What to do when library is closed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreaming

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
During weekends the libraries close early, so where do you guys go to study when they close?

Members don't see this ad.

I hate the library. I can probably count the number of times I studied there during my four years of college on one hand, maaaaaybe two. Home is the best. If your school has study rooms, you could also try those.

Members don't see this ad :)
Or random unlocked classrooms... those are fun!

But don't you get distracted when you study at home?
how do you focus?

Dreaming said:
how do you focus?

I study majority of the time at home. I live by the adage "distraction enforces concentration" so, I have no problems. But seriously, I usually study in the wee hours of the morning when 'nary a creature is stirring so, there's no noise problem.

Dreaming said:
During weekends the libraries close early, so where do you guys go to study when they close?

My room or the lounge of the dorm if there's other people with me. I'd like to be able to use the study lounge at the end of my hall in the dorm, but it's freezing and studying there would be counterproductive.

I generally study at home....hardly ever at the library (too cold, and too many distractions---other people!) When I get together to study with other people (also rarely, since it takes longer) or when I was taking organic, I used unlocked classrooms. The good thing about classrooms is that the white board can come in useful when studying something that requires processes to be written out; also, classrooms never 'close'...I have been there until midnight and not been kicked out.

Barnes & Nobles or Borders - but they close at 10 PM, right? A good option if your campus is near one of these large bookstores.

What do you mean by early? 10 PM? Are you on campus? During final exam season (now), my school's library is open 24 hours.

Find a not hardcore library. At UW we have college library which has different areas based on sound allowance, there is silent study which are little cubicle desks, quite study which are big tables and squishy chairs, and then group study which is really loud. Being in a room with other people forces me to not screw around, and when I need a break I order food, go in the hallway to talk on the phone, or get a cookie from the coffee shop.

I would scope out the libraries on campus, you may find a secret gem of a place to study, which is perfect for your needs.

Dreaming said:
how do you focus?
Honestly, I work better with distractions. While this isn't the case for all classes, I typically study with music on. So distractions aren't really an issue.

And speaking of which, I heard of a study once where introverted people are more bothered by background noises so they need a completely quiet environment in which to study, whereas extroverts actually need some background noise to be able to focus. Interesting...

Risa said:
Or random unlocked classrooms... those are fun!

This, my friend, is exactly WHAT I DO!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a really nice College of Education building right next to our library. They are generally open on Saturdays due to the Saturday classes for teachers returning to get higher level classes, or other events. All the classrooms are also really nice and have internet connections and wireless internet in them as well. They also have nice white boards and comfy chairs with huge tables where you could spread your stuff around rather then having to sit in a small desk.

So I like to go there and study.

MrBurns10 said:
Honestly, I work better with distractions. While this isn't the case for all classes, I typically study with music on. So distractions aren't really an issue.

And speaking of which, I heard of a study once where introverted people are more bothered by background noises so they need a completely quiet environment in which to study, whereas extroverts actually need some background noise to be able to focus. Interesting...

I can believe that. That has been the case with most people I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
MrBurns10 said:

I'm an introextrovert, kinda switch off. I love listening to music, but it has to either have no words or lyrics of a different language so that I can't understand it. Many times I get into this rhythm, and the music is my pulse.

justskipee said:
I'm an introextrovert, kinda switch off. I love listening to music, but it has to either have no words or lyrics of a different language so that I can't understand it. Many times I get into this rhythm, and the music is my pulse.

hahaha :laugh:

BTW, I love your username. Its cute. :p

Oh and to answer the OP:

As I stated a few posts above this one, I study in the education building. Or other times I study at Barnes and Noble. I too switch on and off. Depending on what I'm doing. If I am doing something like studying for a science class, a little bit of noise in the background helps me stay away while I take notes. Same with writing assignments.

However, if I'm reading a novel or something for a literature class or something of that nature, then I need pure silence.

Weekends are not for studying but for playtime!

justskipee said:

I'm weird, I also like the distraction thing, but not too much. Usually I'll throw on a movie that I've seen a bunch of times, so that I'm kind of desensitized to it...and I find that it lets me pace myself because, without staring at the clock, I can get a general idea of how long I have been studying by what part of the movie is playing. Its the same when I write papers. I think it also helps me focus, because there are some classes that I just couldn't sit in a silent room and study for more than a couple hours without falling asleep. :D

I have a rule: no studying/schoolwork after 7pm on Fridays and Saturdays! Go have fun! School is for weeknights!

justskipee said:

