what to do in gap year after SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JJMountainMan

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I just finished the first year out of two at a practically SMP Masters and have applied to 45+ MD schools. Lets say I dont get in and have to take a glide year and apply again; what is the best thing to do to increase my chances that would take only one year to complete? I am debating applying to MPH programs as well that can be finished in a year, but dont know if that will be good enough. How about getting my EMT-B and Paramedic certs?(which I could use and be on search and rescue if I dont get in once again)

My undergrad stats are poor: 3.3 non science, 2.7 science(failing a single class due to illness really F'd me). But I have a 30S MCAT(would do better if I had to retake, Ive been getting 36's on practice tests), and a 3.5+ in med school courses at my non SMP Masters at a med school where I take the same classes as first year med students and there is no curve and no grade inflation.

If I dont get in this cycle after completing my Masters, is it of any use at this point to go do a post-bacc to repeat the undergrad pre-med requirements that I did not too very well on during undergrad?

What does everyone else do during gap years after SMPs? I searched and didnt find a good thread but please direct me that way if I missed it.

Thanks
 
Last edited: