What were some stupid questions that you were asked at interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thegenius said:
So..
what does OMGWTFBBQ stand for? I got most of it...Oh My God What The Fock...? Is the last bit barbeque? Like, OMG WTF BBQ I need to eat some now?
It's funny you bring this up because ever since OMGWTFBBQ started posting here I laugh every time I see his screen name and now when I am out and about I catch myself responding to things saying "oh my god, what the f*ck, bar-b-que!"

This isn't so much a stupid question, but funny. At an interview, the physician said "So how well did you do on the MCAT?" Then, before I could start my lengthy diatribe about my sh*tty score, he says. "Why the hell do they make us ask this? I don't really care what your score is. It's clear that you will make a fine doctor."

Members don't see this ad.

At Albany, they told us all in the little orientation before our interviews that "no matter what you read on SDN, we don't have a specific agenda to ask ethics related questions."

During my first interview, about 15 minutes in, the guy said "Ok well, I guess they expect us to ask some ethics related questions..."

I just thought it was funny.

BlinkyCat said:
Interviewer: What's your favorite color?

Me: *stare blankly for five seconds" blue

Interviewer: Why?

Me: ..... ..... because it represents serenity and gives me a sense of calm..

In my head: why?! why?! because I look sexy in blue... blue brings out the color of my eyes.!!! Why are you asking me this!!!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

This reminds me of Monty Python's Holy Grail. What is your name? Sir Galahad, the brave... What is your favorite color? Blue. No....Yellow! Aieeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! :laugh:

Sorry, I just agree, that's a silly question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, what a great thread. Its good to hear of the other crazy questions that have been asked during interviews. I have a couple of my own, but they probably won't seem as good as the others.

My interviewer first made a comment about how he had gotten the diversity from the applicant pool.

1. What are you planning on doing with your political science degree?
What I was thinking: Umm, did you notice that you can major in something that you are interested in that doesn't have to be biology?

2. Are you planning on running for office one day?
What I was thinking: What, do you think I'm going to be Bill Frist or something?

3. So, can I ask you about religion, I'm guessing you are Hindu, can you tell me about that?
I proceed to tell him some things about Hinduism.
At the end, he asks again: So do you go to church on a regular basis?
What I was thinking: Umm...do you realize different religions have different names for their houses of worship?

4. Have you done anything to show that you are altruistic? You know community service?
I proceed to tell him about the events I've participated in, the clinical volunteer experience I did weekly, the fact I'm in charge of community service events for my organization, and how I enjoy doing things for others and hopefully inspire others in the organization to also participate in the events.
As I continued, he cut me off and proceeded to something else.

He also asked me where I thought healthcare would be in 10 years, which I had difficulty answering, and he proceeded to repeat the question 3 times....At some point he also mentioned that he was conservative and didn't think the government needed to be involved in anything, and he ended the interview with "Well you are okay..." Oh, and my most favorite part, he told me that he was actually not on the admissions committee and was just filling in for a friend. :confused:

I got in anyway. Thank goodness my composure was regained and my next interviewer was wonderful.

I walked into one interviewer's office and he goes, "Today is your lucky day..."

A million different things were running through my head (mostly, WTF?!) in that split second he paused before saying,

"I graduated from Tulane in 1990!"

Turns out we'd even lived in the same dorm..... haha.

Then there was the interviewer (different school) who started asking me questions in French. It took me like 30 full seconds before I realized that 1) he wasn't speaking English and 2) I'm fluent in French and should probably answer his question.

:p

gdbaby said:
This isn't so much a stupid question, but funny. At an interview, the physician said "So how well did you do on the MCAT?" Then, before I could start my lengthy diatribe about my sh*tty score, he says. "Why the hell do they make us ask this? I don't really care what your score is. It's clear that you will make a fine doctor."
I got asked what my MCAT score was by one interviewer too. He hadn't read my file, and he told me this up front. So at one point he says, "How did you do on the MCAT?" I said, "I did well." I didn't know if he wanted me to tell him the actual score, b/c his whole rationale for not reading my file was to avoid having preconceived notions about me. But then he says, "How well?" I said, "Really well. Do you want me to tell you the actual score?" And he says, "Yes, what was the actual score?" And then when I told him, he flat-out didn't believe me at first. I'm thinking to myself, "Dude, my file is right there on that table in front of you and you already told me that you're going to read it as soon as I walk out of this room. Why the h*** would I lie to you about my MCAT score???" He did check my score in the file in front of me, BTW. :smuggrin:

I got at my first interview:

Tell me your life story

Me: Are u serious?

