What to do During Application Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mycoalwin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm applying this cycle, but I'm struggling to figure out what to do during the summer. I've been trying to apply for internships (few science-related ones, some business ones) but have not heard back yet! Could be impatience, but I'm starting to worry about this coming summer.

What do pre-dental students usually do aside from secondaries? Intern? Work? I'm assuming it'd be best that I stay in the States just in case I get interviews (unless interviews really only come late summer?). If interviews aren't for a long time, would it be bad to travel / work abroad?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I continued on doing my extra-curricular and worked as well. It is good that you keep on shadowing, volunteering, researching, etc. You can update your AADSAS application after your submission, which will give you the chance to make your application more stand out, hence higher chance of interview/acceptances. It is also good to show dental schools that you're not just doing the extracurricular activities for the sake of applying for dental school.

Good Luck!

@zhou381OSU thank you for your response! I would totally do the same - it's just that all of my activities operate only during the school year, leaving with no option to continue my activities.

I could shadow/volunteer, but as mentioned before, I would like to think I've done enough of that over the past three years!

Members don't see this ad :)
@zhou381OSU thank you for your response! I would totally do the same - it's just that all of my activities operate only during the school year, leaving with no option to continue my activities.

I could shadow/volunteer, but as mentioned before, I would like to think I've done enough of that over the past three years!

Yeah, you can basically do whatever you want, but keep your activities meaningful. There might be questions on the interviews asking you about your summer activities.

Yeah, you can basically do whatever you want, but keep your activities meaningful. There might be questions on the interviews asking you about your summer activities.

Regarding my idea of working abroad: would that be a bad idea? My initial idea was to stay in the States for interview purposes. When do interviews typically start?

Interviews typically start mid to late August. I would suggest staying in the states because you can start receiving phone calls from the schools in July to schedule your interview. Also, random things happen like AADSAS never received your transcripts and you have to resend it. Some schools are not paperless yet (Penn if I remember correctly) and you'll have to mail your secondaries.

I worked over the summer to get some extra money. Interviewing adds up (plane rides, hotels, outfits, etc).

I actually need to be out of the country from mid July to mid August since I'll apply first week of June and will submit all of my secondaries by mid July. What if schools called me during that time? Am I screwed?

I actually need to be out of the country from mid July to mid August since I'll apply first week of June and will submit all of my secondaries by mid July. What if schools called me during that time? Am I screwed?

If they can't contact you they (should) leave a voicemail or send an email. Your status may also be updated on the AADSAS portal so if you see a change but aren't contacted then you can call them instead. Most schools are also very flexible in rescheduling interviews so it isn't really an issue IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
I worked full time, recorded an album, and continued to volunteer. Most of all, cherish that summer because if you do get accepted, it will be the summer you get.

Looks like I'll just try working full time in the States to make sure everything runs smoothly with applications!

Is it necessary to continue shadowing. It's been a while since I've last shadowed (I only shadow during the summers), and I'm afraid I might forget some things come interview time. Thoughts?

Relax a little bit. Maybe take a vacation too!