What to buy a Doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have been shadowing a surgeon for two years in October, he has been a great mentor and really helped me get a grasp for why this profession is so great. He is resigning from his position in Birmingham and moving back to his home state of Kentucky. So I want to buy him and his staff some gifts to say thank you.

First of all I think I will buy his nurses some food/gift baskets with coffee, and fruits. Any other suggestions are appreciated though.

Second of all, what do you get a surgeon? I have considered a few things like ink refills for the pens he carries with him, he is really anal about them and doesn't let anyone use them and it is obvious he loves them. Another thing that was suggested to me is just to buy him some type of alcohol, a nice wine or maybe some scotch or something? I have never bought a gift like this. I've bought my family/friends gifts but I've never been in this type of gift giving situation.

If anyone has surgery related suggestions (he is an orthopedic surgeon btw, mainly hip/knee replacements) there might be a cool silly gift associated with his practice.

Anyway, thanks for all the great responses as always!

Members don't see this ad.

DoctorPardi said:
Ok so I have been shadowing a surgeon for two years in October, he has been a great mentor and really helped me get a grasp for why this profession is so great. He is resigning from his position in Birmingham and moving back to his home state of Kentucky. So I want to buy him and his staff some gifts to say thank you.

First of all I think I will buy his nurses some food/gift baskets with coffee, and fruits. Any other suggestions are appreciated though.

Second of all, what do you get a surgeon? I have considered a few things like ink refills for the pens he carries with him, he is really anal about them and doesn't let anyone use them and it is obvious he loves them. Another thing that was suggested to me is just to buy him some type of alcohol, a nice wine or maybe some scotch or something? I have never bought a gift like this. I've bought my family/friends gifts but I've never been in this type of gift giving situation.

If anyone has surgery related suggestions (he is an orthopedic surgeon btw, mainly hip/knee replacements) there might be a cool silly gift associated with his practice.

Anyway, thanks for all the great responses as always!

If he is really into the pens then a pen-appropriate gift is awesome. I suggest levenger.com for all pen-related purchases.

And, though it doth pain me to admit it, the way to a nurse's heart is ever through her/his stomach. Coffee is good as is any sort of sweetmeat. Harry and David rocks in this particular regard.

Alcohol is a bit iffy as a gift IMHO, but if you are certain that the target consumes and you know the target of consumption, then you can't go wrong.

Best of luck in your gift-giving endeavors. :)

Brando,
I think the pen thing is awesome. Shows you were paying attention and if they are the exact kind he needs it would be something he could use.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
MollyMalone said:
If he is really into the pens then a pen-appropriate gift is awesome. I suggest levenger.com for all pen-related purchases.

And, though it doth pain me to admit it, the way to a nurse's heart is ever through her/his stomach. Coffee is good as is any sort of sweetmeat. Harry and David rocks in this particular regard.

Alcohol is a bit iffy as a gift IMHO, but if you are certain that the target consumes and you know the target of consumption, then you can't go wrong.

Best of luck in your gift-giving endeavors. :)

Pardon my ignorance but what is Harry and David? Is that a coffee maker or a maker of basketed goods?

Also the doctor drinks coffee like most people consume oxygen, so I assume he would appreciate some coffee, but he doesn't seem to appreciate fine coffee. He drinks whatever coffee happens to be brewed and it is usually hours old and he nevers put sugar or any cream in it and he will make fun of you if you put any in yours lol. So I am unsure about the coffee gift for him, but if it comes down to coffee or an iffy ink purchase I'll go with the coffee.

jackieMD2007 said:
Brando,
I think the pen thing is awesome. Shows you were paying attention and if they are the exact kind he needs it would be something he could use.

:)

That's what I was thinking, it would be something personal. Also you have to consider there are a million reps at the hospital and they will be buying him so much crap he will not know what to do with it. So if I buy him coffee, or fruit well that will be the 5th coffee or fruit basket he gets, so why not get him something more personal that I know he would appreciate.

I think I might still get a goofy surgery gift. If I did it would be in addition to another sincere purchase, maybe something really cheesy like a golden plated scalpel or something lol.

DoctorPardi said:
Pardon my ignorance but what is Harry and David? Is that a coffee maker or a maker of basketed goods?

Also the doctor drinks coffee like most people consume oxygen, so I assume he would appreciate some coffee, but he doesn't seem to appreciate fine coffee. He drinks whatever coffee happens to be brewed and it is usually hours old and he nevers put sugar or any cream in it and he will make fun of you if you put any in yours lol. So I am unsure about the coffee gift for him, but if it comes down to coffee or an iffy ink purchase I'll go with the coffee.

