What to do next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bluedog6620

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am going to be applying in the next cycle and am trying to decide what to do EC wise before my application is due. Here is what I have done so far:

Clinical Employed/Non-employed (3,000+)
EMT for around 2 years (3000-3500 hours)
Hospital lab for 4 months (215 hours)
Shadowing 400 hours (385 in an ER with the same physician over 2+ years and 15 hours with a plastic surgeon).

Volunteering 200 hours total
Homeless shelter (50 hours)
People in recovery (50 hours)
Animal shelter fundraising (40 hours)

What I am doing now:
Full time research assistant (no pubs 2,000+ hours by May) <- Going to quit this job in May as I don't enjoy it
Teach children on Sundays at a Unitarian Universalist (UU) Church (300 hours)
Volunteering at the University Greenhouse (60 hours)

My current ideas for improving ECs:
I am going to volunteer helping immigrants learn English for 2 hours per/week and maybe an additional 2 hours/week at a local food pantry or homeless shelter.

Plan in May:
1) Multiple part times jobs including working at my current lab, teaching EMT classes at a local community college, working part time at the UU church, and working as a ER tech.
2) A different full time research position (not sure about this option as I really haven't enjoyed my current research position)
3) Something else I am not thinking about

With all of these plans I hope to continue my volunteering hours and tutor with the local "I Have a Dream Foundation"

Let me know your suggestions

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I am going to be applying in the next cycle and am trying to decide what to do EC wise before my application is due. Here is what I have done so far:

Clinical Employed/Non-employed (3,000+)
EMT for around 2 years (3000-3500 hours)
Hospital lab for 4 months (215 hours)
Shadowing 400 hours (385 in an ER with the same physician over 2+ years and 15 hours with a plastic surgeon).

Volunteering 200 hours total
Homeless shelter (50 hours)
People in recovery (50 hours)
Animal shelter fundraising (40 hours)

What I am doing now:
Full time research assistant (no pubs 2,000+ hours by May) <- Going to quit this job in May as I don't enjoy it
Teach children on Sundays at a Unitarian Universalist (UU) Church (300 hours)
Volunteering at the University Greenhouse (60 hours)

My current ideas for improving ECs:
I am going to volunteer helping immigrants learn English for 2 hours per/week and maybe an additional 2 hours/week at a local food pantry or homeless shelter.

Plan in May:
1) Multiple part times jobs including working at my current lab, teaching EMT classes at a local community college, working part time at the UU church, and working as a ER tech.
2) A different full time research position (not sure about this option as I really haven't enjoyed my current research position)
3) Something else I am not thinking about

With all of these plans I hope to continue my volunteering hours and tutor with the local "I Have a Dream Foundation"

Let me know your suggestions
Peer leadership?
Adding some office-based (longitudinal care) primary care shadowing would be good to see, too.
Your stated plan for improving your nonmedical community volunteering to add services to those in need look good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stop research, engage in more service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Do NOT shadow anymore!
Is it detrimental to have more shadowing hours or just not beneficial. I ask because I find shadowing very motivating and will likely continue shadowing around twice a month. If it is looked upon negatively should I simply omit the additional hours I accrue from my application?

Peer leadership?
Adding some office-based (longitudinal care) primary care shadowing would be good to see, too.
Your stated plan for improving your nonmedical community volunteering to add services to those in need look good.
Is teaching other EMT peer leadership? Also a large portion of my time as a research assistant is spent mentoring undergraduates. Is this peer leadership or not really since I am staff and they are volunteers ?

Is teaching other EMT peer leadership? Also a large portion of my time as a research assistant is spent mentoring undergraduates. Is this peer leadership or not really since I am staff and they are volunteers ?
Either could potentially be an example of Teaching or of peer Leadership (the latter, especially if you were responsible for their training and later, their performance on the job), depending on your role and how you describe it.

Is it detrimental to have more shadowing hours or just not beneficial. I ask because I find shadowing very motivating and will likely continue shadowing around twice a month. If it is looked upon negatively should I simply omit the additional hours I accrue from my application?
Shadowing is a passive process that only benefits you. Your goal should be showing off your altruism and that you know what you're getting into.

Reactions: 2 users