What to Wear to Second Look Days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
What are you expected to wear to second look days? It is a suit like at the interview or more casual?

Members don't see this ad.

I wore jeans I think

I saw many students come to my state school with khakis and collard shirts. I think business casual would be a safe bet.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Only wear a suit if it's Mayo; gotta be a part of the culture you know.

Otherwise, business casual.

Reactions: 1 user
B5E08370-2593-4934-8719-CE1BC4A8E632.jpeg

Reactions: 10 users
Dress shirt and slacks is best IMO. You can wear that anywhere other than a sporting event and you’ll look fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Only wear a suit if it's Mayo; gotta be a part of the culture you know.

Otherwise, business casual.
They are actually requesting professional suit dress on one day lol

Gym clothes. Tell them you are gunning for ortho and only want to see their gym to see if it is adequate for your needs.

Reactions: 21 users
At virtually everywhere and unless you receive specific information to the contrary:

Business casual for everyone. Think khakis or dress pants with shirt or sweater. Tie optional.

If activities with students later in the evening, you can be a bit more casual, but would not go with jeans or sneakers unless you are told that jeans and sneakers are ok.

No heels - you will likely be trekking around a bit and may be standing for long periods of time.

Business casual. Comfortable footwear.

Reactions: 4 users
It might depend on the program, but I went to mine in jeans and a nice shirt. Business casual would have been overdressed. But mine were also on the west coast, so.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am female - I am thinking black pants , fun blouse and a cardigan . Trench coat . Ballet shoes .

Gym clothes. Tell them you are gunning for ortho and only want to see their gym to see if it is adequate for your needs.

Better yet, just pull up Microsoft Word and type up a letter that says you matched into ortho at Mass Gen, then staple (not tape) it to your bare chest. No one will mess with you then.

One of mine specifically asked that people come dressed in "smart business casual attire." Do with that what you will.

Show up in a pair of scrubs, that'll show initiative and passion. Bonus points if you wear a stethoscope around your neck (but only the Littman Cardio IV, gotta show you won't cheap out on lifesaving equipment).

I'm planning on wearing khakhis and a dress shirt for the dinner and then just casual clothing for the rest of it. You're not trying to impress them anymore, they're trying to impress you. At this point I'm just gonna focus on meeting potential classmates and not being too uptight about everything. Obviously still behave well but i doubt being casually dressed isn't going to hurt you in anyway...

My guess is just dress nicely—I'm probably planning on a nice blouse paired with dark jeans/pants or a semi-casual skirt.

Although truthfully, for schools that don't specify a dress code, what exactly can they even do to you if you wear street casual clothes? It's not like they can rescind your acceptance if you show up in sweatpants lmao.

In general, I'm going to try to dress "nicely." For any events with a more formal focus or more faculty/administration, it's probably fair to err on the side of professional, i.e. skirt/pants and a conservative blouse or a professional dress for ladies, and khakis/slacks and a dress shirt for the guys. For events dominated and/or hosted by students, it's safe to dress down a bit more. A nice pair of jeans and a clean blouse/shirt would probably suffice. Maybe avoid sweatpants/gym clothes/scrubs etc. But hey, you're accepted, and it's unlikely they'll rescind an offer based on your clothing choices, so you do you.

Honest question. Any reason why I shouldn't dress in blue jeans, sneakers, and a hoodie? This is how I always dress outside of work/interviews.

Honest question. Any reason why I shouldn't dress in blue jeans, sneakers, and a hoodie? This is how I always dress outside of work/interviews.
These people that you’re meeting may be future professors or clinical instructors or people you want to do research with. You don’t want to look like you can’t follow basic social cues. That and professionalism matter in medicine and it’s obnoxious to everyone else. Yes you are already in and no they won’t rescind your acceptance for wearing a hoodie, but that doesn’t mean you should quit following dress codes and implicit social rules just because you think you should be able to.

These people that you’re meeting may be future professors or clinical instructors or people you want to do research with. You don’t want to look like you can’t follow basic social cues. That and professionalism matter in medicine and it’s obnoxious to everyone else. Yes you are already in and no they won’t rescind your acceptance for wearing a hoodie, but that doesn’t mean you should quit following dress codes and implicit social rules just because you think you should be able to.

I agree with all of this. I was just wondering if it mattered for second look. But I suppose better safe than sorry.

yeah you're reading into it a bit more than you should. professors are human and don't expect you to be in a suit and tie at a second look. they are there to get to know who you are.

Y'all are crazy neurotic.... lol

Look presentable, maybe some khakis... I'm just going to wear jeans and a flannel bc it's cold af.

Follow the dress code that the school requests. If it’s a casual environment wear whatever. If it’s a suit and tie event wear a suit and tie. If you have to dress like Kanye better buy your yeezys. Not a difficult concept. Well except for getting the money for the yeezys.

yeah you're reading into it a bit more than you should. professors are human and don't expect you to be in a suit and tie at a second look. they are there to get to know who you are.

Look presentable, maybe some khakis... I'm just going to wear jeans and a flannel bc it's cold af.
It's pretty established that the dress code isn't sweatshirts and sneakers. When the poster asked why he shouldn't wear sweatshirts and sneakers I tried to explain why you should just follow the dress codes. No one said wear a suit.

*student shows up in jeans and a hoodie *
Professor thinking: "wow, this student had the gall to talk to me while wearing THAT, I'll have to make sure never to speak to them again"

Leather.