Harry and David is a maker of fine basketed goods. :) I can vouch for their basket quality.

Levenger is where you go if you are buying something penwise. As a pen person myself, I would be totally impressed with a Levenger gift. :)

Totally! Levenger is really nice, Brando. Serious.

You think it would be worth while to buy him a new set of pens? Or should I just go with refills or some other pen related gift that can serve his current pens?

I never thought I would want to know this much about pens lol.

jackieMD2007 said:
Totally! Levenger is really nice, Brando. Serious.

Ooooh, yay!, another Levenger aficionado!

I really lust after the Majorca briefbag. Anyone want to donate one to me???

<I kid! I kid!>

DoctorPardi said:
You think it would be worth while to buy him a new set of pens? Or should I just go with refills or some other pen related gift that can serve his current pens?

I never thought I would want to know this much about pens lol.

Refills would be nice, though if he's in the market for a nice fountain pen, the basic Levenger series is pretty awesome.

MollyMalone said:

<I kid! I kid!>

I am going to see if they sell anything in the way of lap top/schoolish bags. My new macbook will require an upgrade from my old school LL Bean back pack with BMP on it. (although let me give a shout out to LL bean, because this is far and away the best backpack I have ever had, it is 6 years old and in like 95% of it's original shape)

Anyway, back to the gift, I am going to see if I can't find a nice pen collection set, if not that I might just buy him a single new pen. Either way I think it should serve the purpose.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys and if anyone else has any ideas feel free to add them. I will not be making a purchase for a few weeks.

DoctorPardi said:
I am going to see if they sell anything in the way of lap top/schoolish bags. My new macbook will require an upgrade from my old school LL Bean back pack with BMP on it. (although let me give a shout out to LL bean, because this is far and away the best backpack I have ever had, it is 6 years old and in like 95% of it's original shape)

Anyway, back to the gift, I am going to see if I can't find a nice pen collection set, if not that I might just buy him a single new pen. Either way I think it should serve the purpose.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys and if anyone else has any ideas feel free to add them. I will not be making a purchase for a few weeks.

Levenger has a lot of truly awesome bags. They are the $$$, though.

Need any other help, let me know!

DoctorPardi said:

With the pen idea, Montblanc does engravings. I think that would be an awesome gift but it could be a little pricey too. Their new Starwalker line of pens is sweet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so I should probably stop posting in this thread talking basically to just you two but levenger has a gift guide section and a category for physicians lol.

So I was looking through their items and I found a few things. One is a commemorative box, that I could have engraved with something sappy and then buy one of their cheaper pens and have it inside the box.

Here is the link to the box:
http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=351-380-385|PageID=1685|Level=2-3-4

Here is a pen I am considering:
http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=351-387-393|PageID=2788|Level=2-3-4

I have two TrueWriters, though admittedly I have the fountain pens... they are really nice... quite nicer than the price would suggest.

Would be perfect as a gift, truly. :) :)

Personally, I would put the money towards one thing and up the quality a bit rather than getting a combo of sorts. For example, a 30 dollar pen is a nice thought but a 60 dollar pen he'll probably use and even show off a little. Just my 2 cents :) Plus, one nice gift is kind of classy or something.

MollyMalone said:
I have two TrueWriters, though admittedly I have the fountain pens... they are really nice... quite nicer than the price would suggest.

Would be perfect as a gift, truly. :) :)

My concern about a fountain pen is, and this may be completely wrong, that they might be too inky for a physician's purposes? He currently does not carry a fountain pen, so it could be a nice gift, but that also suggests he doesn't want one.

I worry that a fountain pen might bleed on charts and be a little too fancy for the daily writing grind that doctors have to endure. Tell me if this is a possibility? If it isn't I will probably go with the fountain pen over the ballpoint.

Zoom-Zoom said:
Personally, I would put the money towards one thing and up the quality a bit rather than getting a combo of sorts. For example, a 30 dollar pen is a nice thought but a 60 dollar pen he'll probably use and even show off a little. Just my 2 cents :) Plus, one nice gift is kind of classy or something.

You think so? Like I said I have never gotten a "professional" gift before. So I really don't know what would be the right move. A nice engraved pen might be the way to go. I'll have to think about it some more.

DoctorPardi said:
My concern about a fountain pen is, and this may be completely wrong, that they might be too inky for a physician's purposes? He currently does not carry a fountain pen, so it could be a nice gift, but that also suggests he doesn't want one.

I worry that a fountain pen might bleed on charts and be a little too fancy for the daily writing grind that doctors have to endure. Tell me if this is a possibility? If it isn't I will probably go with the fountain pen over the ballpoint.

