What to Do? Failed Part 2 Before Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teethy1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

New member here and in desperate need of some help. I recently took Part 2 at end of march and did not pass. I also have an AEGD program waiting for me starting on July 1st which requires part 2. I already decided not to take WREBs because I can get licensed through my residency, and it already to late to sign up at my school.

The problem is that ADA does not allow me to retake the exam within 90 days so I have to wait till July.

What do you suggest I do? Has anyone ever been able to retake it sooner than 90 days?

I have also spoken to my school and part 2 is not required to get my DDS degree.

PS: Before anyone say I should have studied harder, I put in many hours and days into it, and felt the exam didn't reflect much of what studied.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think ADA will allow you to retake before 90 days.
You need to contact your residency program director if they will wait for you till August.
They probably want your passing score.
I am sorry, but you just need to study as hard as you can to pass.
Mosby, Tufts Pharmacology, 1993 tests helped me the most.

Good luck!

i am in the same boat i dont think you can work or do gpr without part 2 can you??? what are my other options to do until i pass part 2?

talk to your AEGD director, and start preparation for part 2 from now. Change your sources/strategy in your studying and I think you would be fine

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,

New member here and in desperate need of some help. I recently took Part 2 at end of march and did not pass. I also have an AEGD program waiting for me starting on July 1st which requires part 2. I already decided not to take WREBs because I can get licensed through my residency, and it already to late to sign up at my school.

The problem is that ADA does not allow me to retake the exam within 90 days so I have to wait till July.

What do you suggest I do? Has anyone ever been able to retake it sooner than 90 days?

I have also spoken to my school and part 2 is not required to get my DDS degree.

PS: Before anyone say I should have studied harder, I put in many hours and days into it, and felt the exam didn't reflect much of what studied.
i understand how you feel! i failed too. Your best bet is to speak with the residency like the others stated and begin studying regardless. I am taking a different approach to my studies this time because i was in complete shock when I didn't pass! i just knew I did well. Do not get discouraged and do not let others make you feel bad. Pull up your boot straps and keep on trucking!:)

For those who had to retake in July and planned to start AEGD/GPR in July, were you able to stay in the program? Please advise.

I took part 2 end of march 2013 and failed. I won't be able to retake until end of June, which will delay the score until well into July 2013. I am starting AEGD on July 1.

sorry to hear about you guys not passing. I took mine today and plan to start residency in July also.. we'll see what happens.

If you do not pass does it give you a number score?

i understand how you feel! i failed too. Your best bet is to speak with the residency like the others stated and begin studying regardless. I am taking a different approach to my studies this time because i was in complete shock when I didn't pass! i just knew I did well. Do not get discouraged and do not let others make you feel bad. Pull up your boot straps and keep on trucking!:)

Hello Canine crusader, sorry to hear about your results. Even I failed my part-2 with a 74 . As you said could not believe my results. Can you please tell me what diiferent approach are you planning for your 2nd attempt? I am just worried about my retake exam. My 1st attempt I went through Decks, Mosby, Tufts pharm, Asda and Kaplan quest bank. I really cannot understand a different strategy towards my reading.Thanks in advance!!

Hello Canine crusader, sorry to hear about your results. Even I failed my part-2 with a 74 . As you said could not believe my results. Can you please tell me what diiferent approach are you planning for your 2nd attempt? I am just worried about my retake exam. My 1st attempt I went through Decks, Mosby, Tufts pharm, Asda and Kaplan quest bank. I really cannot understand a different strategy towards my reading.Thanks in advance!!

Hi....well I have my exam in a month ...I am using allof these material that u listed ...now m worried ...what to do:(
...Can u plz tell me how much u score in ASDA papers before exam ....and what are the topic u think heavily tested or like out of league.
Plz guide

so i got my results... and i passed! it took 2 and a half weeks to get my results back.

I used Decks, Mosbys and Tufts pharm review. I studied about 2 weeks for about 3 hours/day. Decks and mosby's are the same material just listed in a different format. I read Mosby's thoroughly and then just skimmed through bullet points on decks after reading each section in Mosbys. Tufts was helpful for pharm since it stresses key points that show up on old tests. Good luck to all who take it. Only about 4 people out of the 100 in my class failed so the odds are in your favor!

so i got my results... and i passed! it took 2 and a half weeks to get my results back.

I used Decks, Mosbys and Tufts pharm review. I studied about 2 weeks for about 3 hours/day. Decks and mosby's are the same material just listed in a different format. I read Mosby's thoroughly and then just skimmed through bullet points on decks after reading each section in Mosbys. Tufts was helpful for pharm since it stresses key points that show up on old tests. Good luck to all who take it. Only about 4 people out of the 100 in my class failed so the odds are in your favor!

Congratulations !
I have mine in may 3rd week..
can u please tell what sections were weighted more ...
especially for 2nd day and for patient management ...what to do and how to practice m scared:(

Hi Everyone,

Hi. What school do you attend for the AGED? Are there any others that accept with only part 1 with the condition of having part 2 taken by the time you are done? I wish you the very the best, dont worry what others say. You will make it, be a professional licensed and have a good future. You'll get it the next time around. Keep us posted bud.

Hey! I will retake my exam June 5 and 7. Unfortunately, I fell and tore my ACL, MCL, and meniscus so I had to postpone until I could atleast walk without assistance. I am not going to lie, I am nervous as hell as I can't do anything without passing Part 2. I am currently studying decks, the newest version, but will start looking at old exams again tomorrow. I have tried so many ways to study and when I take the exam, I feel like I am doing well, but unfortunately, I fail!! Keep me posted on how you do.