what type of degrees?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gtnit

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any one have any input as to what type of degrees they earned and got admitted with? Is there any types that weigh better the others? I am onl in my second year of undergrad so I still have soem choices. I was thinking microbiolagy. But this seems to be one of the hardest routes. So any info would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that there are a plethora of option available for someone wanting to go to medical school. One of my friends is a theater major with a pre-med minor and she got into medical school. I saw something here on SND a while ago about people that were midevil history majors and all kinds of different stuff. I took the more traditional Biology route because if I didn't get into medical school I was planning on teaching high school science and I am interested in Biology. I think everyone here will agree that there is no certain degree that you should get to get into medical school. As long as you take all the pre-req's you can major in whatever floats your boat. The biggest thing is to major in something that makes you happy. If you are really interested in micro then by all means major in that, but don't do it if you are going to be miserable and think that it gives you the best chance to get into med school. Afterall this is the last chance you will have to learn about things that are different than what you will learn in med school. Undergrad is a time to become informed about the world.

Major in something you can enjoy and take the pre-reqs (whether they be a part of your major or as your electives). You certainly don't have to be a biology/chem type major to get into med school, and I really don't think that there is any single major that will "weigh better," so long as your grades (especially in the science classes you take) and your MCAT are good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do what interests you.

Seems everyone was a biology or biochem major.

Do English or Spanish or Art.

Wish I had.

I wish I would not have majored in Biology but my school did not offer an Economics degree and Biology was the shortest path for me to get to Med school.

Raptor5