QofQuimica said:
And he says, "Yes, what was the actual score?" And then when I told him, he flat-out didn't believe me at first.

There's a good chance he's never seen a score quite like yours :)

Man I would have loved to see his face when he looked at the file :p

#1 Interviewer: How many degrees of separation are there between the minute hand and the second hand on a clock when it strikes 3:15?

#2 Interviewer: If there are four bridges connecting Manhattan island to New York, how many people commute to the island each day?

kdburton said:
#1 Interviewer: How many degrees of separation are there between the minute hand and the second hand on a clock when it strikes 3:15?

#2 Interviewer: If there are four bridges connecting Manhattan island to New York, how many people commute to the island each day?

anywhere from 0 to 359? there are usually no second hands on a clock. and the time given is in hours and minutes. a trick question.

simple - just put a interviewer on every single incoming conduit (bridge, subway, tunnel, helicopter, boat, etc.) into the city and ask every person who passes by if they are a commuter or not. Do this every day for 1 year, average the results, and you'll have a pretty accurate answer within a few percentage points.

Are you sure you want to be a doctor?Do you realize you have a masters in Finance from a great school?
Really? I did not know that.Did they give me a degree too?

Do you realize that a doctor see alot of patients and is busy?
No **** , Sherlock Holmes.

My alltime favorite dumb question.

How does it feel to be black?
I don't know. I was orange yesterday. I'm just trying this color because it matches with my shoes.

QofQuimica said:
I got asked what my MCAT score was by one interviewer too. He hadn't read my file, and he told me this up front. So at one point he says, "How did you do on the MCAT?" I said, "I did well." I didn't know if he wanted me to tell him the actual score, b/c his whole rationale for not reading my file was to avoid having preconceived notions about me. But then he says, "How well?" I said, "Really well. Do you want me to tell you the actual score?" And he says, "Yes, what was the actual score?" And then when I told him, he flat-out didn't believe me at first. I'm thinking to myself, "Dude, my file is right there on that table in front of you and you already told me that you're going to read it as soon as I walk out of this room. Why the h*** would I lie to you about my MCAT score???" He did check my score in the file in front of me, BTW. :smuggrin:

what'd you get on the MCAT? you can pm me it if you want. or not. whatever
-mota

drmota said:
-mota

Be sure to be sitting down. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
dom1n1c said:
I don't know. I was orange yesterday. I'm just trying this color because it matches with my shoes.
i hope that is what you said... :laugh: i would love to see his face after coment like this
why some people are so ignorant.
Maybe you should have ask him how does it feel to be white :smuggrin:

drmota said:
-mota
:laugh: It's not like I'm willing to tell everyone on SDN except you, mota. :p I got a 43. I posted a brief bio in the MCAT subforum about a year ago so that people would know why the h*** this person QofQuimica thinks she's qualified to set up the subforum and answer their MCAT questions. ;)

Dr. Kicia: No, I'm definitely not a genius. No one expected me to do as well as I did, including me. In fact, the universal response I got from people who know me well was, "Geez, I knew you were pretty smart, but I didn't think you were THAT smart." That interviewer's response was actually pretty typical. I might be more insulted by other people's shocked reactions if I hadn't had the exact same thought myself the first time I saw my scores. :smuggrin: The only person who knows me well and still thinks I'm a genius is my mom. :love:

QofQuimica said:
:laugh: It's not like I'm willing to tell everyone on SDN except you, mota. :p I got a 43.

Mota beat me to asking that question. So, honestly, I have to say for you= holy crap that's awesome! Rock on Q. You've been my hero(ine) for a while, but now you're Xena the Warrior Princess, girlfriend.
I would have loved to be a fly on the wall and see that interviewer's expression when he looked. :smuggrin:

Unfortuntately I don't have any crazy interview questions to post, but I did get into a cool discussion with an interviewer regarding the legalization of marijuana (he was pro). Pretty interesting.

thegenius said:
anywhere from 0 to 359? there are usually no second hands on a clock. and the time given is in hours and minutes. a trick question.

