What to do during the MCAT tutorial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jepstein30

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard of many people writing down Physics equations during the MCAT tutorial. How has this worked for whoever has tried this? I'm thinking of doing it just to get my brain going because honestly, I don't think having the list of equations would help me much since I'm pretty good at recalling them when needed.

What else have you guys done during the tutorial? Write down some factoids you forget routinely? Hormones list?

My plan right now is to use the 20 minutes to just get comfortable in the testing center and the environment to calm down my nerves a little bit going into the real thing.

What worked for all of you?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard of many people writing down Physics equations during the MCAT tutorial. How has this worked for whoever has tried this? I'm thinking of doing it just to get my brain going because honestly, I don't think having the list of equations would help me much since I'm pretty good at recalling them when needed.

What else have you guys done during the tutorial? Write down some factoids you forget routinely? Hormones list?

My plan right now is to use the 20 minutes to just get comfortable in the testing center and the environment to calm down my nerves a little bit going into the real thing.

What worked for all of you?

Pretty much cry. Lots and lots of crying.

But on a more serious note, you can write down every physics equation but in the end, you're going to more than likely use one or two. Don't waste your time. Just take your time through the tutorial and try to relax.

I have taken every AAMC CBT and I have yet to see a hormone question, by the way. They probably won't ask more than one question about the topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if your testing center was anything like mine, the only thing you could do during the tutorial is twiddle your thumbs. These bastids said writing down anything was not allowed during the tutorial. What a crock of shiznit

Well, if your testing center was anything like mine, the only thing you could do during the tutorial is twiddle your thumbs. These bastids said writing down anything was not allowed during the tutorial. What a crock of shiznit

Ask them to call the AAMC and confirm that then because it's not true.

I wouldn't bother writing down equations before the test. If you can write them down, you obviously know and remember them so why bother? You could argue that it'll help you recall them when you're under stress, but looking through a sheet of 50+ random equations isn't going to be a very efficient use of time, especially when you consider that you do know the equations seeing as how you wrote them down at the beginning of the test.

You should avoid writing anything tbh unless writing out your work will actually speed things up (as is often the case with bio pathways where taking a minute to write stuff down can save you minutes of constantly referring back to the passage and re-reading the same line over and over).

I have taken every AAMC CBT and I have yet to see a hormone question, by the way. They probably won't ask more than one question about the topic.
What? I've only done AAMC 3-7 and I saw plenty of hormone questions on there. Aldosterone, vasopressin, PTH, and calcitonin seem to be their favorites.

if you write organized formulas in the tutorial by topic... doesn't it help you so you can reflect quickly during a problem, or in case you have a brain fart?

you can skip it.. this may have been a bad idea for whatever reason but i skipped the tutorial on every single practice test and the real test. still haven't seen the thing...

Am I the only one that uses that time to check the computer and make sure everything works?

I go through it, albeit quickly. During the typing portion of the tutorial I make sure every key works. Simply typing ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ,."!' abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz allows you to check every key. When I took the test last week, the letter R did not work very well on my keyboard. I practically had to slam my finger on the key to get it to register. I just raised my hand and brought it up to the testing person. I was able to get it swapped out for a new keyboard that did, without wasting time in the timed portion of the WS.

I have also heard that someone said the exhibit button didn't work on their PS section and they ended up voiding because of it. If they would have checked during the tutorial then they wouldn't of had to void at the end.

So, go ahead and skip the tutorial. You just won't know if something doesn't work until you are in the middle of the test and lose out on time or have to void at the end. It only takes about 3 minutes to do it all.

Reactions: 1 user

I emailed the AAMC about this. here is my email and their reply.

"Hi,

I have been told by many people that during the tutorial preceding the
MCAT we are allowed to write on our scrap paper. I have been told that
most people use this time to write down equations that they have
memorized. Is this allowed? I ask because a few people have told me
that their testing center did not allow this and I want to know the
official policy.

Thank you"
"Thank you for contacting the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) program.

The test center will provide scratch paper, ear covers (industrial), and pencils. No other testing aids are allowed. You may use your scratch paper at any point after you have checked into the testing center. This means you are able to write on your scratch paper during the time of the tutorial. However, please note that the Test Center Administrator will collect your scratch paper before you leave.

