what to do before starting med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lattimer13

good boy!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that the summer before med school is a time to relax or do something special since your time will be limited for the next decade or so.

For those of you that are starting med school in the fall of 2003, what are your plans for the summer before starting school?

For those of you who are already in med school, do you have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking the summer off to travel, visit folks, and run around in the Rockies!

My plans so far are to spend a couple of weeks with my grandfather, drive the Pacific Coast Highway from San Diego to San Fran (and possibly beyond), and spend a month or so in CO and Montana camping and fishing.

That is, if I can get enough spare cash saved up :(

It's getting hard for me to decide how much of my paycheck to set aside for school, for bills, and for money to play with over the summer.

I'm going to finish my quest to try every popular narcotic available:clap: Are you with me?!

Hope that Helps

P 'Just Say No' ShankOut

Members don't see this ad :)
Starting business school in May.

P 'Cold rockin' it since 1979' ShankOut

i dont know about you guys, but i'm going to cruise the clubs and pick up chicks....
panties will be droppin once i tell them i'm in med school. :D :D
ask me if i'm joking!!! :eek:
cuz baby i aint....
see ya in da clubs!!!

travel, travel, travel. :)

I'm biking cross-country (baltimore to san fran.). Never been much of a biker, so hopefully I'll make it by the time med school starts.

I really wanna travel too. But, I can only spare the three weeks before I have to start school. I am sure it would be a good idea to start school all pooped out.
Oh, well!

Originally posted by medilicious
I'm biking cross-country (baltimore to san fran.). Never been much of a biker, so hopefully I'll make it by the time med school starts.

Now that's the life!!!

Man, I don't where you people get your finances, but I'm gonna be working through May! Then I hope to do a summer early start program at my school.

I'm thinking about applying for a summer research position (maybe NIH or something like that.)

Anyone else thinking of doing the same?

wanna try my hand at being a backup singer for faith hill. . .
hehe just kidding. although that would be awesome.
i'll be graduating, finding a job somewhere completely non-science related (hm, clothing store maybe?) , and enjoying my last few months in my new haven apartment.

assuming i get in (which isn't really a fair assumption)- i want to go to spain for a month and drink bottles of wine and dick around. then hopefully go fishing in florida for another month everyday and make my own fish tacos for dinner... mmm... i figure by then my brain won't work anymore and i'll be like 330 pounds and ready to figure out the damage i did to myself all summer (once again assuming i get in). if not, i think i'll try setting the world record for eating funyons in an hour.

p

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm gonna hit up all the clubs and drop the m-bomb like there's no tomorrow.

I will also be spending time with family - I have a sister who is due to have my first niece/nephew in May :clap:

I will also, like DarkChild, be cruising the bars for some hotties... but sometimes mentioning that I'm going to medical school scares the weak guys away :rolleyes:

Drugz....Sex.....Sex....Alcohol....and the cycle continues

I am going to give my latest M-bomb (med school) a test run this summer as well. I don't really have great expectations however. When mentioning my other M-bomb (my MIT degree) to women, it simply draws blank stares or comments about how they know someone who went to ITT Technical Institute.

I'm going to work as an EMT full time. Save up my money.

Then go to AFRICA

yeah baby, hopefully get some chicks before med school starts. I got time now.

Originally posted by DarkChild
i dont know about you guys, but i'm going to cruise the clubs and pick up chicks....
cuz baby i aint....
see ya in da clubs!!!
Go shorty it's ya birthday, we're gonna party like its ya birthday, we're gonna drink bacardi like it's ya birthday, and we don't care if it's not even your birthday. See ya in da club too droppin I fona go to med school line.

I am working till May also!! but then itis off to Italy for a month and Canada for acouple more weeks!

Working until the day I move. Vacation? Wasn't that all those trips for interviews?:(

make money by day, drink the money by night. this is the summer to cull out the stupid brain cells so i'm nice and smart in time for med school...

i am working full time until the beginning of july. (yeah where are y'all getting all this moolah?! sheesh!) i'm trying to save $ for a down payment on a condo... and a 2week vacation to france and ireland... but that may not all pan out and i may end up getting a shady rental and then going to the UP to see my mom and down to georgia to see my friend.
eh.

i'm going to hawaii at the mid/end of may -- yay!!! then it's off to ireland with my boyfriend for several weeks. from there i'll probably go to a few places in europe. right now i'm thinking barcelona but will probably go to a couple of other places as well. i cannot wait!!! even if i'm not into med school i'm going to treat myself to a nice summer :)

workin' til june...taking off to europe...london, spain, paris, and perhaps the greek islands...hitting the carribean in april...hitting jazzfest in early may...

i'm hoping to work until june and quit....hopefully by that time i'll have my credit card debt down to about 2K.....
neway, hoping to go on a cruise with my gf. but as of now, it looks to be a wishful thinking due to monetary issues. but i do plan on making this summer the best evAR

hopefully travel. Working and saving up money now...0 debt, and hope to have a nice sum of assets of around $10k going into my first year for whatever I need.

wow, everybody is traveling here...

