturing place. From what I'm hearing out of you guys, if I want to leave the door open for academia in the future, it is still possible to make it at this school even though it is not known for bringing in loads of NIH grants.
 
Academic medicine is probably the only aspect of a doctor's career affected by the ranking of school he attended. This is true in most PhD programs as well.

That being said, if you are lucky enough to get accepted to a WTFBBQSauceELITeZ tier school such as Drexel, I'm sure you will have no problem finding a niche in academics.
 
How happy you'll be attending a certain school should be your number one concern.

Regarding what's considered "top-tier" though, I think that I would extend it through the top 25. If you already include the top 20, then why not include UT Southwestern, Sinai, Emory, UVA, Case and Mayo? All of them are amazing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Many medical schools do not provide data to US News. When you rank the top 60 medical schools by NIH dollars, towards the middle and bottom, the lists do not match
 
How happy you'll be attending a certain school should be your number one concern.

Regarding what's considered "top-tier" though, I think that I would extend it through the top 25. If you already include the top 20, then why not include UT Southwestern, Sinai, Emory, UVA, Case and Mayo? All of them are amazing.

Mayo deserves to be top tier. The others are great schools but when I think tippy top tier I tend to think name recognition. Besides, 20 is a nice number and tiers don't actually exist. If you want to consider them top tier, no one is going to disprove you.
 
Drexel is like Middle tier to low. I don't really know what they consider low tier though..

That being said...you could still come from there and be a derm/neurosurgeon/ortho whatever if you do well enough.
 
For those who say tier/ranking "does not matter", where would you choose to go if you got accepted to Harvard and Drexel? I've visited 15 or so schools this past year and in most cases ranking was surprisingly reflective of the quality of the program/students. I'm curious of what others' impressions are after med school and/or residency interviews. Of course, there are always exceptions.
 
For those who say tier/ranking "does not matter", where would you choose to go if you got accepted to Harvard and Drexel? I've visited 15 or so schools this past year and in most cases ranking was surprisingly reflective of the quality of the program/students. I'm curious of what others' impressions are after med school and/or residency interviews. Of course, there are always exceptions.

Cheapest school in a location that I like the best.

Out of the 2 you listed, never been to Harvard, so can't make the assessment.

Thus, to answer the OP, Drexel belongs in the "US medical school tier."