To help us to continue to provide quality service, we would appreciate it if you could fill out a brief survey about your e-mail experience. The survey will take under 10 minutes to complete and will provide the insightful feedback needed to improve our services to you: https://surveys.aamc.org/se.ashx?s=7C7E87CB5BAE4A3C. If you have already completed this survey, thank you and please disregard.

Please let us know if you have questions or are in need of any additional assistance.

Warm Regards,
Katherine Forrester

The MCAT Resource Center
Association of American Medical Colleges 2450 N. St. NW Washington DC 20037

General Inquiries: 202-828-0690
www.aamc.org/mcat"

Your testing center broke the rules and cheated you.

I did two things during the tutorial:

(1) Wrote out a time chart for all three sections. I used this to keep track of my timing. Discretes first, then each passage one at a time in order. Timing was great for all sections because of this. I crossed off each passage as I completed it.

(2) I memorized many magic triangles. See:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_oZimMoBuZ...Gk/TJx5qO-Bu0w/s400/EquationTriangleSpeed.jpg

I wrote down many equations on a formula sheet that I had memorized before the exam. It was convenient and useful during the test because I had the formula sheet organized into 12 squares, each with its own topic for Physics and General Chemistry. When a topic came up in a passage, I checked the related square(s) in my formula sheet and looked at all equations quickly for about 15 seconds to refresh my memory and get my brain geared to solve questions.

Then, I went straight to the questions without reading the passage at all. I used my magic triangles to solve equations without having to rearrange the equations at all.

Best,
C

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I emailed the AAMC about this. here is my email and their reply.

"Hi,

I have been told by many people that during the tutorial preceding the
MCAT we are allowed to write on our scrap paper. I have been told that
most people use this time to write down equations that they have
memorized. Is this allowed? I ask because a few people have told me
that their testing center did not allow this and I want to know the
official policy.

Thank you"
"Thank you for contacting the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) program.

The test center will provide scratch paper, ear covers (industrial), and pencils. No other testing aids are allowed. You may use your scratch paper at any point after you have checked into the testing center. This means you are able to write on your scratch paper during the time of the tutorial. However, please note that the Test Center Administrator will collect your scratch paper before you leave.

To help us to continue to provide quality service, we would appreciate it if you could fill out a brief survey about your e-mail experience. The survey will take under 10 minutes to complete and will provide the insightful feedback needed to improve our services to you: https://surveys.aamc.org/se.ashx?s=7C7E87CB5BAE4A3C. If you have already completed this survey, thank you and please disregard.

Please let us know if you have questions or are in need of any additional assistance.

Warm Regards,
Katherine Forrester

The MCAT Resource Center

www.aamc.org/mcat"

Your testing center broke the rules and cheated you.

Where's my response? Haha I emailed them too, but only yesterday. Thanks for posting it though.

Am I the only one that uses that time to check the computer and make sure everything works?

I go through it, albeit quickly. During the typing portion of the tutorial I make sure every key works. Simply typing ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ,."!' abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz allows you to check every key. When I took the test last week, the letter R did not work very well on my keyboard. I practically had to slam my finger on the key to get it to register. I just raised my hand and brought it up to the testing person. I was able to get it swapped out for a new keyboard that did, without wasting time in the timed portion of the WS.

I have also heard that someone said the exhibit button didn't work on their PS section and they ended up voiding because of it. If they would have checked during the tutorial then they wouldn't of had to void at the end.

So, go ahead and skip the tutorial. You just won't know if something doesn't work until you are in the middle of the test and lose out on time or have to void at the end. It only takes about 3 minutes to do it all.

this is actually a good idea, will keep it in mind! ;)

Just to support the email that V5RED posted, here's the reply I got:

Dear _______:

Thank you for contacting the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) program.

The test center will provide scratch paper, ear covers (industrial), and pencils. No other testing aids are allowed. You may use your scratch paper at any point after you have checked into the testing center. However, please note that the Test Center Administrator will collect your scratch paper before you leave.

To help us to continue to provide quality service, we would appreciate it if you could fill out a brief survey about your email experience. The survey will take under 10 minutes to complete and will provide the insightful feedback needed to improve our services to you: https://surveys.aamc.org/se.ashx?s=7C7E87CB5BAE4A3C. If you have already completed this survey, thank you and please disregard.

Warm Regards,
Tia Norrington

The MCAT Resource Center

www.aamc.org/mcat