Not a trick question. He was referring to 3 hours and 15 minutes. On an analog clock, three hours and fifteen minutes are at the same position. In theory, there are no degrees of separation between the minute and hour hands. In reality, the hour hand in constantly moving. There would be about 1-2 degrees. Of course, you could also claim that you use digital watches and the question does not apply to you.

deuist said:
Not a trick question. He was referring to 3 hours and 15 minutes. On an analog clock, three hours and fifteen minutes are at the same position. In theory, there are no degrees of separation between the minute and hour hands. In reality, the hour hand in constantly moving. There would be about 1-2 degrees. Of course, you could also claim that you use digital watches and the question does not apply to you.
All those clocks have second hands. Who could forget watching the second hand count down to recess or the end of the school day in elementary school? Or the "Tick, tick, tick" during any tests or "quiet reading times".
Between the second and the hour hands: anywhere from 90º - 97.5º.
90º (it's at 3) and an additional 7.5º because it's at one quarter of 30º/hour (one quarter of the way between 3 & 4)....
I don't know how to tell time so I don't really care. I do know that lavender and chicken go really well together for some reason.
Ok, my friend was asked at his med school interview: "What would you do if Osama bin Laden came to the US and said men can't be doctors?" (Let's just ignore that his repressive fanaticism would likely conclude that women can't be doctors... or anything else.)

deuist said:

Ahhhh, he tricked you too! I think this is a question off the WISC or one of the other IQ tests; there are 0 degrees of seperation between the HOUR and the MINUTE hand, but there are 90 degrees of separation between the minute and the SECOND hand at exactly 3:00 and 3:15. Of course, this is only relevant if your clock chimes every 15 minutes.

QofQuimica said:
:laugh: It's not like I'm willing to tell everyone on SDN except you, mota. :p I got a 43. I posted a brief bio in the MCAT subforum about a year ago so that people would know why the h*** this person QofQuimica thinks she's qualified to set up the subforum and answer their MCAT questions. ;)

Dr. Kicia: No, I'm definitely not a genius. No one expected me to do as well as I did, including me. In fact, the universal response I got from people who know me well was, "Geez, I knew you were pretty smart, but I didn't think you were THAT smart." That interviewer's response was actually pretty typical. I might be more insulted by other people's shocked reactions if I hadn't had the exact same thought myself the first time I saw my scores. :smuggrin: The only person who knows me well and still thinks I'm a genius is my mom. :love:

I think the interviewers reaction is consistent with what I expect. There are only a handful of people each year that score over 40, and that handful gets increasingly small (very quickly) as you get to 41, 42, 43. And I remember reading somewhere that scores like 45, 44, 43 sometimes are not recorded for a given year.

So it's rare that anybody (even medical school admissions) gets to meet someone who got a 43+. I don't think his comment "No way your lying" was to imply that you are actually, literally lying. It just something you don't lie about. I think it was rather his way of expressing an event that rarely happens.

2Sexy4MedSchool said:
Ahhhh, he tricked you too! I think this is a question off the WISC or one of the other IQ tests; there are 0 degrees of seperation between the HOUR and the MINUTE hand, but there are 90 degrees of separation between the minute and the SECOND hand at exactly 3:00 and 3:15. Of course, this is only relevant if your clock chimes every 15 minutes.

But my clock does not have a second hand! I'm looking at it right now.

Does that mean the answer is -1?

2Sexy4MedSchool said:

...the hour and minute hands do not overlap at 3:15.

At 3:15, the hour and minute hands cannot be synced (or have 0 deg. of separation) because the hour hand must move (albeit slowly) if it is to reach '4' at four o' clock. At 3:15, 1/4th of an hour has passed, so if the hour hand moves at a constant rate, it must be 1/4th of the way to four o'clock from three o'clock. Because there are twelve evenly-spaced hour marks on a clock, each hour is 30 degrees apart (360/12). Therefore, at 3:15, the hour hand will be 30 degrees x 1/4 away from the minute hand. In other words, there will be 7.5 degrees of separation between the hour and minute hands at 3:15 am or pm.

And in my experience, most wall clocks *do* have second hands as well as minute/hour hands. The second hands are usually in red or black, and they either move slowly and constantly or at regular, second-spaced intervals (making the Tick...Tick...Tick sound).

thegenius said:
I think the interviewers reaction is consistent with what I expect. There are only a handful of people each year that score over 40, and that handful gets increasingly small (very quickly) as you get to 41, 42, 43. And I remember reading somewhere that scores like 45, 44, 43 sometimes are not recorded for a given year.

