What was your hardest non science class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
GuzzyRon said:
1. History - memorizing dates and events down go down well with me. I honestly can't say I care about something that happened in 1321...I just want to get into med school.

2. Psychology - I got pissed off by Freud's stupid theories. He sounded so perverted and ridiculous that my disgust of him unfortunately transfered over to the entire course. I know it's a shame, I know.

I always hate to hear how some teacher turned history from an interesting analysis of patterns and trends into the drudgery of rote memorization. Save the rote for Ochem.

Members don't see this ad.

Worst was probably Art History 101.

Too much pointless memorization of Italian and German names.

It's one thing to memorize physiology or anatomy which interests me... it's an entirely differnet issue to memorize pointless dates and names.

2. Psychology - I got pissed off by Freud's stupid theories. He sounded so perverted and ridiculous that my disgust of him unfortunately transfered over to the entire course. I know it's a shame, I know.

For some reason, this does not sit well wtih me. I am a psych minor and FYI Freud is largely discredited in Psychology today.

In all of my psych classes, we have gone over his ideas a grand total of a day or two. Science-based psychology has tended to shy away from this more abstract approach to cognition. The only part of Freudian psychology that still applies is the notion of memory repression... post-traumatic stress disorder bears out its existence.

</rant>

Members don't see this ad :)
drmax said:
For some reason, this does not sit well wtih me. I am a psych minor and FYI Freud is largely discredited in Psychology today.

In all of my psych classes, we have gone over his ideas a grand total of a day or two. Science-based psychology has tended to shy away from this more abstract approach to cognition. The only part of Freudian psychology that still applies is the notion of memory repression... post-traumatic stress disorder bears out its existence.

</rant>

Don't forget defense mechanisms. ;)

dapmp91 said:
What was your hardest non science class, DAMN I'm so pissed off right now I made all A's in my math and science and in my summer class I got F""""ing screwed with a B in American Governement :mad:

Seminar in Ethical Theory

I'm a Phil major so I'm used to this kinda sh$t.

The prof was a female PhD JD from Harvard, bit me in my ass. Nice lady, but her tests were insane, and I was reading 1000+ pages a week.

Side note: who gets their PhD and JD and becomes a Prof? Why didn't she just stop at the PhD? Watch this lady get her MD as well, then ill really be impressed.

Philosophy- I personally like things in black and white- screw the gray area.

WestTexasRambler said:
Advanced Accounting Theory :barf:

One mean class...... Organic had nothing on that class, or at least they guy teaching it.

My advanced class was easy. Intermediate Accounting II was the toughest class I have taken. We are probably the only two on this board to have taken either of these classes though. I doubt anyone else can relate.

I love how a lot of the classes listed are upper level classes, and people are suprised they are hard. You do realize that majors outside of biology/biochem are difficult as well?

Game Theory was the worst for me -- way too academic. Its examining mathematically/logical how people should act, but game theoretic models almost NEVER hold up in the laboratory.

sentry said:
I love how a lot of the classes listed are upper level classes, and people are suprised they are hard. You do realize that majors outside of biology/biochem are difficult as well?

Game Theory was the worst for me -- way too academic. Its examining mathematically/logical how people should act, but game theoretic models almost NEVER hold up in the laboratory.

Just out of curiosity, what did the laboratory consist of, the card room at the Bellagio?

Quix said:
If I had a nickel for every time I had a student suggest that in class, I'd have a lot of nickels.

Sarcasm...

I think life is Pink. And to second that guy who posted about other majors being hard outside of the sciences, I didn't believe that untill I decided to major in Philosophy as well as in Bio. The sciences are so clear cut, you study, you understand the material and you do well. Philosophy on the other hand requires zero memorizing, and a whole lot of understanding ideas, debating them, getting anally raped on term papers, and midterms, reading thousands of pages of material; but i enjoy it. Not the anal rapage part, the part about life being black and white, and pink.

Quix are you a masters student or PhD, in Phil? Because I was really interested in pursuing a PhD in Phil but I also really want to go Med school, I was wondering if you had taken a similar path.

I actually loved game theory....I think that the reason that it doesn't hold up in the laboratory is that people aren't smart enough to do the "math" to see what their best option really is.

Incidentally, alot of game theories don't take into account risk aversion, and they probably should, although including it is apparently "impossible" for most theories....whatever my prof meant by that!

Also a phil major here and completly in the same boat.....if I wasn't doing medicine I would definetly be getting a PhD in phil.

Intro. Sociology...missed my A+ by a couple percent.

Hmm.
The difficult ones for me were Appalachian History and Literature, as well as Middle English Lit.
Both of them require you reading in your language, with every other word being something that really isn't your language. French wasn't as hard because you knew you were going to have to look stuff up. Business classes weren't too bad. I went to a liberal arts school so we did lots of philosophizing in every class, not just philosophy.

Still the hardest classes ever were O.Chem 800 and P.Chem 900. And I had a 99 and a 100 in undergraduate orgo.

Probably Western Civilization 1, I got a C in it. But I am not great at history and it was my first semester at college also. The first test on in Alabama History was horrible too, I ended up doing pretty bad on it and eventually withdrew from the class (not only due to that but other circumstances also). I thought Alabama History would be really easy, but no its not. Also I tied taking a pre-calculus class that combined both the algebra and trig into one 4 hr course (instead of a 3 hour course for algebra and a 3 hour course for trig). The professor was a jerk and would insult you just about anytime you asked questions, and he couldn't teach anyway. So I ended up transferring to a regular pre-cal algebra class.

I took a real estate law class. It wasn't terribly difficult, but it was only offered one day a week, so it was like 4 hours long. I really can't tolerate prorating taxes for 4 damn hours.

metaphysical philosophy...wow

Hardbody said:
My advanced class was easy. Intermediate Accounting II was the toughest class I have taken. We are probably the only two on this board to have taken either of these classes though. I doubt anyone else can relate.
I've got an accounting degree and thought most of my accounting classes were not that bad save GAAP, tax, and the second cost accounting class. But it all boils down to who is teaching and how they approach it.