What type of volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

projectpremed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a pre-med major with the hope of becoming a pediatric neurologist. I know one of the most important things I need to watch before medical school is the volunteering. I currently have the opportunity to go to a 4 day/ 3 night camp for the National Epilepsy Foundation. This would give me the opportunity to work with children that have epilepsy, but will it actually help me get into medical school since it isn't working in a hospital. So is it medical related or not? Should I do it?

Members don't see this ad.

Volunteer because you want to do it, not because it'll check off a box for med school. It's a 4 day thing. It's not like you have to choose whether to make a long-term commitment here. Do it if you want to. Don't if you don't. Med schools care that you show passion - if you hate cleaning beds and wheeling patients around, then don't volunteer for that position just because you think it'll help you get into med school. Volunteer for something you're passionate about and let that show. You still need to eventually show that you know what you're getting into so you'll need to do some shadowing and volunteering in a clinical setting. You can still find a clinical volunteer role you'll enjoy though.

Reactions: 1 users
I really want to do it! The thing is I have to buy a plane ticket! If it was closer I would do it with no question, but a $400 plane ticket causes me to think about it. It would be worth the money if it will help me!

Members don't see this ad :)
I really want to do it! The thing is I have to buy a plane ticket! If it was closer I would do it with no question, but a $400 plane ticket causes me to think about it. It would be worth the money if it will help me!

Not worth the money, in my opinion. It's not going to help you and you're not going to get much from a 4-day thing. Unless you have the money to go throw around, not the best use of your money in my opinion.

Reactions: 4 users
If it's a four day thing then forget it. You can have a similar (if not better) experience working with children at a local level for a much longer duration and you can do it for free.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a children's hospital near your home or your school. See if you can sign on as a volunteer in the outpatient clinic playing with kids in the waiting room. My kid was in orthopedics, which was adjacent to neurology and there were volunteers to hand out crayons and coloring book pages and sit with the kids. From there you may be able to arrange some shadowing or volunteer with kids in the inpatient setting. Don't limit yourself to pediatric neurology... if you can't imagine yourself interested in anything other than that specialty, make a long, hard self-reflection about why you want to pursue a career in medicine.

The advice of "volunteer because you want to" is BS in my opinion. I volunteered for hundreds of hours at a hospital for medical school. You know what I would have rather been doing with my time? Working to save money to pay for tuition.

Volunteering IS a box you have to check, don't spend 400 dollars on it for a few days. Longer experiences look better. Volunteer for at least a few months for a few hours a week at a hospital or someplace with patients. It will help your app more than some 4 day trip

The advice of "volunteer because you want to" is BS in my opinion. I volunteered for hundreds of hours at a hospital for medical school. You know what I would have rather been doing with my time? Working to save money to pay for tuition.

Volunteering IS a box you have to check, don't spend 400 dollars on it for a few days. Longer experiences look better. Volunteer for at least a few months for a few hours a week at a hospital or someplace with patients. It will help your app more than some 4 day trip

You could have been working in a clinical setting.... and then volunteer 4 hours per month because you want to help people and make your community a better place for those who can't help themselves (the aged, the very young, the disabled, the addicted, etc). Win-win. Clinical volunteering is not required; some community service is expected. Sometimes killing two birds with one stone (clinical experience and volunteering) is not the most efficient use of your time.

You could have been working in a clinical setting.... and then volunteer 4 hours per month because you want to help people and make your community a better place for those who can't help themselves (the aged, the very young, the disabled, the addicted, etc). Win-win. Clinical volunteering is not required; some community service is expected. Sometimes killing two birds with one stone (clinical experience and volunteering) is not the most efficient use of your time.

I spent my gap year working a clinical job which was great to get paid and get something to boost my resume at the same time. I feel like jobs like that are harder to come by than volunteering gigs

I spent my gap year working a clinical job which was great to get paid and get something to boost my resume at the same time. I feel like jobs like that are harder to come by than volunteering gigs

In which case your volunteering experience was redundant for the purpose of checking the box.

In which case your volunteering experience was redundant for the purpose of checking the box.

Absolutely. But I wasn't able to anticipate that I would get a clinical gap year job at a prestigious academic institution. I did a lot of box checking but it resulted in over 5 acceptances and I was accepted to 2/3 of my top choices so sometimes you just have to play along with the game

I am currently a pre-med major with the hope of becoming a pediatric neurologist. I know one of the most important things I need to watch before medical school is the volunteering. I currently have the opportunity to go to a 4 day/ 3 night camp for the National Epilepsy Foundation. This would give me the opportunity to work with children that have epilepsy, but will it actually help me get into medical school since it isn't working in a hospital. So is it medical related or not? Should I do it?

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you. And get off campus and out of your comfort zone!

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

Keep in mind the medical school isn't going to choose your specialty at the interview.

While the opportunity is tailored to what you want to do, it isn't necessary.

I'll admit I started volunteering in college to check boxes. I did Habitat for Humanity and a local free clinic.

Years later I'm still involved in both, though to a lesser extent.

I was interested in gynecology and neurology as a premeds. I worked with autistic kids and volunteered for Planned Parenthood. It wasn't just box checking and I still work with PP during medical school. Find a way to give back. You will learn about people no matter what you do to volunteer.

We won't care that much.
If you care ($400 worth), go ahead.

I was interested in gynecology and neurology as a premeds. I worked with autistic kids and volunteered for Planned Parenthood. It wasn't just box checking and I still work with PP during medical school. Find a way to give back. You will learn about people no matter what you do to volunteer.
I'm interested in volunteering for Planned Parenthood. How did you get the opportunity to volunteer and what did you do when you were there? I've contacted my local Planned Parenthood and the head of Planned Parenthood in Southwest Florida contacted me. Did this happen to you or did the local supervisor allow you to participate?