what to do summer after OMS1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuemd6

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all,

I am a current OMS 1 and am hoping to either do research or an externship to beef up my CV for residencies.
My school doesn't offer any research and the funded programs look very competitive. Is it easier to reach out to specific physicians and faculties at hospitals or schools? Also what is an externship and how do I go about finding one?

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Go on vacation or pursue a hobby, it’s your last truly free summer

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on what your goals are I would disagree with the above advice. If you want something competitive you need to do research the summer after M1.

The best way to do that is to reach out to the nearest residency programs near you and see if they have any projects that you can help with.

Reactions: 2 users
Depending on what your goals are I would disagree with the above advice. If you want something competitive you need to do research the summer after M1.

The best way to do that is to reach out to the nearest residency programs near you and see if they have any projects that you can help with.
ohhh okay. I'm interested in emergency medicine. I've been told it's not entirely competitive?

ohhh okay. I'm interested in emergency medicine. I've been told it's not entirely competitive?
EM isnt the lowst competitive or highest its around the middle. And research isnt that important when applying EM. Step 230+ and solid SLOEs should be the focus unless you want top tier programs then you probably need a higher Step score

Reactions: 3 users
Bumping this thread bc I'm a lowly oms1 trying to find opportunities this summer. I'm near quite a few residencies in the city I'm at but they are also attached to MD schools. Who would you suggest to email directly at these programs to find research? I just updated my resume yesterday and want to get the ball rolling on reaching out to people but also don't want to look dumb by asking the wrong person

I should also mention I'm interested in rads or fellowship after IM if that matters

Bumping this thread bc I'm a lowly oms1 trying to find opportunities this summer. I'm near quite a few residencies in the city I'm at but they are also attached to MD schools. Who would you suggest to email directly at these programs to find research? I just updated my resume yesterday and want to get the ball rolling on reaching out to people but also don't want to look dumb by asking the wrong person

I should also mention I'm interested in rads or fellowship after IM if that matters
Yes do research. With Step going P/F youll greatly benefit from publications as a DO student. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Yes do research. With Step going P/F youll greatly benefit from publications as a DO student. Good luck!
Sorry, let me clarify. I know research is needed, my question is more of who do I contact? Like a residency PD? The residents? I guess, who would be more willing to work with a student that doesn't attend their own med schools in the case of university residencies nearby. There's also community programs around as well

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, let me clarify. I know research is needed, my question is more of who do I contact? Like a residency PD? The residents? I guess, who would be more willing to work with a student that doesn't attend their own med schools in the case of university residencies nearby. There's also community programs around as well
research coordinators at academic places! Also fellows and residents are good but start with the research coordinator

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Try your best to get research at a hospital/high volume patient load. Did a lot of bare minimum clinical (healthy test subjects) for a research project that felt more like bench research. Felt so bored during the summer and ended up being super light on hours (15 hours a week at most). Got a few posters out of it but it was very disinteresting.

Agreed with others, depends on the specialty you're aiming for. At the time, I was aiming for PM&R (which is the one I chose for residency)I was jealous of some of the projects of people I know. Sounded way cooler and were legitimate 40+ hour research weeks (personally wanted to do MSK radiology but gave up on that since I was well below average as a student in OMS1 and later on in OMS2, had below average boards). If I did better during OMS1, I likely would have networked hard to get some radiology project at a local hospital who took DO students.
Not sure if you're referring to me or OP but I did just send emails to the residency coordinators of two rads program nearby. Haven't heard anything back yet. I may also send some to the internal med programs too