What to do next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kris400158

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only have 3 interviews so far: Einstein, Harvard, and Miami (submitted all secondaries 8/1-8/20). Which makes me think that I will most likely be a reapplicant next cycle (especially because no word from my state schools) and I was wondering what my options are? I'm not sure if it makes sense to do a SMP program or perhaps I should do a 1-year masters? I have a 3.9 and 515 MCAT and don't think a post-bac or SMP would make sense. Would it be better to start picking up more service activities for the next semester and to get in more hospital volunteering hours rather than continuing education programs?

Members don't see this ad.

You have 3 II including one at Harvard. I really wouldn’t worry about it. Any advice I would give is to volunteer at clinical settings and those less fortunate

Reactions: 2 users
"Interviews three, a doctor you'll be." I hope it holds true in your case. Keep doing what you are doing this year and always be planning for the possibility that you have to take time off and reapply. It would make most sense to plan to be employed in the coming year and to do a bit of community service in your spare time to show that you like to help people. If you have a strong need to stay in school, and you like research, a one-year masters degree in research methods (bench or public health) would not be a bad idea and would provide you with an additional skill set.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"Interviews three, a doctor you'll be." I hope it holds true in your case. Keep doing what you are doing this year and always be planning for the possibility that you have to take time off and reapply. It would make most sense to plan to be employed in the coming year and to do a bit of community service in your spare time to show that you like to help people. If you have a strong need to stay in school, and you like research, a one-year masters degree in research methods (bench or public health) would not be a bad idea and would provide you with an additional skill set.

Thank you for the advice! I am not too familiar with masters programs, however, would you have any idea of when I would need to apply by/would I have to take the GRE? I understand it might be a bit much for me to be panicking even with an interview from Harvard, but with only 3 interviews I'd like to consider other options as well. Would it make sense for me to pick up more community outreach volunteering for the next semester as well (about 2 hours per week)?

I only have 3 interviews so far: Einstein, Harvard, and Miami (submitted all secondaries 8/1-8/20). Which makes me think that I will most likely be a reapplicant next cycle (especially because no word from my state schools) and I was wondering what my options are? I'm not sure if it makes sense to do a SMP program or perhaps I should do a 1-year masters? I have a 3.9 and 515 MCAT and don't think a post-bac or SMP would make sense. Would it be better to start picking up more service activities for the next semester and to get in more hospital volunteering hours rather than continuing education programs?
Read the wise @gonnif 's posts on what med schools say about reapplicants.

One thing for sure: you do NOT need to do an SMP!!!!!

IF you get shut out this cycle:
a) rewrite all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them
b) suspect that you might have a bad LOR
c) fix whatever deficits are in your app. Too little hours volunteering, for example?
d) contact the schools that rejected you (at the end of the cycle) and see if they can offer feedback.

A few thoughts:

1) with interviews at Harvard, Einstein, and Miami, it is highly unlikely the OP has any major deficits in application, including ECs overall, writing of either primary or secondaries, or LOR.
2) having 3 interviews is average for accepted applicants.
3) talk of post bacc or masters borders on wastefully foolish
4) talk of being a reapplicant is quite premature in this case.
5) we have no idea what your school target list or indeed how many schools you applied to
6) nor do we have any idea what your EC array is

So before you panic and before you look for suggestions, tell us the rest of your application

My school list is the typical list advised here on SDN with some reaches:
Tufts School of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Brown University
Harvard
Hofstra University
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Thomas Jefferson University
New York Medical College
Pennsylvania State University
Quinnipiac University (Netter)
University of Connecticut
University of Pittsburgh
University of Vermont
Yale University
University of Rochester
Drexel University
Temple University
University of Buffalo

My EC array includes:
285 hours paid non-medical experience
1000+ research hours (3 posters, no pubs)
93 shadowing hours (internist, anesthesiologist, radiologist)
170 hours working with underserved (elderly, migrant farm workers, building homes for low-income residents)
176 hours volunteering at a hospital, 40 hours working as a medical assistant (216 clinical hours)
150 hours tutoring/mentoring

All activity durations are at least 3 semesters long

There are many MS and MPH programs that can be completed in one year if you have some reason (e.g. loan deferral, visa issues) that leads you to want to stay in school. Dartmouth's MPH and MS are pretty popular and they accept the MCAT in place of the GRE.
Applying

There are others, too but that is one of the oldest and most popular.

In all liklihood, you are going to be fine but if you want to have a plan B in your back pocket, I'd suggest looking into a masters program that would help you build some skills that would be useful once you get admitted to medical school in a subsequent cycle.

Getting a job of some kind is also an option.

Last edited:
You have three interviews to great schools and it's not even thanksgiving. It's hard not to be worried but in your case it's a little premature! Focus on doing well on your interviews, and most of all focus on enjoying yourself during the process!