What to memorize: Kaplan vs. EK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banana5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The EK PS books (GC, Physics) are pretty explicit about what you do and don't need to memorize for the test. The Kaplan book isn't, and a lot of stuff that EK says will be provided for you is lumped together with everything else in the Kaplan books.

Is it safe to go by what EK is saying? I'm talking in terms of memorizing formulas, not so much understanding ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

The EK PS books (GC, Physics) are pretty explicit about what you do and don't need to memorize for the test. The Kaplan book isn't, and a lot of stuff that EK says will be provided for you is lumped together with everything else in the Kaplan books.

Is it safe to go by what EK is saying? I'm talking in terms of memorizing formulas, not so much understanding ideas.

No, EK is full of it. Many, even high scorers, have stated they had passages on stuff EK said to skip. EK is review. If they say skip something, get background on it from another book. Personally, I would go through Kaplan first and then EK for the highlights. This seems to be what most people prefer.

I memorized every formula I was presented with in the Kaplan review. It's not difficult if you start your review early. As I went through the book I jotted down every equation in a small notepad, which I divided into sections such as E&M, kinematics, optics, etc. I went through it daily about 2 weeks prior to the test. I'd rather have memorized too much for the MCAT than too little. I ended up with a 12 in PS. Just my $0.02

No, EK is full of it

Is Kaplan full of it too, though? I've done a fair amount of BS sections and it really seems like Kaplan goes into way too much detail. So when I pick up an EK book and it's telling me not to memorize a certain physics formula, I feel like that might not be the worst idea. No?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I echo the sentiment that EK is only for Review. They do not have enough detail unless you already know enough to get 13s and above on the sciences. I believe using just EK is not enough.

Is Kaplan full of it too, though? I've done a fair amount of BS sections and it really seems like Kaplan goes into way too much detail. So when I pick up an EK book and it's telling me not to memorize a certain physics formula, I feel like that might not be the worst idea. No?

No, I don't understand how people say Kaplan has too much detail. Kaplan is about right. EK is bare necessities, Kaplan standard, TPR science overload, TBR extremely thorough. Finally, you should have the formulas memorized. Many people have complained about EK and the formulas. The MCAT won't give you all the formulas you need. TPR and TBR go overboard for those weak in the sciences, it makes sense when people say too much. However, Kaplan, too much detail? That is a new one to me. If anything, Kaplan's PS section isn't thorough because they simplify the material. Finally, EK isn't god. There aren't that many formulas. In fact, a good way to see if you understand is to derive formulas. Lots of the electromagnetic formulas can be derived from a couple. If you practice this, you'll not only know all the forumulas but gain a greater conceptual knowledge.