Seriously, you're right. Technically speaking, one is not supposed to chart with a fountain pen, because it can bleed.

That said, the true pen aficionados I've worked with do chart with fountain pens and choose to flout the rules. But if your doc works with regular pens, then a regular pen I would give him.

MollyMalone said:
Seriously, you're right. Technically speaking, one is not supposed to chart with a fountain pen, because it can bleed.

That said, the true pen aficionados I've worked with do chart with fountain pens and choose to flout the rules. But if your doc works with regular pens, then a regular pen I would give him.

Hmm well that is kind of a problem, I know he doesn't carry a fountain pen, but clearly it is the more professional, upscale style of pen. I would assume since he is somewhat pen crazy he has tried fountain pens and found them not to his satisfaction.

Do the more expensive, nicer fountain pens bleed less than a cheaper version? If so I might get him one anyway and tell him to give it a shot and see if it works out for him at least. I would just hate to get one and have him appreciate the gesture but not use it. Although, he could certainly use it for his personal business, checks, writing letters and what not. Ok I know I am thinking this through way too much lol, but I really would like to get something thoughtful and useful for him for the 2 years of service he has provided me free of charge.

DoctorPardi said:
Hmm well that is kind of a problem, I know he doesn't carry a fountain pen, but clearly it is the more professional, upscale style of pen. I would assume since he is somewhat pen crazy he has tried fountain pens and found them not to his satisfaction.

Do the more expensive, nicer fountain pens bleed less than a cheaper version? If so I might get him one anyway and tell him to give it a shot and see if it works out for him at least. I would just hate to get one and have him appreciate the gesture but not use it. Although, he could certainly use it for his personal business, checks, writing letters and what not. Ok I know I am thinking this through way too much lol, but I really would like to get something thoughtful and useful for him for the 2 years of service he has provided me free of charge.

:laugh: If he uses ballpoint/rollerball then that's what I would give him. A fountain pen is quite an adjustment and if he does not use one already then I would go with a nice rollerball/ballpoint. I'm sure he will appreciate the gesture.

MollyMalone said:
:laugh: If he uses ballpoint/rollerball then that's what I would give him. A fountain pen is quite an adjustment and if he does not use one already then I would go with a nice rollerball/ballpoint. I'm sure he will appreciate the gesture.

Alright, thanks for the info :). My box/pen idea is still on! Also I'll check out Harry and David's giftbasketeer website soon.

IT depends how much you want to spend. I like Cross pens and there is of course Mont Blanc.

For the nurses, I use ralphrottensnuts.com. They deliver anywhere in the country and have excellent gift trays with candy and nuts and dried fruits etc.

DoctorPardi said:

You slay me! As a personalized gift I suggest buying him a bunch of old people...they are probably cheap to buy (but loaded with orthopedic problems = $$$$), so if they don't work out you can sell them back to the bingo hall and settle for fountain pens. :D

DoctorPardi said:

I would definitely go for a ball point or roller style pen. Most high end companies do ballpoints and fountains for every pen style, so it shouldn't be a problem finding alternatives to fountain pens.

How do you guys go about finding a doctor to shadow? Do i just ask a doctor that i frequently see at the hosiptal i volunteer at?

vtucci said:
IT depends how much you want to spend. I like Cross pens and there is of course Mont Blanc.

If he is like every other physician, he will lose his (and walk off with other's) pens pretty regularly. As these tend to be pretty fluid commodities, lots of physicians simply won't carry expensive ones. So be sure he will use it before you drop a lot on something like a mont blanc. I know too many doctors with nice pens hidden in drawers at home because they are too afraid they will lose them.

A bottle of wine is always nice (unless, of course, you don’t like wine like myself). A good bottle of scotch can be a swanky gift as well.

Law2Doc said:
If he is like every other physician, he will lose his (and walk off with other's) pens pretty regularly. As these tend to be pretty fluid commodities, lots of physicians simply won't carry expensive ones. So be sure he will use it before you drop a lot on something like a mont blanc. I know too many doctors with nice pens hidden in drawers at home because they are too afraid they will lose them.

He has a set of pens he uses everyday. He has been using them for as long as I have knew him. So I think there is at least the chance he will use the pen.

MollyMalone said:

<I kid! I kid!>

Molly,

Tell you what. I'll bring you one to my Pritzker interview, if you could swing me a Pritzker interview. :)

Jackie :thumbup:

Jumping in on the pen thing:

Have you seen those cool 3-in-1, 4-in-1 pens? The well-made ones, you just tip it back and tip it forward and a different tip comes out--so you can have a blue pen, black pen, red pen and a pencil in one convenient package.