What to do...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fakebun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Here is my background info:

Ugrad: CC -> UCLA

oGPA: 2.82
sGPA: 2.6
BCP: 2.54

DAT 1st attempt: 18AA, 19TS, 21 PAT, blah blah
DAT 2nd attempt: 20AA, 20TS, 17 PAT, 21 RC, 21 QR, 19 bio, 19 gchem, 21 ochem

Volunteer: UCLA dental Center, shadowed clinic supervisor at UCLA dental Center, shadowed the Chair of restorative dentistry at UCLA dental center, and shadowed a practicing dentist near my home.

I have applied two times and got rejected completely. 2009-2010 I went to San Diego State to do an informal post-bac, but I have only retaken the pre-reqs that I did bad in UCLA. Those were my Biology I and ochem 1&2. My counselor at SDSU told me to retake the pre-reqs and I did, but it didn't help my GPA much. I feel like I wasted a year only taking 3 classes total.

Question: It's been 2 years since my graduation and I have applied 2 times. I am completely burnt out by the undergrad coursework and environment. I simply can't take undergrad anymore. Is there any way for me to up my chances of being accepted without going to undergrad again (open university)? I want to look into formal post-bacs but my GPA won't even allow me to be accepted into formal postbacs. Is it really ugrad again or byebye dental school? Does obtaining a degree in dental hygiene help?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure you're already aware, but that GPA is very low. It has to come up, or you have to take enough higher-level courses getting much higher marks to show the schools an improvement. I'm curious as to why you only took 3 classes in an entire year...Even if you aced them all, basic math would show that it wouldn't touch your overall GPA. Not to mention, getting 4.0 when only taking 3 classes is almost expected at such a light courseload...it doesn't show schools you can handle the overloaded schedule of dental school at all.

If undergrad really has been this much of a struggle for you, maybe you should reconsider dental school. You have to be realistic. Dental school is a lot more difficult and hectic than undergrad, especially UCLA undergrad. Don't worry about trying to show dental schools you can handle academic rigor; first, you have to prove it to yourself. Be true to yourself. If you can't overcome your adversity with academic challenges, you have plenty of other career options besides dentistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya I understand. I don't mean I'm sick of undergrad because the class is too hard, but mentally I think studying hard for undergrad is such a waste of time when I could study just as hard for dental school. Right now I'm applying to the UCSF/SFSU post bac but I doubt I will get in. If not, Cal state fullerton and UCI is closest to my house and since both of those schools don't have a formal post-bac program, should I just talk to one of their counselors and find out what classes I need to take?

If I was in your place right now, and I REALY REALLY REALLY wanted dentistry I would stop applying for 3-4 years. I would either go back to school and get a 2nd bachelors degree in something science based (biology, chemistry, whatever) or a biology-based masters... Althought I can't be certain about which route I would take, but off the top of my head, I would do the 2nd bachelors and 4.0 EVERY class

After all this is done, take the DAT for a 3rd time (becuase I would imagine your 2nd attempt would be expired) and hope for the best

Ya I understand. I don't mean I'm sick of undergrad because the class is too hard, but mentally I think studying hard for undergrad is such a waste of time when I could study just as hard for dental school. Right now I'm applying to the UCSF/SFSU post bac but I doubt I will get in. If not, Cal state fullerton and UCI is closest to my house and since both of those schools don't have a formal post-bac program, should I just talk to one of their counselors and find out what classes I need to take?

I underestand what you mean, but you haven't shown them (or yourself) that your newly found work ethic is going to carry over into dental school....

I see, would a year of full time student status (3-4 classes per semester) be enough to show the upward trend? Or does it really have to be 2 years

Just curious, did you attend any of the lectures in undergrad?
To be honest, some of the classes will be an easy B if you just attend, take notes and read them for the test and it can be turned to an A f you just read a bit of text book.
You need to stop looking at your rejection from your stand and look at it from school perspective. They are afraid that you are going to fail the first or second semester into D-school and they will lose money and fund.

The DAT is good enough for interview and it is up to you to impress them at interview to gain acceptance. What I basically would do is the following (Assuming you want to be full-time student):

Start taking classes in spring semester (starts in May?) and start taking biology (upper level), Ochem (if you did not do well) and other science courses that would count toward sGPA. Although you already have about 90credits from undergraduate and won't improve the GPA dramatically, however, if you are full time student taking 9-10 credits for spring and summer semester, 15 - 18 credits for fall and winter smester, I am sure you can bring your GPA above 3.0 for all category (I am nto sure how many science or non-science courses you have taken). But make sure to get A's for all classes to do this. This will show them you can handle the course load and you really want to go into dentistry.

Plus: continue doing volunteering and shadowing. If you have already done shadowing for people at Unviersity dentistry then ask the professors to see if they are doing any research. I believe research will help beef up your application.

Well it is just my two cent, I hope everything goes well for you. Good luck.

Thanks for the input.

Is there any difference in taking classes at an UC or cal state? If not, wouldn't cal state be easier in general than UC?

So pretty much I just need a list of science classes that is bio, chem, or biochem related that will count towards my sGPA and just be full time status for a year and that should raise my GPA a bit right?

I know you have already re-taken your classes, but maybe if you retake your sciences at a smaller university. many larger universities expect large classes to be graded on bell curve. when you're competing with very bright students, it hard to do well in the classes.

da*n I dont think any open university students are eligible for financial aid and grants....that's a lot of tuition even at a state school...

I think you should apply for a special masters program and establish a graduate GPA. A 1-2 year program that's heavy in the sciences (e.g. Masters in Biomedical Sciences). There are programs out there with minimum overall GPA requirement of 2.75 that take DAT scores.

I think you should apply for a special masters program and establish a graduate GPA. A 1-2 year program that's heavy in the sciences (e.g. Masters in Biomedical Sciences). There are programs out there with minimum overall GPA requirement of 2.75 that take DAT scores.

I agree, even if you don't get in to dental school at least you got a master's degree for your money. That won't happen with more undergrad courses. Umdnj's master's likes dat scores a lot so it's worth an application there.

Ya I just applied to UMDNJ's master program and currently working on the apps for SFSU/UCSF's postbac. I have been out of UCLA for two years and I tried, but failed, to keep in touch with the professors. Thus it will be really hard in getting new letter of recs just for the master programs.

Sucks to be me

I went and got a M.S. in Chemistry and then applied to the Baylor Post-Bacc program and got in with a similar academic background as you. It can be done, you just need to be willing to put in the time.

Ya I just applied to UMDNJ's master program and currently working on the apps for SFSU/UCSF's postbac. I have been out of UCLA for two years and I tried, but failed, to keep in touch with the professors. Thus it will be really hard in getting new letter of recs just for the master programs.

Sucks to be me