So it's rare that anybody (even medical school admissions) gets to meet someone who got a 43+. I don't think his comment "No way your lying" was to imply that you are actually, literally lying. It just something you don't lie about. I think it was rather his way of expressing an event that rarely happens.
He didn't accuse me of lying. He just expected that I'd tell him I scored a 29. (He actually said that. :laugh: ) In general, people who know me first before they find out my score seem to have this, "really, YOU???" reaction. Evidently, I don't give people the impression that I'm someone who could make that kind of score on the MCAT. :smuggrin: On the other hand, people who find out about the score first and then meet me are convinced that I'm a genius. :p But we all know that I can't be, because YOU are thegenius. :cool:

I just though of another funny interview I had. The interviewer started out by saying, "Tell me about yourself." So I did, and the next thing you know, the time was up. This school had very strict interview time limits, and I had another interview immediately after the first. The interviewer was pretty upset that they hadn't gotten to ask any more questions after the first one, so as we were walking back to the interviewee room, the interviewer says, "I didn't even get to ask you my favorite question." And I'm thinking, "Uh-oh, this person is a freaking shrink. God only knows what kind of 'favorite question' a shrink would come up with!" But it turns out that the interviewer's favorite question was, "What do you like to do for fun?" :smuggrin: So there I am, trying to demonstrate a yoga position as we're walking, which for the record, is not easy to do, and I am sure it must have made quite the first impression on interviewer #2 when I arrived at the interviewee room like that. :laugh:

kdburton said:

You guys are butchering the question. I think 2sexy got it right. Others were close, but the question was about the second and the minute hands, not hour hand. Actually, I think it should be anywhere from 84-90 degrees, but whatever. Each of the 60 minutes is 6 degrees, so depending on if the minute hand moves in sub-minute increments, etc. it could be 84 degrees the moment the second hand reaches the twelve if the minute hand is still pointing on 14, right before it moves to 15. That's a technicality. Answer should be 90 degrees.

kdburton said:

why isn`t it 90 degrees?....

shuey123 said:
why isn`t it 90 degrees?

It's not a trick question, but pre-meds (I include myself here) tend to overthink.
The simplest answer is the correct one...there are 90 degrees of separation between the second hand and the minute hand at 3:15...
If you want to get specific about the type of clock, the fractions of difference at exactly the right time, then that is your problem.... :p

ladydoc2be said:
"were you poor growing up?" and "what's your credit like?"

I'm black, but damn. Not all black people are broke with bad credit.

I was asked the same thing...plus every personal transgression of every closely related family member. I did indicate disadvantaged, but all of my interviewers asked extremely personal questions about my childhood

If it makes you feel any better, I guess I get to play the "po' white trash" diversity card

alpenglow said:
I was asked the same thing...plus every personal transgression of every closely related family member. I did indicate disadvantaged, but all of my interviewers asked extremely personal questions about my childhood

If it makes you feel any better, I guess I get to play the "po' white trash" diversity card
I had one interviewer ask me to define a good doctor, and part of my answer was about sensitivity to cultural differences. He thought I harped on that too much, and questioned whether I was going to the other extreme, which was to assume certain differences just by looking at someone's appearance. In my effort to convince him that I'm not one to jump to conclusions of that kind, I spoke briefly about my experiences being multiracial. So, I brought the topic up, and didn't mind talking about it, but then he says "Okay, interview aside, just tell me honestly what it's like to be the product of a black and a white parent because my niece and nephew are biracial and I want to know what kind of problems they'll face." I kind of laughed to myself, and just answered his question.

NapeSpikes said:
You guys are butchering the question. I think 2sexy got it right. Others were close, but the question was about the second and the minute hands, not hour hand. Actually, I think it should be anywhere from 84-90 degrees, but whatever. Each of the 60 minutes is 6 degrees, so depending on if the minute hand moves in sub-minute increments, etc. it could be 84 degrees the moment the second hand reaches the twelve if the minute hand is still pointing on 14, right before it moves to 15. That's a technicality. Answer should be 90 degrees.

I agree

I was asked "Are you happy with your life and who you are?"
Kinda threw me for a loop, though I think I know what answer he wanted, I just said that for the most part I am happy. Very awkward question

dom1n1c said:

How does it feel to be black??!??!? What a question!!

deuist said:

Ya i meant to say the minute and hour hand. When it is 3:15 the minute hand is obviously on the 3 and the hour hand has moved .25 hours towards 4 to compensate for that quarter hour of time. Because each hour of the clock is broken up into 30 degree increments every hour and there is a quarter-hour separation of the hands, the degree of separation is 7.5 degrees. This question was actually asked at a hedge fund I applied at during my senior year...

You've just got to laugh in their faces. I had a concussion for my interview at U Mich and I spent the whole time with a great sense of humor. I think I cursed a few times in my interviews...I have a bad mouth and it's hard to control when I have a headache. :D

etf said:
if you were President Bush's advisor, what would you do?

i mean, what the hell do you expect me to say to that?
Wow that is a great question. I guess he/she wanted to know where you stand politically? What did you say?

QofQuimica said:

I have a question for you..

