What to do and not do during an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That is mostly true. The issues we have in my group is not income or time off. It’s location. I live in what I consider the absolute best place in this country. But I understand that the majority of anesthesiologists would disagree with me. If you are not active in an outdoor manner then you would struggle here. Work is usually only half of my day. After work is when the fun starts. Tomorrow I leave work for a weekend of flyfishing on world class waters on a private ranch among massive mountain peaks onLy a few hours from my hospital. Every weekend is a cacophony what do I do now. If I wasn’t going fishing then I’d be in a 12 hr mountain bike race On a team with my partners. This is why I don’t go into details of money and vacation. I want to know, can you ride a bike? Can you skin up a mountain in a blizzard and say” that was awesome,let’s do it again”. If this isn’t your shtick then you won’t be happy here. My newest partner came from Connecticut. He bought a bicycle a couple weeks ago and some touring gear then took off solo on a biking camping trip unsupported for days. Just getting out there. We never talked about money during the interview. If you are lucky enough to get an interview with us (;)) then you spent a good bit of time with our new members. If they can’t convince you it isn’t about money then you are not for us.

man that sounds fun

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What if I told you that everyone is paid the same from day one and nobody has left the group because of income?
That's a rare group Noyac. I would bet most groups have "employee" type models before the partner track and then more money once partner.
Heck many groups in desirable areas aren't even looking for partners. They want employees for life.

That's a rare group Noyac. I would bet most groups have "employee" type models before the partner track and then more money once partner.
Heck many groups in desirable areas aren't even looking for partners. They want employees for life.
We are “special”.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is mostly true. The issues we have in my group is not income or time off. It’s location. I live in what I consider the absolute best place in this country. But I understand that the majority of anesthesiologists would disagree with me. If you are not active in an outdoor manner then you would struggle here. Work is usually only half of my day. After work is when the fun starts. Tomorrow I leave work for a weekend of flyfishing on world class waters on a private ranch among massive mountain peaks onLy a few hours from my hospital. Every weekend is a cacophony what do I do now. If I wasn’t going fishing then I’d be in a 12 hr mountain bike race On a team with my partners. This is why I don’t go into details of money and vacation. I want to know, can you ride a bike? Can you skin up a mountain in a blizzard and say” that was awesome,let’s do it again”. If this isn’t your shtick then you won’t be happy here. My newest partner came from Connecticut. He bought a bicycle a couple weeks ago and some touring gear then took off solo on a biking camping trip unsupported for days. Just getting out there. We never talked about money during the interview. If you are lucky enough to get an interview with us (;)) then you spent a good bit of time with our new members. If they can’t convince you it isn’t about money then you are not for us.
Three questions.
1. How did you find someone all the way from Connecticut? You got connections out there?
2. Are there any women in your practice? I ask because of the fun activities you describe. Besides riding a bike down the neighborhood street, I don't do it in the mountains. Sounds scary to me.
3. What does "skin up a mountain" mean? Climb a mountain?

Wont even lie....that sounds fun and I probably don't have to worry as much about a homeless guy stealing my bike.

Three questions.
1. How did you find someone all the way from Connecticut? You got connections out there?
2. Are there any women in your practice? I ask because of the fun activities you describe. Besides riding a bike down the neighborhood street, I don't do it in the mountains. Sounds scary to me.
3. What does "skin up a mountain" mean? Climb a mountain?
I think he found us.
Yes we have a couple women
Skin means to climb up the man with skis. No lifts.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I told you over the phone that the compensation package and the vacation package are more than fair and that nobody has left our group due to either one of these, ever. Would you still need to hear the details before yo7 would interview?

I'd probably need to know the first digit. Or what your pooled unit is. Something to give me an idea if your in the 200s or 800s. I wouldn't think the vacation would need to be kept too confidential, but everyone has their own feelings on things. I've seen groups with 4 weeks off, and that wouldn't be something I would take. Same with a job in the $200s.

I get what your saying and I'm not trying to be critical of your processes. There are places where location comes first, and it sounds like you are in one of those. A guy I worked with a few years ago took a job in Hawaii. He lived with a roommate in a small house, took up surfing, wore flip flops everywhere, etc. He took the job because it paid "enough" and he wanted to be in Hawaii. I think for most anesthesiologists in most non resort/vacation locations, money and time off are one of the 3-4 significant factors in the decision.

How did you verify him to make sure he was a good fit? As in you knew of contacts way up in CT? Asking because of a previous thread.
Spoke with PACU RN’s. Surgeons etc. when we don’t have a direct connection you need to get creative.

Spoke with PACU RN’s. Surgeons etc. when we don’t have a direct connection you need to get creative.
Oh Ok. Just that lots of people on this board are all about "I have to speak to someone I trust who can vouch for the candidate" or "we have our reliable residency sites we always/most often hire from" and I was wondering how you did it. I have found you in the past but it was for locums work I was looking.

Oh Ok. Just that lots of people on this board are all about "I have to speak to someone I trust who can vouch for the candidate" or "we have our reliable residency sites we always/most often hire from" and I was wondering how you did it. I have found you in the past but it was for locums work I was looking.
It’s a tricky task to follow up on a candidate. References suck because nobody is gonna ask a colleague or attending that they didn’t see eye to eye with to give them a LOR. For that reason, references must be exceptionally good LOR’s. If a candidate can’t get 3 people to write exceptional LOR then there is something missing. But it is always better to have a trusted friend or colleague that you can call to get another perspective. Plus, who actually knows how a persons pts really do after surgery better than the PACU RN’s? But you have to be careful with RN’s. They don’t always understand what we do and they can be easily influenced or jaded. You need to be able to read their responses. Nothing is easy in recruiting. Which is why I prefer to get the right person the first time.

It’s a tricky task to follow up on a candidate. References suck because nobody is gonna ask a colleague or attending that they didn’t see eye to eye with to give them a LOR. For that reason, references must be exceptionally good LOR’s. If a candidate can’t get 3 people to write exceptional LOR then there is something missing. But it is always better to have a trusted friend or colleague that you can call to get another perspective. Plus, who actually knows how a persons pts really do after surgery better than the PACU RN’s? But you have to be careful with RN’s. They don’t always understand what we do and they can be easily influenced or jaded. You need to be able to read their responses. Nothing is easy in recruiting. Which is why I prefer to get the right person the first time.

Exactly this. At my gig the "good anesthesiologists" are the ones that smile and do whatever they say. We, of course, know that's not true.

Reactions: 1 users
Exactly this. At my gig the "good anesthesiologists" are the ones that smile and do whatever they say. We, of course, know that's not true.

Usually these residents win most if not all of the graduation awards while most roll their eyes. Such people would do well in academic practice with plenty of help around for bail out. A busy (especially solo) PP gig would be challenging.

Reactions: 3 users