what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anb111

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so here's my deal: i'm a senior, have a 3.1 overall/2.9 science gpa (my major is biotechnology so some of the classes can be rough), haven't taken the mcat, and have two more semesters before graduation (that is, i'll graduate in dec '07). my ECs show that i am well-rounded. i have an emphasis on leadership attributes. as with many other students on this board, i share the coveted dream of becoming a DO.

my current plan is to prep this upcoming spring semester for the mcat and take it in july or august. i would like to still send in my primary apps in june. the general consensus seems to be to take the mcat months prior to applying. by taking the mcat after i apply, am i doing myself a disservice? with the stats i currently have, is applying even worth it? i've known i've wanted to become a doctor since i was 13 (i'm 21 now), and i really can't imagine myself having a career as anything but a doctor, so reconsidering my career options isn't going to happen. after graduation, i plan on working and/or taking more master's level courses, but other than that, i'm not sure what i'll do. i hope to get in for the fall '08 semester, but as time goes on, my hope to start med school by then seems to be quickly diminishing.

Members don't see this ad.

haha, thanks, but i'll pass :laugh: not quite what i was looking for, but i guess it definitely is an option. "best" is overdoing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, thanks, but i'll pass :laugh: not quite what i was looking for, but i guess it definitely is an option. "best" is overdoing it.
At least it made you laugh, which is what I was going for......you sounded like you were having a rough time, so I figured, what the heck :laugh:

thanks, good times and jokes sure are welcome. :thumbup: sometimes this whole med school thing can be a little bit overwhelming.

thanks, good times and jokes sure are welcome. :thumbup: sometimes this whole med school thing can be a little bit overwhelming.
Yeah, it doesn't help when you deal with so many people who take themselves way too seriously.....by the way, contrary to popular opinion on here, that's just as much of a problem in the pre-osteo crowd (mainly because of one or two diehards) as it is in the pre-allopathic forums....... keep your head up and you'll do fine. :)

I was in similar situation as you, but worse....you still have 2 semesters, try to put that science gpa over 3.0. MCAT, anything under 25 I would retake. You have a good shot IMO. I'd go for masters if first cycle doesn't get you in, so make sure you apply a few back up grad schools...

I was in similar situation as you, but worse....you still have 2 semesters, try to put that science gpa over 3.0. MCAT, anything under 25 I would retake. You have a good shot IMO. I'd go for masters if first cycle doesn't get you in, so make sure you apply a few back up grad schools...

I second that.

you sound like you are in a similar situation as I was when I was in college. Here's the good news, it is possible to get in DO school with your GPA, although you have one more year to bring it up which I highly encourage you to try your best to get all A's and B's. If I were you I would hold off taking the MCAT until August. That way you have the whole SUMMER to prep for it, your MCAT studying won't get in the way of regular school work and vice versa. But you can always try and take a practice test that is offered free at some schools. If you can get a 24 or 26 without studying, you may only need a little more work to get that 30 which is still pretty golden for DO schools (though not for MD's but who cares right? :) ). If you think you can keep your grades above say, a 3.5 for the spring semester while studying for the MCAT then go for it, but if you want to be a little safer then I would put off all MCAT studying until the summer. Contrary to popular belief, I think the MCAT tests a lot more on your test-taking skills and reasoning abilities than pure biology or chemistry knowledge so even those who may have aced those classes in collge can still get low scores on the MCAT. In other words, studying for the MCAT is not very similar to studying for college exams from my experience so doing both at once will take up lots of your free time.

At the end if you don't end up with the GPA you wanted, there are always 1 year post-bacc programs in upper level science courses that you can enroll in to boost your GPA. Unlike most Master's programs, it is only one year and you only get a "certificate" which is pretty worthless HOWEVER, a Master's in BIO is pretty worthless as well if you are going into med school anyways (a MPH is a different story though).

There are plenty of options for you and your dreams are not diminishing at all from what I see. You are a senior now and if you are truly intent on going into med-school, spend a little more time on the books and a little less time for social events. Best of luck!

i've known i've wanted to become a doctor since i was 13 (i'm 21 now), and i really can't imagine myself having a career as anything but a doctor.

You're still young. In fact, your still several years below the average age of med school matriculants, so you have plenty of time to improve your application. The things you have already been told are good. A great MCAT can very often offset subpar GPA, so work very hard on that. Plus, there are quite a few postbacc programs that have really excellent success at placing their students in med school. I know a couple in my class with worse GPAs (and not even really good MCATs) who are in med school because of the postbacc program. You have a lot of years left, and also many optins to pursue. Take your time, relax, and enjoy life while you still can :)

If you can get a 24 or 26 without studying, you may only need a little more work to get that 30 which is still pretty golden for DO schools (though not for MD's but who cares right? :) ).

Contrary to popular belief, MD schools like a 30 MCAT just as well. I have a friend who has a 26 MCAT and is applying MD only and he is getting tons of interviews.

you're all encouraging- i appreciate that. if i were to take the mcat for the first time in august, would that mean i wouldn't be able to apply in june or would i still be able to apply to schools on a rolling basis?

and what kind of post-bac programs are out there? i'm not familiar with any. i'm going to search on google right now, but if any of you have any recommendations, that'd be great.

thanks for all of your replies!

you're all encouraging- i appreciate that. if i were to take the mcat for the first time in august, would that mean i wouldn't be able to apply in june or would i still be able to apply to schools on a rolling basis?

and what kind of post-bac programs are out there? i'm not familiar with any. i'm going to search on google right now, but if any of you have any recommendations, that'd be great.

thanks for all of your replies!

I don't know about MCAT schedules since they went electronic because I have had no need to keep up with that. However, if you take it in August, then you should definitely apply in June if you are wanting in on that year's application cycle. I don't know how this affects early decision, though.