If you look here http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/pubs.htm click on the tables for the last few years, look at overall scores and "percent achieving score", and it says 0.0 scored a 43 for the past 2 years. Did they screw up, or are you fibbing? Maybe there was so few people that they just rounded to zero rather than put .001 %

chaldobruin said:

If you look here http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/pubs.htm click on the tables for the last few years, look at overall scores and "percent achieving score", and it says 0.0 scored a 43 for the past 2 years. Did they screw up, or are you fibbing? Maybe there was so few people that they just rounded to zero rather than put .001 %
How about you do this (challenging) math problem:
What's 3/60,000 to two sig figs?

Okay I have one... my interviewer at one school knew nothing about me other than where I went to undergrad because I had just told him (he had not read my application), and his first question is:

"Did you get into Harvard because you were a recruited athlete or a legacy?"

As in... it must have been either one or the other. I told him I got into Harvard because I did exceptionally well in high school. Sheesh, assuming much, are we? It got a little awkward though when I had to explain that I did in fact play a sport in college... although last time I checked, being an athlete and being smart were not mutually exclusive.

happydays said:
How about you do this (challenging) math problem:
What's 3/60,000 to two sig figs?

5.0 e-5!

Did you think about applying as disadvantaged since you're from a state with a poor educational system?

My interviewer at the U of Miami said he thinks that Muslim Friday prayers should be banned because they incite violence, and he asked if I agreed.

because i had some social activism listed in my application, one of my interviewers asked me, 'so, when you finally get patients, are you going to try to lecture them about all the things that are wrong with the world?'

no one's that dense, so i assumed he was being facetious.

chaldobruin said:

The year that Q took the MCAT, three people scored a 43---the highest score for that round of test takers. Two of those three applicants use SDN regularly. You've already insulted one. I'll let you use the search function to find the other.

Renoir said:
Describe, in detail, the process of photosynthesis (seriously?)

and use any of the laws of thermodynamics to refute darwinism (huh?) So I thought, well, entropy is increasing disorder... :rolleyes: whatever

Wow. That's ridiculous. You can't use laws of thermodynamics to refute "darwinism".

Where was that?

The question wasn't strange,

"What's the last movie you enjoyed?"

but my answer was rough,

"Apocalypse Now"

Honesty can be awkward!

One interviewer started by saying "so, you grew up in Long Island...you went to middle school...tell me about that"

Middle school??? are you kidding!?!?!?! He made me go through my entire life with a fine tooth comb....and I'm in my thirties. The interview took almost an hour and a half.

Hook17 said:
My interviewer at the U of Miami said he thinks that Muslim Friday prayers should be banned because they incite violence, and he asked if I agreed.

What did you say?

NapeSpikes said:

If the question was about the degrees of separation between "minute hand" and "second hand," technically if you're moving "clockwise," the answer would be 270 degrees (from the minute at 15 forward around to the second at the top of the clock). 90 would be the answer for the distance between "second" and "minute."

Not that it matters, since we've now learned that the original question wasn't about the second hand at all... :laugh:

Oculus Sinistra said:
Wow. That's ridiculous. You can't use laws of thermodynamics to refute "darwinism".

Where was that?

I am taking a History of the Life Sciences course and the following is an excerpt from an article which supports creationism. The authors contest that entropy would have prevented the ordered events which led to the development of the first cell.

I. The Universe and the Solar System Were Suddenly Created.

The First Law of Thermodynamics states that the total quantity
of matter and energy in the universe is constant. The Second Law of
Thermodynamics states that matter and energy always tend to change
from complex and ordered states to disordered states. Therefore the
universe could not have created itself, but could not have existed forever,
or it would have run down long ago. Thus the universe, including
matter and energy, apparently must have been created.
The "big-bang" theory of the origin of the universe contradicts
much physical evidence and seemingly can only be accepted by faith..
This was also the case with the past cosmogonic theories of evolutionists
that have been discarded, such as Hoyle's steady-state theory.
The universe has "obvious manifestations of an ordered, structured
plan or design." Similarly, the "electron is materially inconceivable
and yet it is so perfectly known through its effects," yet a "strange
rationale makes some physicists accept the inconceivable electrons as
real while refusing to accept the reality of a Designer." "The inconceivability
of some ultimate issue (which will always lie outside scientific
resolution) should not be allowed to rule out any theory that explains
the interrelationship of observed data and is useful for prediction," in
the words of Dr. Wemher Yon Braun, the renowned late physicist in
the NASA space program.

II. Life Was Suddenly Created.

Life appears abruptly and in complex forms in the fossil record,'