What to use to practice sutures ??

My cousin went to the u pitt medical camp when she was in junior high to see if she really enjoy medicine or not . It was very good program from I heard. She also accepted into pitt 8 years bs/md program last year.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to practice sutures and general surgery for upcoming events. I feel like buying a suture pad is unnecessary as it's simply overpriced ($30-$50). What did you use to practice sutures and cutting?

Let me know.
Hey so you sound super eager and I encourage you to carry that enthusiasm forward throughout this very long process. But it is just that - a very long process. You will probably not learn correctly or will pick up bad habits since you will not get to actually practice on patients for another about 5ish years.

but it's good to know these things.
Not really. You have no patients to practice on and won't for a long time. And you won't be impressing any doctors with your skills because A) you haven't been properly trained and B) you cannot do it on any patients.

Yeah it's definitely alot of money for my family too. Would you think it's a good use for it?
I think it would be a better use of your money to put it towards applications or college. Take other peoples' suggestions and volunteer or work to get the medical exposure you need while not losing money. Be a PCA/PCT, CNA, patient sitter, EMT, scribe, shadow, etc. You will have better connections with the docs you work with and will actually see more of how medicine works.

Just to let you know, the Penn Summer Medicine program may not be real. I was also planning on applying to it, but I found out that it wasn’t run by Penn. I tried to research it online but every person who claimed to have attended the program on college confidential was a new member and never posted after that.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm trying to practice sutures and general surgery for upcoming events. I feel like buying a suture pad is unnecessary as it's simply overpriced ($30-$50). What did you use to practice sutures and cutting?

Let me know.

You can check SDN Advertisement forum, and check the free suturing kit