what truly matters when it comes to getting a fellowship spot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nilf

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the retrospect, methinks that the whole selection process for a fellowship is fraught with subjectivities and completely dependent on connections. I'm not complaining or anything, for I have nothing to complain about. However, in my naivety I thought that as we progress in our careers, the 'merit' will weigh more and more, and the grain will be separated from the chaff based on pure and straightforward achievements. Instead, I'm seeing favoritism, people getting fellowships because they cajoled a big name LOR, while great residents get nothing simply because they didn't play politics right. The whole selection process seems arbitrary.

Just a thought, feel free to share yours.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any experience with fellowship application, but having spent the last 8 years in med school/grad school and watched people's academic careers either take off or tank, I have concluded the opposite of what you stated. I submit that as you progress in your career, objective measures of success matter less and less, and politics/connections play an increasingly large role. Also, one can use the latter to obtain the former and thereby fool a lot of people about one's true abilities.

I think you're both saying the same thing.

Connections ARE important in landing a fellowship. I have known a few residents who were successful in landing competitive fellowships who succeeded in part because they made connections. Whether that was being visible at meetings or doing an away rotation at the place you want to do a fellowship, attempting to make connections rarely hurts. And it can help you a great deal by letting you distinguish yourself. But the opposite is correct too, that you aren't going to get anywhere based on connections. Connections may open doors for you or get you started, but they aren't going to get you anything (unless, possibly, your connections are at the extreme level like being married to someone who wields a lot of power, or your dad/mom is a huge name).

I wouldn't despair - connections aren't everything. But oftentimes residents who do not sufficiently "play the game" may find themselves screwed out of a spot in favor of someone who may be less qualified.

However, your achievements and career successes can open doors for you also, and it is hard to have a lot of success without making these connections to some level. You may not get through residency and have the entire USCAP Council's cell phone numbers, but if you have worked hard and put in your time, you are likely to have made more of an impression on influential people than you think.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's who you know. Such is life.

Is it nature or nurture?

IMO it's a bit of both, and in some circumstances (various applicant review committees) one can weigh more heavily than the other. If no-one knows you, you're at a relative disadvantage; if you've barely scraped by or had to repeat or haven't yet passed certain things and have no publications, you're also at a relative disadvantage. But I don't really think this is a surprise to anyone.

What may be surprising to at least some is that you aren't likely to be successful solely on the basis of having only ONE -- good connections, or good evidence of achievement (scores, publications, etc.).

What about publications? How important is that for fellowships? How many through residency is a good #?

it seems to me that in pathology people often stay at their own programs for fellowships. Problems really only arise when there are more people interested that there are open spots for (and this probably doesn't happen too often). Are you referring more to residents applying for fellowships to other programs?

it seems to me that in pathology people often stay at their own programs for fellowships. Problems really only arise when there are more people interested that there are open spots for (and this probably doesn't happen too often). Are you referring more to residents applying for fellowships to other programs?

Many programs don't have fellowships, and certainly most do not have them in every area. So people apply all over the place. And of course, people should always realize that being an internal candidate doesn't guarantee you anything. Internal candidates do get turned down in favor of outside people - the frequency of this varies by program.

If you're really interested in specific numbers, my suggestion would be to call a few fellowship programs you think you're interested in and ask them. Every program is different, and every program keys in on slightly different things when comparing fellowship applicants. Some programs are heavily research oriented and really really want applicants with proven publication experience; other programs focus strictly on diagnostics or have a high workload and aren't swayed by publications much at all.

Generically? Most competitive fellowships will like to see that you've at least put out a couple of case reports or an abstract presentation or two. I wouldn't feel obliged to do multiple metanalyses, case series reviews of 1000+ cases each, and a grant for prospective work, unless that's something you enjoy or the program(s) you want to go to really push for it.

Additionally, I'd highly recommend doing an elective in the field you want to do a fellowship in -- preferably at the institution you want to do the fellowship at, and preferably by the end of 2nd year or early in 3rd year. Like it or not, that familiarity will earn you schmooze points over those applicants who didn't bother.