what type of job for predent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blondie888

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help me decide what I should do. I plan on applying to dental school in 2011. I am trying to decide what kind of job to get for the upcoming school year. I know that research isn't mandatory at dental schools but its definitely good to have it. So with my job experiences, all of my previous jobs have been research in a bio lab or medical clinical research. They were not related to dentistry.

Which option do you think would be most beneficial to me and boost my dental application?
1) Find job in dental research at a dental school and being able to interact with dental school faculty.
2) Pursue what I have always been curious about and that is public health clinical research.
3) Put some variety in my job experiences and do something non-research related and non-dental related since all my previous jobs have been research related and also, I want to be well rounded.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Get good grades that will boost your app. Take the job that pays the most.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get good grades that will boost your app. Take the job that pays the most.
Agree.

I worked some crappy jobs and the interviewer appreciated it. I told her what I gained from the experience and she said that a lot of applicants haven't had to start from the bottom and she appreciated a hard work ethic instead of someone who has been spoon fed

Well, assuming I will get good grades and assuming the pay is about equal for all three jobs, which one would you guys pick?

The point is it really doesn't matter in terms of what dental schools are looking for. They probably want to see someone who has independent interests and doesn't just plan every single detail of their life to groom themselves into that 'perfect applicant'.

If you have an interest in something just pursue it.