What to do?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got a dream job (the best kind of job in the field that you can get for what I have been doing for the past 5 years). But I can't tell them that I will be going to medical school next fall since this is the kind of place where people try desperately to get in and when they are in , nobody ever leaves. If I tell them, they probably won't hire me on full time (currently hired as on call only but still amazing to be working there). I feel awful about it. I do need this job to carry me over till my financial aid comes out for med school.

Any thoughts or advice? There is just no way I can be honest with them without loosing the job because this job requires you to build clients and etc....

I feel just awful. I would have been amazed that I was able to get this job, but more amazing thing happened this year (getting into med school) so....

Oh, there is a way I can work part time if I get into a local school. Its a job I love, feel relaxed, big big bucks, and the place where I will be working treats their employee like princes and princesses and their clients like emperors

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently got a dream job (the best kind of job in the field that you can get for what I have been doing for the past 5 years). But I can't tell them that I will be going to medical school next fall since this is the kind of place where people try desperately to get in and when they are in , nobody ever leaves. If I tell them, they probably won't hire me on full time (currently hired as on call only but still amazing to be working there). I feel awful about it. I do need this job to carry me over till my financial aid comes out for med school.

Any thoughts or advice? There is just no way I can be honest with them without loosing the job because this job requires you to build clients and etc....

I feel just awful. I would have been amazed that I was able to get this job, but more amazing thing happened this year (getting into med school) so....

Oh, there is a way I can work part time if I get into a local school. Its a job I love, feel relaxed, big big bucks, and the place where I will be working treats their employee like princes and princesses and their clients like emperors

What are you looking to get out of this thread? You've already made your decision. Do you want SDN to tell you that you're doing the right thing?

If you are already accepted then you should not mention it until 2 weeks before you need to leave the job.

If you havent been accepted to med school yet and are waiting on interviews then you need to tell them, because you will need to coordinate some Mondays or Fridays off as many schools schedule their interviews on these days or on weekends.

That being said, just work as hard as you can so that they wont regret hiring you, and when you leave it will be on good terms even if it is over short notice.

If you are already accepted then you should not mention it until 2 weeks before you need to leave the job.

If you havent been accepted to med school yet and are waiting on interviews then you need to tell them, because you will need to coordinate some Mondays or Fridays off as many schools schedule their interviews on these days or on weekends.

That being said, just work as hard as you can so that they wont regret hiring you, and when you leave it will be on good terms even if it is over short notice.

Maybe I am reading that wrong, but what schools interview on the weekend?

Loyola has interviews on Saturday.. and apparently the Saturday group is significantly bigger than the weekday groups. I interviewed during the week and there were <6 of us there.

I don't know of any other schools that do weekend interviews though.

You read it correctly

I know KYCOM does for sure. So depending on where you live you would need that Friday for travel if your interview was on Saturday.

Loyola has interviews on Saturday.. and apparently the Saturday group is significantly bigger than the weekday groups. I interviewed during the week and there were <6 of us there.

I don't know of any other schools that do weekend interviews though.

You read it correctly

I know KYCOM does for sure. So depending on where you live you would need that Friday for travel if your interview was on Saturday.

This is news to me. Cool.

What are you looking to get out of this thread? You've already made your decision. Do you want SDN to tell you that you're doing the right thing?

lol, being a MedPRick as usual

i just wanted some moral support for being unethical

Last edited:
It isn't unethical. You're looking out for yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait did you defer last year? I thought we are still 2 weeks out from first decisions

well, i have an interview with their human resources tomorrow and what if he asks me about what my future plans are or goals are? leave out the med school part and say that i am really looking forward to keep pursuing _____ field and be the best that i can be? so basically lie?

lol, being a MedPRick as usual

i just wanted some moral support for being unethical

You're not being unethical. You should look up the term so you know how to use it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Wait did you defer last year? I thought we are still 2 weeks out from first decisions

He got into DO, not MD

It isn't unethical. You're looking out for yourself.

Its fine. The standard is 2 weeks notice. The standard is not "shoot yourself in the foot by alienating an employer you need to rely on for several more months". You guys need to get into the real world a little bit

Edit
Crap I misread this one too..... I'm going to bed. Way too much book learnin this week :oops:

Last edited:
well, i have an interview with their human resources tomorrow and what if he asks me about what my future plans are or goals are? leave out the med school part and say that i am really looking forward to keep pursuing _____ field and be the best that i can be? so basically lie?

Yes if you want that job and things are the way you say they are.

You're not being unethical. You should look up the term so you know how to use it.

Hey MedPRICK

Dictionary definition of ethical

1. pertaining to or dealing with morals or the principles of morality; pertaining to right and wrong in conduct.
2.being in accordance with the rules or standards for right conduct or practice, especially the standards of a profession: It was not considered ethical for physicians to advertise.

lying is highly unethical

Hey MedPRICK

1. pertaining to or dealing with morals or the principles of morality; pertaining to right and wrong in conduct.
2.being in accordance with the rules or standards for right conduct or practice, especially the standards of a profession: It was not considered ethical for physicians to advertise.

lying is highly unethical, u sure you are going into med for the right reason?

Lying is unethical under circumstances. Lying about your future plans in order to keep a job so you can pay your bills is not unethical

damn, MedPRICK, how did get over 10k post!!! my gosh, you must have been doing what i have been doing for the past several days for years and years

damn, MedPRICK, how did get over 10k post!!! my gosh, you must have been doing what i have been doing for the past several days for years and years

I've only been on SDN for 11ish months. Not quite "years and years".

I've only been on SDN for 11ish months. Not quite "years and years".

i so wanna be you, but wth, there is no way i can get it over 10k, that'st just insane amount of neuroticism

Hey MedPRICK

lying is highly unethical

Wait.... so you are now arguing that your actions are unethical? Then /thread.... but not telling them is not lying.

Let me remind everyone the TOS encourages kindness and professionalism at all times. Please adhere to the TOS and use the ignore function if necessary.

sorry, went over board, but i was just joking around with his name... whats the ignore function?

sorry, went over board, but i was just joking around with his name... whats the ignore function?

ig&#183;nore
/ign&#244;r/
Verb
Refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally: "he ignored her question".
Fail to consider (something significant): "satellite broadcasting ignores national boundaries".
Synonyms
disregard - neglect - slight

Click the user's name on the left of their post>Click Add to Ignore List at the bottom.

then what happens? their posts don't show up on your thread?

ig·nore
/ignôr/
Verb
Refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally: "he ignored her question".
Fail to consider (something significant): "satellite broadcasting ignores national boundaries".
Synonyms
disregard - neglect - slight

Ignore function = you not clicking and/or responding to any thread you don't care about.

no way

then what happens? their posts don't show up on your thread?

Their name still shows up so you know that they posted, but you won't see the post.

that's not the ignore function, noob :laugh:

Touché! :laugh: I haven't noticed it there. I have never felt compelled to use such a filter for this awesome experience that is SDN.

Are you thinking of staying at this job if you get into your local school? I can't imagine having a part-time job right now. I hope that works for you, though. That's going to be tough.

I think anyone who adds MedPR to their ignore list will see a very empty forum. :laugh:

I think anyone who adds MedPR to their ignore list will see a very empty forum. :laugh:

And a very boring forum.

I kind of wish I hadn't told that one job that my wife had cancer and we'd be out of the state for a month or two. They would have hired me if I hadn't, but I knew that they needed someone right away, and someone consistent. I felt like it would be better to be honest. That's my take on it, but it's a personal decision.