What undergrad school should I go to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MartUri

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm almost finishing up my AA in community college and it's almost time for me to go to a 4 year university. I am having troubles deciding on which university to go to, either UF or Nova. I know the tuition is a big factor in the differences between the two, but i'm going to need every edge that I can get for dental school applications. I will not be paying for housing if i go to nova but it is a 40 minute drive.
Also, Is there a higher chance of me getting into either dental school if i'm already an undergrad at that same school?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I'm almost finishing up my AA in community college and it's almost time for me to go to a 4 year university. I am having troubles deciding on which university to go to, either UF or Nova. I know the tuition is a big factor in the differences between the two, but i'm going to need every edge that I can get for dental school applications. I will not be paying for housing if i go to nova but it is a 40 minute drive.
Also, Is there a higher chance of me getting into either dental school if i'm already an undergrad at that same school?

Thank you in advance!

I did community then UF. I’m from Tampa, so I choose UF instead of USF mainly because I wanted to be intellectually challanged. As we know UF is the top school in the state.

In the end, I got into 4 dental schools, including Nova dental, but I did not get into UF dental.

My advice, do whatever you want to do, classes at UF will be cheaper than Nova, but u got free rent at nova.

So, honestly, do what you already know you want to do.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance!
I cannot stress enough how important it is to go to UF if you want to go to UF dental. There is no doubt in my mind that they do prefer selecting students who graduated from UF rather than those who went to other Florida schools. It's not impossible to get in from other universities, I know students who went to other Florida schools who got in to UF, but they were 4.0 students.
You will still need to have a great GPA and a great DAT, but if you are a very competitive applicant you will have an edge if you are a UF student.

You will be able to build up connections in the dental school through volunteering and shadowing as there are numerous ways to get involved at UF dental as an undergraduate student

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to the cheapest - schools will not care what school you attended. People at my interviews came from a wide range of colleges that I had never heard of. You most important thing is keeping your GPA as high as possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Go to the cheapest - schools will not care what school you attended. People at my interviews came from a wide range of colleges that I had never heard of. You most important thing is keeping your GPA as high as possible.
UF only accepts 1 to 3 out of state students a year. The majority of their dental classes are composed of UF undergraduate students.

I'd say to prioritize cost and how well you can maintain a high GPA. If cost and course difficulties at two undergrad schools are pretty much the same but one has a dental school and one doesn't, then choose the one with a dental school. I found it to be much easier at my undergrad to find dental related experiences since the dental school was right on campus so I could easily connect with faculty, explore the school, and find ways to get involved. Also, there'll tend to be more students interested in dentistry at an undergrad school that also has a dental program so you'll be able to find more likeminded students.

go to the cheapest school that will allow you to get the highest GPA
if you go to UF or Nova, make sure you volunteer at the dental school and make yourself known to the faculty/staff and attend predental club events there

UF only accepts 1 to 3 out of state students a year. The majority of their dental classes are composed of UF undergraduate students.

But wouldn’t you say that first of they accept very few out of state but then the majority of their in state applicants come from UF since they have a large pre dental body. But this shouldn’t make it harder to get in from other in state schools right? I’m just asking. I don’t know much about Florida but I was just saying in general don’t kill your self if you don’t get into a big name undergrad

But wouldn’t you say that first of they accept very few out of state but then the majority of their in state applicants come from UF since they have a large pre dental body. But this shouldn’t make it harder to get in from other in state schools right? I’m just asking. I don’t know much about Florida but I was just saying in general don’t kill your self if you don’t get into a big name undergrad
On my interview day, albeit it was their second interview day of the year so the sampling could be off, but of the 20 interviewees, other than myself there was one other student who didn't attend/graduate from UF. I know a few of my other friends who interviewed at different dates this past cycle to have similar experiences with only one or two students from other colleges in Florida.

Definitely not a big deal if you don't get in to UF undergrad, you still can get into UF dental, it's not impossible. You just raise your chances by attending UF because in my experience it really seems like the favor UF students