what to do during a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacytech

put in the effort...M.D!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to apply to medical school in the manner that is displayed in my sig.

For numerous reasons (most of all, basic laziness/partying - and also was not a pre med). I started at a univ. this summer quarter taking cell bio, an anthro class, and a botany class. I got a 4.0 in everything. I am not working now, only working during the breaks (in a pharmacy, something somewhat related to medicine:D )...so aside from volunteering once a week I have all the time i need to excell and am determined to continue getting nothing but really really high grades (3.9+). I've made room in my schedule to retake a year of ochem as well.

I've figured that I can raise my current ~2.9 GPA to ~3.6 if I continue doing this well. I know its not a good idea to predict an MCAT score, but I do plan on not taking classes one summer and just study my ass off for it.

Anyways, there will be a gap year for me. I've spoken to a "pre med advisor" and a D.O that I've been shadowing this summer about enrolling in a one year SMP program (such as georgetown, evms, ect) during that gap year. I think that will be the best way to enchance my application, and a safe thing-in case i dont get in first time round. They both think that it would be the best thing to do, even though my GPA would have been significantly improved.

So, what should I do during the gap year? I'm really leaning towards to SMP. Sometimes I think that I should just find work that year because I already plan on doing well in school. On the other hand, i'd rather be as competitive as an applicant as possible...i think the SMP would do that...and would hate to waste a year.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you not planning on applying in 2008 for the entering class of 2009? I just don't see why you're scheduling in a gap year.
Upon entering undergrad I wanted to major in biochem, but have since changed it to biology/anthropology...change of plans....

2006-2007: I'll be in undergrad. already did summer quarter. will do: fall winter spring.

2007-2008: I'll be a "senior" in undergrad. will not do summer quarter, instead..take MCAT (study for it too). I think by this year I can also take it later...in september instead of august.

2008-2009: fall quarter...this is when I'll finish my BS degree. I wanted to stay an extra two quarters post bac...I just dont feel that competitive with two years of university coursework behind me.

so thats why I am scheduling things like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really, it's hard to say since your gap year is three years away. If your GPA is tight and your last few semesters are great, I'm not sure what an SMP will get you unless you're looking for linkage.

You should spend the gap year filling the holes in your applicaiton, but we don't know what those are yet. So, I guess I would suggest something in research for your gap year since that seems to be the only thing you'll be missing if things go according to plan. Keep up your volunteering/medically related work through that year, too.

you have to figure out what you want to do closer to the time. college is a time to explore and figure out what you really love. take it one year at a time and youll be happy

also work on raising the gpa now in undergrad from 2.9 to 3.5. you have 3 years so it should be doable