i live, IMHO, in the best city in the country (chicago), so i'll be quitting my job in early june and being lazy from then on. maybe see some friends in other parts of the country, but just be lazy, have fun and relax.

i've saved enough money to do it.

it sounds so nice as i sit in my office, surrounded by paperwork:(

find a british drummer, make him fall in love with me, shag him for all he's worth, and leave him heartbroken

*tips hat*

Originally posted by Pickle Salt
find a british drummer, make him fall in love with me, shag him for all he's worth, and leave him heartbroken

*tips hat*

Damn...that was my idea. I guess i will just have to go to europe like everyone else. Oh wait, i forgot, i spent all my money on this fu@king process...guess i will be working for as long as my job will have me.:mad:

Originally posted by Pickle Salt

*tips hat*
If you don't find him, can I take his place. I don't know how to play the drums, but I do know how to spin some mean drum n bass.:D

Well, I'm graduating in May- but taking a year off. Regardless, I am going to have some fun this summer! I am thinking about wandering around Europe for a month or so, provided my parents would like to fund such a venture... and I can convince some of my friends that they need to go to Europe with me more than they need a job (working on that one still). But honestly guys, if you have the chance to do it- SERIOUSLY travel. It's going to be a long time before most of us will ever get this chance again (say... not until we retire probably!). There will definitely be as much partying as possible going on in my year off- I'm so burned out and I totally deserve it!!! :D

Originally posted by wolferman
When mentioning my other M-bomb (my MIT degree) to women, it simply draws blank stares or comments about how they know someone who went to ITT Technical Institute.
Funniest thing i've seen on this forum in quiet a while

Originally posted by DarkChild
cuz baby i aint....
see ya in da clubs!!!

Hmm.... I tried the "hey, baby, I am goin' to med school" pick up line.... but it just doesn't seem to work on guys. Low-cut tops and short skirts have been far more successful. Last week, I was explaining to this one guy how in another 8-10 years (once I finish with residency and all), and assuming all goes well, I can be his sugar mamma... But then of course, I will probably end up doing something relatively low paying just for the fun of it.... and well, I think he was too drunk to understand and tried to put his hand up my shirt, so I had to get rid of him. :-/

Originally posted by Slinkie
Hmm.... I tried the "hey, baby, I am goin' to med school" pick up line.... but it just doesn't seem to work on guys. Low-cut tops and short skirts have been far more successful. Last week, I was explaining to this one guy how in another 8-10 years (once I finish with residency and all), and assuming all goes well, I can be his sugar mamma... But then of course, I will probably end up doing something relatively low paying just for the fun of it.... and well, I think he was too drunk to understand and tried to put his hand up my shirt, so I had to get rid of him. :-/

Slinkie-
totally sucks for us girls, huh?? I think guys are more scared by smart girls than anything- especially the kinds of guys who are likely to populate clubs/ bars. I already ended up breaking up with one boy who didn't think he was "good enough" for me or some such nonsense. But it's not fair- we should be getting some ass because we're going to medical school too!! hehehehe :laugh:

Originally posted by DrCarin
Slinkie-
totally sucks for us girls, huh?? I think guys are more scared by smart girls than anything- especially the kinds of guys who are likely to populate clubs/ bars. I already ended up breaking up with one boy who didn't think he was "good enough" for me or some such nonsense. But it's not fair- we should be getting some ass because we're going to medical school too!! hehehehe :laugh:

smart girls are sexy...and i populate clubs and bars too....unfortunately smart girls seem to be a rarity at those places.

Originally posted by UCLAMAN
smart girls are sexy...and i populate clubs and bars too....unfortunately smart girls seem to be a rarity at those places.

UCLAMAN-
well, i agree that smart girls are sexy of course (i'm living proof hahaha). but it does seem that smart girls AND guys are somewhat rare in such places, unfortunately. but when you're surrounded by wash u guys, you take what you can get most of the time (oops- did i really just say that??)

I go to clubs and bars all the time and I act like a fool. And to all my lovely premed ladies out there if you're ever in L.A. and need some ass, I'll be more then happy to break you off a little somethin somethin. I'll rat ta tat tat make yo head snap back.:D

Originally posted by Deuce 007 MD
I go to clubs and bars all the time and I act like a fool. And to all my lovely premed ladies out there if you ever in L.A. and need some ass, I'll be more then happy to break you off a little somethin somethin. I'll rat ta tat tat make yo head snap back.:D

haha sweet- i'll look you up if i'm ever in LA (maybe in the summer???) ;)

I decided to actually have a summer and to quit my jobs at the end of May. My boyfriend and I are gonna travel up the coast of California and stop at places like Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo and finally stop at San Francisco and stay there for a few days. Also, VEGAS BABY, where hilarity shall ensue. Also gonna spend as much time as possible w/ my family. I want to enjoy my niece's one-year-old hijinks before I go off and she grows up. :( Gonna do yoga and pilates and try to shave off my winter fat down to my old weight of 95-100 lbs. Lastly, LOTS of packing for a possible move across the country...this summer's gonna rock!:clap: