What went wrong? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you know everything, why are you even here?
I would skip the sarcasm ,but my eyes would detach from the aggressive eye rolling.
The phrase " I don't think" is generally used by people expressing an opinion. Idk if you recall, but this thread started with why a seemingly qualified candidate was rejected from med school , and some people said " ooohh, no non clinical volunteering" and some people said it wasn't as huge of a hole as this failed app cycle would make it seem.

Members don't see this ad.

I would also add volunteering in local county jail or youth detention facility. Simple library or reading help is always appeeciated.

Reactions: 1 user
The phrase " I don't think" is generally used by people expressing an opinion. Idk if you recall, but this thread started with why a seemingly qualified candidate was rejected from med school , and some people said " ooohh, no non clinical volunteering" and some people said it wasn't as huge of a hole as this failed app cycle would make it seem.
I reckon it was unanimous between adcoms that the issue was lack of service to others.
oK wa competing against people who have hundreds if not thousands of hours of service in both clinical and non-clinical settings..

Example: say you have 1 more spot and 2 applicants left

Applicant A has
Stats like OP
800 hours of non clinical volunteering
Over 1000 clinical
1000+ hours of research
Lots of hobbies
Has shown some leadership activity

Then you have Applicant B which OP
Excellent stats
Research stud
But minimal volunteering

Who do you pick? I pick applicant A...

This is why I started volunteering the first month I graduated :-(also because I enjoy it)
My end goal for applying is keep my GPA at a minimum of 3.7, try and score a 515+ on the MCAT, do at least a year of research, and four figure volunteering hours in clinical, and I am aiming for four figure volunteer hours in non-clinical as well
That's why I am taking a gap year too to make it happen
The above should make me an acceptable candidate for any mid tier M.D school(my state school)

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who thought that OP's school list was too top heavy - what would you have changed? I have similar stats and am still editing my school list. Using WedgeDawg's WARS system, the recommended list is pretty much any of the top 20 schools you're interested in, a few "mid-tier" schools, and your state schools. Yet when someone like OP comes looking for help, the first thought is that OP applied too top heavy. I know that you should never look at a school as a safety school, but at what point do you say you have enough schools?

To those who thought that OP's school list was too top heavy - what would you have changed? I have similar stats and am still editing my school list. Using WedgeDawg's WARS system, the recommended list is pretty much any of the top 20 schools you're interested in, a few "mid-tier" schools, and your state schools. Yet when someone like OP comes looking for help, the first thought is that OP applied too top heavy. I know that you should never look at a school as a safety school, but at what point do you say you have enough schools?
OP's app was missing some components and OP doesn't interview well. You should create a WAMC thread.

I think both @LizzyM and @Goro thought it was a well-composed list, so I would not be too concerned about a top-heavy list if you followed WARS and don't have some issue that WARS didn't account for.

I would get a job as an Emt or medical scribe adcoms love that clinical experience. I feel like people roll their eyes at shadowing and know it's basically bull**** if you do it more than 40 hours..like what are you actually doing shadowing a physician for more than a full work week?

I could be totally wrong but I just feel shadowing for long periods of time is a joke and clinical hours should be obtained through meaningful clinical experience such as Emt, er tech, scribe, medical assistant etc

Reactions: 1 users
OP's app was missing some components and OP doesn't interview well. You should create a WAMC thread.

I did after my MCAT score came back and no one replied! I ended up taking it down in case anyone thought I was just bragging or something.

The above should make me an acceptable candidate for any mid tier M.D school(my state school)

From your posts, I get the impression you REALLY wanna go to your state school. Hope ya get in!

From your posts, I get the impression you REALLY wanna go to your state school. Hope ya get in!
Tuition is 32k a year compared to the 50k or so for privates
Why wouldn't I? Lol

Tuition is 32k a year compared to the 50k or so for privates
Why wouldn't I? Lol
Private schools also tend to have scholarships to offset cost. I wouldn't write them off.

It's definitely interesting to see people not inquire the OP about his interests in OMM before telling him

high sGPA-cGPA = don't apply to osteopathic medical schools

Big shame if a student considering osteopathic manipulation a great tool in practice, feels discouraged then desists from applying to D.O. schools, simply because the vast majority of medical peers on here say it's a bad idea.

Doesn't matter if the general trend show slightly lower stats for enrolled D.O. students. Doesn't matter if it's an uphill battle to a competitive residency as a D.O. graduate. Don't rule out osteopathic medicine for a forum poster here without following up with them on OMT.

It's like telling a prospective D.V.M. student to not pursue veterinary medicine it's much harder for them to hit high six figs, and because D.O.'s and M.D.'s have greater social prestige, don't have to deal with animal allergies, don't have to worry about being bitten, don't have to worry about catching parasites, and have a much more comfortable salary.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's definitely interesting to see people not inquire the OP about his interests in OMM before telling him

Big shame if a student considering osteopathic manipulation a great tool in practice, feels discouraged then desists from applying to D.O. schools, simply because the vast majority of medical peers on here say it's a bad idea.

Doesn't matter if the general trend show slightly lower stats for enrolled D.O. students. Doesn't matter if it's an uphill battle to a competitive residency as a D.O. graduate. Don't rule out osteopathic medicine for a forum poster here without following up with them on OMT.

It's like telling a prospective D.V.M. student to not pursue veterinary medicine it's much harder for them to hit high six figs, and because D.O.'s and M.D.'s have greater social prestige, don't have to deal with animal allergies, don't have to worry about being bitten, don't have to worry about catching parasites, and have a much more comfortable salary.

US MDs can learn and practice OMM.

Reactions: 3 users

Should we also be checking on people's feelings about homeopathy? Would be a shame to redirect a prospective Naturopathic Doctor because they'd be an outlier in scores, right?

Reactions: 6 users
Should we also be checking on people's feelings about homeopathy? Would be a shame to redirect a prospective Naturopathic Doctor because they'd be an outlier in scores, right?
Lol. How about transmutation ? I have always wanted to turn lead into gold.

Reactions: 4 users

I'm not sure he is interested in DO or OMM. He didn't apply to DO last cycle but he plans to this cycle. Seems to me he wants to protect himself from having apply a third time.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

That's a real, big moon of a straw-man right there. Naturopathy is ineffective and harmful. Homeopathy is pure bull****. Osteopathy is systematically and consistently proven to be very healthful.

I'm staring wide-eyed at your comment. There's a problem with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be my interview skills, but I expected more than just 3 interviews with my stats and ECs, which lead me to believe it's something on my app since I'm primarily rejected pre-interview.

Your stats are fantastic but they are expected at many of the schools on your list. At that level, I would imagine the personal attributes you reflect in your app are weighted heavily. You seem to acknowledge that your personal statement and secondaries are good but perhaps they are not shining through the sea of impressive accomplishments flooding the adcoms at those schools. I'm sure you have a great shot of getting an acceptance this cycle but even if you don't, you have all the reason in the world to be optimistic. There are many great schools who would take you in a heartbeat.

That's a real, big moon of a straw-man right there. Naturopathy is ineffective and harmful. Homeopathy is pure bull****. Osteopathy is systematically and consistently proven to be very healthful.

I'm staring wide-eyed at your comment. There's a problem with it.
Yes, it's been so well evidenced that allopathic medical schools are rushing to adopt it

oh wait

US MDs can learn and practice OMM.

Right, but will require another period of study. You'd also be right in saying the benefits of getting an M.D. outweighs one's preference for OMM, especially in residency selection. However, since

D.O. and M.D. schools teach essentially the same curriculum, with D.O. schools requiring additional study on OMM/OMT. D.O.'s are just as qualified and prepared as any M.D. student to pursue high-stake specialties, and can perform just as well;

I'm hoping to see an acceleration in globally establishing the equality of the D.O. and M.D. degree, even though it is already happening. Definitely will if top-notch students decide to apply and attend D.O. schools.

Yes, it's been so well evidenced that allopathic medical schools are rushing to adopt it

oh wait

They won't, even if they think OMM is a good practice. Thus the separation between allo- and osteo-

Osteopathy is systematically and consistently proven to be very healthful.

ohDKCIOh.jpg

Also, looking at your post history @LordLana, you're a kid in highschool who is applying to schools with BS/DO programs. Funny how you think you know so much about OMM and medicine in general.

Reactions: 5 users
Right, but will require another period of study. You'd also be right in saying the benefits of getting an M.D. outweighs one's preference for OMM, especially in residency selection. However, since

D.O. and M.D. schools teach essentially the same curriculum, with D.O. schools requiring additional study on OMM/OMT. D.O.'s are just as qualified and prepared as any M.D. student to pursue high-stake specialties, and can perform just as well;

I'm hoping to see an acceleration in globally establishing the equality of the D.O. and M.D. degree, even though it is already happening. Definitely will if top-notch students decide to apply and attend D.O. schools.

If MD and DO degrees are equal, why have two separate degrees rather than one? Since US MDs can practice OMM, if anything, DOs should be reintegrated back into MD. There is no need for a separate DO degree, education system, pathway etc.

Reactions: 2 users

Once I finish my D.O. degree, let me set your bones. It'll be better than sex.

If MD and DO degrees are equal, why have two separate degrees rather than one? Since US MDs can practice OMM, if anything, DOs should be reintegrated back into MD. There is no need for a separate DO degree, education system, pathway etc.

I see your point, and it will indeed make things much less complicated if the only doctorate medical degree was an M.D, with OMM offered as an elective. Reintegration is highly improbable, though.

They won't, even if they think OMM is a good practice. Thus the separation between allo- and osteo-
Who indoctrinated you? Are you like some kind of crunchy granola child of chiropractors already convinced before you can vote that MD programs and biomed journals have some great conspiratorial agenda to suppress the panacea that is OMM?

Who indoctrinated you? Are you like some kind of crunchy granola child of chiropractors already convinced before you can vote that MD programs and biomed journals have some great conspiratorial agenda to suppress the panacea that is OMM?

He clearly watched Dr. Strange and knows that OMM is the one true answer to traversing the multiple dimensions

Once I finish my D.O. degree, let me set your bones. It'll be better than sex.
I dare you to say that at your D.O school interview.
Please secretly record too, I will donate 5 dollars towards your tuition.

They are equal, equal but separate.
Which of course makes 0 sense

Definitely another straw-man. What I said there was not, and not intended to be a criticism of any allopath directors intentionally ignoring the benefits of OMM. You've relented to mob hysteria. I said that integration of OMM into an allopathic curriculum will not happen. It's true.

spoken like a true highschooler.

My age and academic status have no bearing on what I'm capable of thinking, Astra118. Don't make me cite attendings typing cynical **** on SDN, and most importantly, don't be that guy.

I dare you to say that at your D.O school interview.
Please secretly record too, I will donate 5 dollars towards your tuition.

Already accepted. And it was supposed to be whimsical, not serious.

I wouldn't take too much stock in these comments. As the adcoms have pointed out, saying that this school-list is "too top-heavy" is absolute nonsense.

Definitely another straw-man. What I said there was not, and not intended to be a criticism of any allopath directors intentionally ignoring the benefits of OMM. You've relented to mob hysteria. I said that integration of OMM into an allopathic curriculum will not happen. It's true.
The important it part was where you said "even if they think OMM is a good practice" and "intentionally ignoring"

That statement would require a conspiracy among MD schools/the biomed science community to suppress what they knew was a scientific truth, a best practice, in order to keep separate.

That makes it not at all a straw man to say most of these things.

Definitely never typed the word "equal" in previous posts. That's what @Lawper interpreted my words to be. My straw-man alarm is really going off at this hour

ok

My age and academic status have no bearing on what I'm capable of thinking, Astra118.
How would you react to a 5th grader telling you they knew meditation was a great way to combat pancreatic cancer ?

oh what the **** I:

The equality argument still stands, however. Academically, they're equivalent, and that's all that should matter. Socially, D.O. tends to be disfavored by conservative directors. Big shame.

How would you react to a 5th grader telling you they knew meditation was a great way to combat pancreatic cancer ?

That's another very thick straw of a straw-man.

My statements aren't irrational or unestablished. "meditation was a great way to combat pancreatic cancer" is ridiculous.

That's another very thick straw in a straw-man.

My statements aren't irrational or unestablished. "meditation was a great way to combat pancreatic cancer" is absolutely ridiculous.
This is the scientific community view of OMM, that is why it is not taught at MD schools, and claiming they know it's legit but conspire to keep it quiet and out of the curriculum is the most ridiculous claim of all

This is the scientific community view of OMM, that is why it is not taught at MD schools, and claiming they know it's legit but conspire to keep it quiet and out of the curriculum is the most ridiculous claim of all

No sane OMM course instructor would ever present the idea that meditation can cure pancreatic cancer.

Cite a single source from any primary source or osteopathic medical school that endorses this for me, I challenge you!

The equality argument still stands, however. Academically, they're equivalent, and that's all that should matter.

I get your desire for DOs and MDs to be treated equally but until DO admission standards are as high as MD schools, the stigma will always exist.

Lets be real, the vast majority of people attend DO schools because they were not competitive for MD schools.

Reactions: 2 users
This is a reminder to keep the thread on topic (helping the OP figure out how to improve his next cycle) and to remember that the MD vs. DO horse was flagellated dead for the last time in the great SDN Flame War.

If you would like to discuss the merits of choosing a DO program versus an MD program make a different thread about those schools in particular in the school selections sub forum. If you think you have anything new to add to the MD vs DO debate, you really don't.

Reactions: 6 users
remember that the MD vs. DO horse was flagellated dead for the last time in the great SDN Flame War.

You got a link to that? Always enjoy reading a good flame war

Here are some examples:

Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

@LizzyM Well that kind of activity isn't measurable
So when you say non clinical you mean to say join an organization like habitat for humanity, boys and girls club, big brothers, etc?

Here are some examples:

Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.
Thanks; I just set myself up with a non-clinical organization for volunteer work. Should be something I will do for a couple years? Not sure but hopefully a year or two. (It is one of the above, can't say in forums for anonymity)

This is a reminder to keep the thread on topic (helping the OP figure out how to improve his next cycle) and to remember that the MD vs. DO horse was flagellated dead for the last time in the great SDN Flame War.

If you would like to discuss the merits of choosing a DO program versus an MD program make a different thread about those schools in particular in the school selections sub forum. If you think you have anything new to add to the MD vs DO debate, you really don't.

yes dad

Status
Not open for further replies.