What to Expect from Late March/Early April Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogue42

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two interviews coming up (3/29 and 4/2). It appears that both of these school's classes are already full - one filled around 4 weeks ago, the other around 2 weeks ago. One school sent me the invite AFTER the class was already filled and had dates all the way out to 4/17.

I was just wondering why schools do interview this late/this many people this late. I understand that it is for a waitlist position, but at this point, are they interviewing me because they are genuinely interested in me? Do I have a chance? Or are they interviewing this late / this many people this late in case something crazy happens?

Members don't see this ad.

Not all of the accepted students will end up matriculating. If they send you an II, they're interested. They wouldn't want to waste their time and energy on you

The class may be full today but in the next 3 months accepted students will get accepted elsewhere and decide to go somewhere else so spaces open up every week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still hoping to receive interviews, even in April. I know classes are already filled at this point.

I have two interviews coming up (3/29 and 4/2). It appears that both of these school's classes are already full - one filled around 4 weeks ago, the other around 2 weeks ago. One school sent me the invite AFTER the class was already filled and had dates all the way out to 4/17.

I was just wondering why schools do interview this late/this many people this late. I understand that it is for a waitlist position, but at this point, are they interviewing me because they are genuinely interested in me? Do I have a chance? Or are they interviewing this late / this many people this late in case something crazy happens?
I have to be blunt; Med schools do not give out sympathy acts of sexual intercourse. Your interviews now mean that you either applied late, or were a weak, but still viable candidate. You most likely are interviewing for a spot on the wait list, but people do get accepted off the wait list.

Reactions: 3 users
All school have some waitlist movement. Some schools have a lot of waitlist movement. Your odds are much better interviewing for the waitlist than not interviewing at all.