What to do for research LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEG@COOL

M0DE 01
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What should I do to show my appreciation to my professors for writing me LORS for different research programs and med school apps? Please nothing sexual.

Members don't see this ad.

MEG@COOL said:
Please nothing sexual.

Damn....well maybe you could start by.....oh, nevermind. Wait, what about.....aww damn. I believe you have precluded any suggestions I have. :(

MEG@COOL said:
What should I do to show my appreciation to my professors for writing me LORS for different research programs and med school apps? Please nothing sexual.

thank you notes and gift cards are typical. i brought each of my recommenders something back from Kenya because they were writing my recs while I was abroad.

Members don't see this ad :)
A thank-you note is really all that's needed. If you're in the financial situation to give a gift-card, then that's certainly not inappropriate, but it's also not required.

I can't believe reading SDN is now I found out John Spencer was dead. Now I have to mourn him and Leo... :(

MEG@COOL said:

Depending on the professor -

a bottle of sparkling wine (champagne or something similar) to drink a toast to your success

or

homebaked cookies in a pretty container (if you are a good baker and the professor has a sweet tooth)

delivered to the professor after you get your first offer of admission.

Of course, a sincere thank you note for giving you a work opportunity as well as for the LOR (but particularly for the work opportunity) is always appropriate and sufficient.

I think just a thank you note is fine.