what time do residents go to bed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

berger911

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been a well oiled machined running off 6 hours of sleep/night for the past 4 years without consuming any caffeine. however, i am scared of getting so little sleep starting next year. what time do you all try to hit the sack?

Members don't see this ad.

i've been a well oiled machined running off 6 hours of sleep/night for the past 4 years without consuming any caffeine. however, i am scared of getting so little sleep starting next year. what time do you all try to hit the sack?

Try? 9pm
Succeed? 2am
Awaken? 5am

Depends on the specialty and the rotation. The problem with trying to be a well-oiled sleep machine as a resident is that your hours change on a regular basis. Right now I'm working nights where I go to bed around 10:30 AM. Next week I'll be working days and going to bed around 9:30 PM. Next year I'll be doing 24 hour shifts where I might not get to sleep at all.

That being said, you don't have to turn into a caffeine junky either. I do find some caffeine helpful mid-day (or mid-night, as the case may be), especially when I've just changed over from nights to days or vice versa. But I'm talking like one can of diet soda here, not a hard core grand latte. And too much caffeine gives me palpitations, so there's a natural limit to how much I can consume even if I wanted more.

am a fellow with regular work hours. bed by 9:30 most nights, up at 5am to exercise before work most days. works for me.

depends on the rotation. ICU: bed at 9pm, up at 4:30am. Or bed at 9am, up at 4pm if I'm on nights. Clinic: bed at 11pm, up at 6:30am.

Wards: well, hours are all over the place. And change of rotation with call on the last weekend tends to be brutal. Last night I went to bed at 11pm. Woke at 6:45am. Tonight I will do the same, but tomorrow I will work from 8am-1pm, then try to nap a couple hours because I'm on call in the ICU that night. So I won't get to bed until 8am Saturday, will get up at 4pm for call Saturday night.

Basically bedtime has to be a rather... fluid concept during residency. As does the number of hours of sleep you get a night.

Basically, I try for 8 hours, often get 5-7, and occasionally get none for 24 hours. Days off after a brutal week I will sleep for 12-13 hours straight. My next day off is April 5. I anticipate a good 15 hours of sleep that night/day. Then the rest of my month should settle down into a reasonable sleep schedule with 6-7 hours a night.

Bed at 11-12, up at five. I've adapted to it pretty well, I used to average ten to twelve hours when I was in medical school and college

I catch up on my weekends tho

Believe me, it is not by accident that there is an expression...

Eat when you can, sleep when you can.

I'm an EM resident. Sometimes I go to bed at 8 AM. Sometimes 8 PM. And sometimes any hour of the day. I try to get 6 hours of sleep, but my circadian rhythm often rebels.

When I was in the ICU as an intern, I got up at 4 AM every day. Now I generally get up no later than an hour and a half before I have to be at work. Sometimes work starts at 7a, 8a, 3p, 5p, or 11p. I've found that the trick is to keep yourself sleep deprived enough that you can sleep at any time, but not so sleep deprived that you feel sleepy all day. Coming back from vacation is the WORST - I'm so well-rested that I can't fall asleep early enough if I'm working a day shift the next day. Takes bout 3 days of 4 hours sleep to adjust back!

I usually dont sleep but when I do I go to bed around 11pm....

Generally go to bed between 10:30 and midnight, up by 4:30 for rounds. Post call I'll take a nap at noon and be awake at 2 to get stuff done.

I read this in the voice of the Dos Equis guy...

I don't think he needs sleep. Think he's a bit like Al Pacino's character in the Devil's Advocate:

Lomax/Reeves: And a bedroom?
Barzoon: No bedroom.
Lomax/Reeves: Where does he sleep?
Barzoon: Who said he sleeps?
Lomax/Reeves: Where does he f*?
Milton/Pacino: (walking in) Everywhere!!!