Jul 31, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
So I really dont know what to do with myself. I graduated last Dec. with a Bachelors..I've applied to vet schools twice. Although I don't think the first time counted since I would have had to take 12 credits that summer to have my Bachelors before entering vet school...I know a Bachelors isnt required..just trying to make myself feel better ;) So really, I've been bored... I've re-taken 4 science courses Gen Bio I, II and Gen Chem I, II during my "free time"...earning all A's...those were either C's or low B's from freshman year. Since the applic fees are crazy, I dont think I can afford to re-take Organic I.which I got a C- in..yikes..some schools that accept a large # of OOS have a grade cut off of C..anything lower=automatic rejection..ugh..so now I dont know what to do with my life! For those of you who havent gotten into school what have you been doing? If I had the money I would instead spend fall semester riding elephants in Africa!! I don't think I'd feel right if I werent going to school in August...Im in a re-taking classes frenzy.Sometimes I wonder if I'm into self torture?!..Maybe Im just trying to avoid falling into the 40 hr, 9-5 work week...ugh..I keep getting asked, "Omg, you already have your Bachelor's, why are you working here? Shouldn't you get a REAL job. I mean, one that pays well?" Im just so tired of waiting around to be accepted. This is the third time I am applying...Then the waiting begins and rejection pours in...any advice on what I can do to be productive? I've developed an interest in wildlife so perhaps I need to diversify my experience...new change of scenery? Been working at current animal hospital for 1 yr now...just a small animal hospital..hmm what to do?
*By the way, I'm not a newbie here ;) -Just thought I'd add that
*New application cycle=fresh start=New screen name

natalieises

Illinois CVM 2014
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2009
Status
I feel your pain...seriously our lives right now are similar! I graduated LAST may...so I've been doing the job thing for over a year now. I've just been trying to continue in the field I'm interested in so at least I'm adding to my experience if nothing else. I would just suggest to keep doing what you are doing IF you are enjoying it. If not, a change of scenery is always a plus. I just recently tried that approach, quit my job, moved, and started an UNPAID internship at a zoo. So I understand what you mean when people are saying "shouldn't you get a real job?" I am even lower than that right now! lol As long as you are ok with where you are at (minus the fact that you aren't in vet school yet) you should not feel bad about those kinds of comments. I'm on to round 3 as well, so I will be crossing my fingers for both of our sanity.

twelvetigers

stabby cat
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
TTown
Status
Veterinarian
I think getting that C- up to something C or above should be a priority because it will allow you to apply more places. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about more schoolwork unless you were interested in am aster's or taking some advanced courses (not retaking pre-reqs, I mean). Is your GRE score good? That can be an 'easy' fix. Do you have a variety of animal/vet experience? The SA stuff is great... what about LA? Zoo? Wildlife rescue? Research? You don't need ALL of these things, but some expansion could help.

Don't give up, just pay attention to what your weak points are and do the best you can to strengthen them.

sumstorm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
If you really want to travel to Africa or other countries, consider peace corp. it means a 2-3 year hiatus, but gives you some reduction in current student loans, some amazing experience, and an interesting story for a lifetime

No Imagination

I
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2008
Status
Veterinarian
Twelve is right about retaking C's, but at the same time, it seems like you've retaken a lot of them already - I understand that you might be a bit burned out right now.

Sum has another good point - do some travelling.

When i was an undergrad I spent 3 months backpacking across S. America, collecting and studying POISON DART FROGS... Its a long story, but research doesn't have to be "official" - Find something you really enjoy, for me it was herps in S. America, sign up for 4 hours Independent Study under a prof., then get some cash together and go some where and enjoy yourself.

MSU asked a lot about the research I did in S. America, asked about my experiences, what I learned. They didn't ask or care if a publication came out of it (one did not), but they were excited that i've spent time abroad.

Now, its true, being well traveled isn't going to help you if you have a weak application, but it can be what separates you from everyone else.

I don't know what kind of person you are, I don't know if you are a guy or girl (not to appear sexist, but what I am about to say is sexist), if your a girl, perhaps backpacking alone across S. America/Africa isn't the smartest idea (not 100% safe if you are a 6'2" buff guy either)...

But if you have that adventurous spirit, might as well deal with it before you enter vet school and at the same time, perhaps increase your chances.

VeganChick

Tufts University V'13
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2008
Central MA
Status
Veterinary Student
Maybe Im just trying to avoid falling into the 40 hr, 9-5 work week...ugh..I keep getting asked, "Omg, you already have your Bachelor's, why are you working here? Shouldn't you get a REAL job. I mean, one that pays well?"
I'm sorry, but this kind of irked me. I left a GREAT paying corporate job to work for peanuts at an emergency vet clinic so that I could get experience. I have a master's degree from the university that is, frankly, the most highly respected school in the country for the field that I was in. I was never once asked about "getting a real job", and if I was, my answer was so that I could get experience that I did not have. Why are you worried about what others think? Is it really that you would think less of yourself for doing such? Because I say, get over it. I LOVED my job in the clinic...the people who worked there are the best people I have ever met in my life (and I am 39, so have been in the workplace for quite a while), and the things I learned were amazing. I was humbled to be in my coworkers' presence. It is going to be hard to be a good vet if you think less of the folks with whom you work in a vet clinic because they don't have the "right" degree.

I'm sorry if I read that all wrong, but that is the impression I got from the OP.

jpeterman13

ISU CVM c/o 2014!!
Jun 20, 2009
Ames, IA
Status
Veterinary Student
I definitely didn't read it like that ^. I sympathize with the OP, esp. being a 3rd time applicant, I'd get frustrated too. For me, I find it hard to get a good job (a job that you can pay the bills with I mean) while applying to vet schools. Because, unless you lie, they know that there is a chance that you'll be leaving soon (no matter how improbable it may be for people like me). I didn't get the impression that the OP thinks less of his/her coworkers. I get asked that question too, all the time actually, and it does get annoying telling the same story 1000 times. When I go to the vet clinic, the fact that I have a bachelors is essentially useless because it doesn't apply to ANYTHING that happens...which is frustrating to me. Gotta keep the eye on the prize though I suppose :thumbup:.

sumstorm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
I don't know what kind of person you are, I don't know if you are a guy or girl (not to appear sexist, but what I am about to say is sexist), if your a girl, perhaps backpacking alone across S. America/Africa isn't the smartest idea (not 100% safe if you are a 6'2" buff guy either)...

But if you have that adventurous spirit, might as well deal with it before you enter vet school and at the same time, perhaps increase your chances.
LOL. I was 5'4" and <120lbs when I traveled. dark haired, blue eyed (apparently desirable characteristics in parts of asia.) I traveled solo the entire time, but you do have to use your brains and consider the culture you are in. I saw two american men beat severly for disrespecting a woman in one place...and I saw women man handled because their attire was pretty revealing in a country where neither men nor women revealed much skin.

I agree...if you have wanderlust, embrace it now. It hasn't ever gone away for me, but regular fixes help. Also, research in whatever fascinates you, even unstructured, can reveal a lot about who you are for an adcom...while solo travel may teach you a lot about yourself. TJ Watson (founder IBM) was known to have expressed a similar sentiment: 4 years in college and 4 years of combat military service didn't teach him as much as a single year of introspective investigation of a fascinating topic while traveling abroad.