Your avatar is quite hilarious. I've been just sitting here staring at it.
:laugh: :laugh:

you guys study??
-mota

shantster said:
Your avatar is quite hilarious. I've been just sitting here staring at it.
:laugh: :laugh:

yay! I love milk, i drink it as much as water. Skim, 1%, 2% and sometimes if I feel naughty, whole milk. If you could here the milk guy, he'd be singing:

chorus:
Don't give me no tea, no tea
Just give me that milk,
Moo, moo, moo, moo, moo
Wisconsin Milk,
Moo, moo, moo, moo, moo

Give me a long M (Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm)
Give me a short M (Mm)

Give me a long I (Iiiiiiiiiiii)
Give me a short I (Ii)

Give me a long L (Llllllllll)
Give me a short L (Lll)

Give me a long K (Kkkkkkkkkkkkk)
Give me a short K (Kk)

Give me a long Milk (Chocolateeeeeeee)
Give me a short Milk (Skimmmmmmmm)

Are there any picture or videos on the net of med students studying? I find stuff like that inspiring/motivating.

Dreaming said:

tim hortons!!!

altho it gets mighty painful when you're there at an ungodly hour, and they start baking the donuts and such for the morning rush, which they will NOT let you buy b4 like 6 am. they are mean, mean people...

Dreaming said:
Are there any picture or videos on the net of med students studying? I find stuff like that inspiring/motivating.

this is the weirdest post i have ever seen.
-mota

Dreaming said:

Do they have to be med students? Is there something special about the way they study? :laugh:

right now i'm in the psych building and i think i may be the only person in this whole building.......all the doors were locked but i found one that wasn't! ha! ha!

Dreaming said:

Not much different then anyone else studying. Sounds like a nerd to me!!!!!

Oh and there's a much easier way to watch that one, its called find a medical library or go where med students hang out.

But let me warn ya, there isn't much to see. They live, breathe, talk, etc as they did as undergrads. The only difference is they study much harder and much more. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dreaming said:

omg, this post is hilarious! are u serious dude??

but for ur question, study at starbucks if u like ambient noise.

Dreaming said:

It's a sign. Live a little.

It's just that in the few rare instances that I have seen a med student or a perfect gpa student study, they seem so much more focused than other people.

Dreaming said:
I have them and I'm keeping them all for myself. I'm willing to sell them to you. Hit me up on Craigslist for the pics and NSA sex.

Dreaming said:
It's just that in the few rare instances that I have seen a med student or a perfect gpa student study, they seem so much more focused than other people.

we look focused, but we can sleep with our eyes open!!!!

justskipee said:
yay! I love milk, i drink it as much as water. Skim, 1%, 2% and sometimes if I feel naughty, whole milk. If you could here the milk guy, he'd be singing:

chorus:
Don't give me no tea, no tea
Just give me that milk,
Moo, moo, moo, moo, moo
Wisconsin Milk,
Moo, moo, moo, moo, moo

Give me a long M (Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm)
Give me a short M (Mm)

Give me a long I (Iiiiiiiiiiii)
Give me a short I (Ii)

Give me a long L (Llllllllll)
Give me a short L (Lll)

Give me a long K (Kkkkkkkkkkkkk)
Give me a short K (Kk)

Give me a long Milk (Chocolateeeeeeee)
Give me a short Milk (Skimmmmmmmm)

Yummy... Wisconsin milk :) Though I'm strictly a skim milk drinker. When I was little, I couldn't take formula (I always threw it up) and so the doctor told my mom to give me skim milk so now I can't drink anything other than it.

Nikki2002 said:
right now i'm in the psych building and i think i may be the only person in this whole building.......all the doors were locked but i found one that wasn't! ha! ha!

That would freak me out. I'd be jumping at every noise, thinking that someone else found that door and followed me in. :scared:

shantster said:
That would freak me out. I'd be jumping at every noise, thinking that someone else found that door and followed me in. :scared:

well......the building is gigantic.....and i'm in my research lab behind a locked door so the crazies can't get me!!

Nikki2002 said:
well......the building is gigantic.....and i'm in my research lab behind a locked door so the crazies can't get me!!

That's good! :)

StudentStudying.jpg

Don't make a mess.

BrettBatchelor said:
Nice. Except she looks to fresh to have actually been studying.

No shes just got crazy doctor skills, mad skills.

rush2 said:
tim hortons!!!

altho it gets mighty painful when you're there at an ungodly hour, and they start baking the donuts and such for the morning rush, which they will NOT let you buy b4 like 6 am. they are mean, mean people...

Dreaming said:

there is a picture of them partying

madonna said:
there is a picture of them partying

There are several pictures of them partying. Just go to any individual med school website, go to their student affairs section, and then go to their class pages. :laugh: :laugh:

I was looking at a few to see pics of friends of mine.